• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your first experience of foreign train travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

coupwotcoup

In 1987 a friend had just bought a bar in Northern Spain and invited me and the missus over.

Had not been abroad, apart from fag runs to Calais/Boulogne et al, since 1973, which was my
one and only flying experience - well twice if you count the return journey.

So, I was still not at one with being stuck in a tube at 30k feet, and my initial plan was the coach
but 24 hours rubbing shoulders with the great unwashed was not my idea of fun.

Spent a week out there and was in a taxi going to restaurant outside town and suddenly noticed
a railway line and on my return to Blighty, I made inroads as to the feasibility of doing the trip by train.

Of course those days there was no Interweb so having purchased a ERT from WH Smith, worked
out a planned route and it was off to the RailEurope offices in Piccadilly to sort out the tickets

I'm sure there's plenty of you who remember the 'France Vacances' tickets. Three days first-class
travel in a month was great value and it was a shame I was only using it twice, as invariably the
conductors never bothered asking me to sign the panel for the day of travel.

So the following year, 1988, I set off from Waterloo to Newhaven harbour and took the overnight
ferry to Dieppe, where I stepped aboard my first foreign train.

This is all from memory as I don't have said timetable from then, I changed at Rouen at silly o'clock
and had to hang around for a couple of hours watching the Seine go by, and got propositioned by
a French Tom too...before embarking on my first TGV.

At the time, this was an experience in itself and probably changed again at Montpellier.

Can't recall the first time I went, if I got the Talgo to Girona or the classic line to Porbou then
down to Massenes/Macenet and change for Blanes.

Loved the Talgo bar back in the day as it always seemed to turn into a party.

For the return I had to leave town at around 8.30pm and head back to Cerbere where the night
trains to Italy did depart. Changed again at Lyon PD about 5am and another TGV to Paris.

This timed nicely with the special trains that ran from Paris GdN to Calais Hoverport station then
back to Blighty on the quickest form of public transport ever to have crossed the Channel before
getting home to East London about 3pm the following afternoon.

Will have to get myself an old ERT from that time just to see how long the whole operation took.

All different now as I can get the first E* out of London and still get a couple of hours on the beach,
or by the pool, in Spain on the same day.

Have some great memories of doing the trip at least once a year ever since.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CW2

Established Member
Some time in the mid-late 60s - my first ever foreign trip was a family outing from Reading to Boulogne. I was already interested in railways by then, so I was most insistent that we visited Boulogne Maritime station, where a (to me) ENORMOUS steam loco stood at the head of a train to Paris. The driver invited me onto the footplate, making my day. Somewhere, lost in the archives, is a photo of a very grubby small boy leaning out of the cab of a steam loco, smiling happily. I was hooked ...

StephenHunter

Established Member
Pretty sure that the GDR frontier station was at Marienborn, not Helmstedt, but otherwise, great story.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Hello citycat.

That report including name could be in the Stasi Files kept by the BStU.
With famliy interest you should be able to get access if anything exist.
Send them an Email!

Martin

StephenHunter

Established Member
Indeed. The loco swap was done at Helmstedt, the GDR frontier checks at Marienborn. Now of course the ICEs go via Oebisfelde.

citycat

I happily stand to be corrected. As I was asleep or sucking on my dummy, I wouldn’t know.

In later years, my mother always mentioned Helmstedt when telling me the story, but it could have indeed taken place at Marienborn. It was definitely GDR that took her off.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Hello citycat.

That report including name could be in the Stasi Files kept by the BStU.
With famliy interest you should be able to get access if anything exist.
Send them an Email!

Martin

Good luck with Stassi file access - circa 1984 I got almost certainly followed in East Berlin as I went off the beaten track on a day visit , bought a book on the S-Bahn by Transpress ,and got "detained" at F/Strasse and searched thoroughly. When they found the book , they sent for higher authority. I told them I was a manager on British Rail and so impressed with the system that I was going to give a talk on it to my fellow managers. I presented my BR Business cars - there was a pause , and I was cleared through.

Never have I been so glad to get on a train away from the DDR !

So I went to the Stassi record center and was told to "go away" basically - so there might be a file. They certainly did not make it easy to explore (not that the place was at all busy when I called in)

Fascinating experience , glad I did it.

citycat

We made many subsequent trips to Warsaw by train as a family.

Again, I’ll just repeat a post I made last year on the subject, for anyone that missed it first time.
This features memories of childhood trips to Poland by train to visit my grandparents and other Polish relations. We would go every two years.

Traveling on a ferry across the North Sea from Harwich Parkeston Quay to Hoek van Holland. The crossing would take six hours as part of the Day Continental service from Liverpool Street, and the ferry was the St George I believe. The boat train from London was usually Mk 1 stock and a class 31 or 37 at the head.

Arriving at the Hoek to find the station full of trains. There was the local one to Amsterdam of course, usually one other, and then our train, the Nord West express. As you walked down the platform, the train would consist of DB coaching stock in green or blue for Berlin, Hamburg, and Copenhagen. There was also PKP green couchette and seating coaches for Warsaw. However, as we only went every two years, my dad would pay extra for the very last coach at the head of the train. A very imposing dark green coach with ribbed sides, brass badging on the side, and lace curtains at the windows. The RZD Russian sleeping car from Hoek to Moscow via Berlin and Warsaw. Complete with stern looking sleeping car conductor.

Ex BR electric loco at the head of the consist, that used to run over Woodhead. Sorry, I don't know the class.

Sitting on the plush bottom bunk, looking out over the flat farmland of Holland as the train made its first stops at Rotterdam Schiedam and Utrecht Centraal. Little did I know then that as the train went from Rotterdam to Utrecht, it passed through the town station of Woerden, the Dutch town in which I now live.

Remembering the first of many border guards that would board the train during the journey, the first being at Hengelo I believe near the Dutch/West German border.

My dad doing ilicit money exchange with the sleeping car conductor, exchanging US dollars for Polish Zlotys. Also agreeing to help the conductor smuggle packs of 200 Marlboro in exchange for unlimited tea, served in glasses with exotic looking holders.

Other passengers changing into pyjamas for the entire trip.

The scary (for a little boy) passage between two coaches, via the concertina curtains and the bouncing corrugated step plates, with the track passing beneath.

Being awoken in the early hours of the morning by loud rapping on the door and the light being switched on, as the West German guards and then the East German guards did the passport check at Helmstedt.

Being awoken again by more passport checks at the East German/West Berlin border at Marienborn.

Watching out of the window as we traversed West Berlin at Hauptbahnhof and Zoo stations, and even more intense passport checks by East German guards.

Watching out of the window again as the train slowly passed through the Berlin Wall, seeing all the watch towers, barbed wire, no mans land, and the wall itself as the train passed through on an elevated section of track.

Arriving into Berlin Ostbahnhoff and seeing green DR coaching stock and Mitropa sleeping and restaurant cars on various other trains.

Remembering the grim and depressing looking blocks of flats near the station, so different from what I saw in West Berlin.

Remembering our Russian car and the PKP cars being shunted into a siding near Ostbahnhoff for a couple of hours with no explanations, and no one asking, it was just accepted, and then finally coupling up to some DDR stock and trundling to Frankfurt Oder for the final border check with Poland.

Remembering the Polish PKP locos that reminded me of class 82 and 83's from the WCML.

Finally arriving into Warsawa Gdansk station some 28 hours after leaving Liverpool Street, and seeing lots of massive black PKP steam locos puffing through the station pulling iron ore or coal wagons. And about twenty of my relatives waiting on the platform as arriving cousins from the West was a big event in those days.

The return journey was the same, except even more intense at Berlin Ostbahnhoff. As another poster said, they would run barking guard dogs under the train, use mirrors, lift all the seats in the compartments or all the mattresses in the sleeper. They would search the locomotive, and border guards would ride the train back to West Berlin.

I was in Berlin Ostbahnhoff a few weeks ago, and now it is just a sleepy Berlin station. It was strange to stand there and remember back to those Cold War days !

citycat

Just one more repost from last year for anyone who is interested.

This thread has proved to be quite interesting, and I thought I might add a bit more to it by going into some deeper detail regarding our bi annual trips to cold war Poland, including some of the preparations. Unfortunately, it’s turned out to be a very long post so apologies for this. However, I hope you may find it interesting reading. I’d make a cup of tea first though.

Firstly, just some background. My dad was Polish and came over during WW2 and served in the Polish air force. He met my mum who was English and served in the RAF, and then my dad stayed in the UK after the war. He worked for British Rail at BRB headquarters in Marylebone, and his office was directly under the then Chairman Sir Peter Parker. He said he could hear Sir Peter ranting occasionally when things were going wrong somewhere on the system. As a result of my dad’s job, we always travelled to Poland by train using a combination of FIP coupons and FIP rail discounts.

Preparations for a trip behind the Iron curtain would start as early as a year in advance. We would try to take as many gifts as we could for our extended family members so we would start amassing things over the year. Stuff that could not be readily obtained in the East. I can’t really remember what my mum and dad used to put aside, but as a teenager, I was given the task of taking care of my young cousins and given a budget to spend over the year putting together presents. I would try to make the most of the budget, and made several trips to Portobello market in West London.

Very popular among my cousins was anything from the West that could not be got in Poland and would help them to achieve a ‘cool’ status among their friends. So, I went to several stalls and would try and find pairs of jeans, tee shirts with logos or slogans, and patches that could be sewn onto clothing. Stuff like the Smiley face, or two fingers giving a victory sign or patches with rock band names, stuff like that. Anything American was a sure winner. Records were very popular and I would go to a local record store on Portobello road and buy stuff from The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Moody Blues, Deep Purple etc. The LP covers were just as important as they would go onto bedroom walls. I would also buy Athena posters as it was all light weight stuff that we could carry.

Another place I went to was Lawrence Corner in London. A famous army surplus store. I would go raking through their bargain bins looking for any military stuff like tee shirts, and military patches. One of my older cousins rode a Russian or Chinese motorcycle in Warsaw and I managed to find a bargain WW2 US army helmet with webbing and some Biggles style aviator goggles. My dad also bought a pack of Lucky Strike cigarettes to go into the webbing. My cousin later rode around the streets of Warsaw wearing that helmet and goggles thinking he was Clint Eastwood from Kelly’s Heroes. He didn’t even smoke but the packet of Lucky Strike gave him the extra cool factor among his friends.

About three months before departure, my dad and I would take the tube over to Victoria station. We would troop though the station and across the road to the Continental Travel Centre in Semley Place. In the travel centre, we would then go through an unmarked door and this led into the BR staff travel section, Here, a whole morning or afternoon could be spent while the two clerks dealt with staff bookings. With a pencil behind his ear, the clerk would take details, and then busy himself making phone calls or sending telexes to various Continental administrations, or writing out chits. Hopefully, after a couple of hours, my dad and I would walk away with reservations for the sleeper or couchettes, the port taxes for the ferry, and any FIP discounted tickets for me or my mum that were required in addition to our coupons.

On the day of departure, we would get a black cab over to Liverpool street station, with about three or four suitcases packed with our clothes for the trip and all the many gifts we were bringing for family. Although we were loaded down with suitcases, it was never a real problem. In those days there were porters to carry your bags from the taxi rank to the boat train at Liverpool Street, then porters at Parkeston Quay to carry the cases onto the ferry, and then porters at the Hoek to carry the cases off the ferry and over to the Nord West express.

The boat train to Harwich was the Day Continental, normally blue & grey Mk 1’s and a class 31 or 37. We would normally sit in the first coach as my dad knew I liked to hang out of the window as we set off and hear the 31 or 37 thrashing away through East London towards Stratford. At Harwich, we would go through passport control and then onto the boat, the St George I believe, meeting the porter with our cases in the saloon. Although I really liked the ferry, I suffered with the ‘Mal de Mare’ a bit as a child, and if the North sea was a bit rough, the six hour crossing could be a nightmare.

I would always watch the docking process from the outside deck as we arrived at Hoek of Holland, and look down onto the station beside the quay and see the waiting trains down below. It’s a shame to go to the Hoek nowadays, and see the station a shell of what it once was. After disembarkation, we would follow the Dutch porter through the passport and customs checks, and then round to the train. I’ve stated before that there were DB coaches for Hamburg Altona and Copenhagen, and PKP seating and couchette cars for Warsawa, and then at the head of the train behind the NS class 1500 loco (class 77 UK), would be the imposing RZD sleeping car for Moskva.

There was one time, 1974 I think, when we walked down the train and arrived at the loco, but no sleeping car. The NS train guard for the local to Amsterdam was stood on the adjoining platform ‘waiting time’ for his service, and unfortunately for him, he was surrounded by several excitable Eastern European passengers demanding to know where their sleeping car was. Of course, he didn’t know and went off to try and find someone who could. My dad was not among the throng though. Being a railwayman himself, he guessed something had gone on for operational reasons and busied himself grabbing a seating compartment for me and my mum and getting the porter to stow the bags.

Meanwhile, the NS guard returned with the guard for our own train who informed the group that the Westbound service had been heavily delayed earlier in the day, and that the sleeping car had been taken off at Hengelo to avoid it being delayed and it was waiting there. That mean’t a bit of a scrum now for the sleeping car passengers to find seats and stow their bags, while my dad had been ahead of the game and we were nicely sat already. When we got to Hengelo, we got the suitcases off. Luckily, the seating coach was near the head of the train so we didn’t have to carry them far. I watched as the NS loco pulled forward, and then the station pilot propelled the sleeping car from a nearby siding (in the days when some Dutch stations had pilots based nearby). As the sleeping car approached the train, I could see the Russian sleeping car attendant standing on the metal steps wiping down the handrails as the sleeping car buffered up. It was a swift operation. Ten minutes saw the sleeping car passengers on board, the pilot loco withdrawn back into the siding, and the NS loco back onto the head of the train.

Normally though, the sleeping car would be at the Hoek of Holland waiting for us. To a young lad brought up on Michael Caine’s ‘Harry Palmer’, the sleeping car always looked sinister and the start of the main adventure. It looked so sombre and imposing, this dark green carriage with its badges, lace curtains, Cyrillic lettering, ribbed bodywork and the pale faced severe looking sleeping car attendant in his RZD uniform. It was always a male on these trips. I don’t know if female attendants ever made it on Westbound services? Oh, and the destination plate on the side. Hoek v Holland, Berlin Ost, Warszawa Gd, Mockba. This was the real deal !

The sleeping car attendant always seemed to make a big deal of the documentation. Carefully examining each document carefully including passport before finally allowing you access to his sleeping car. I was always taken by how plush the sleeping car seemed compared to the couchettes we’d occasionally taken in the past. From the lace curtains to the carpet in the corridor, the three plump bunks in the compartment (I am an only child so there were no siblings to worry about. Just mum, dad and myself), the black and white photos of Moscow and St Petersburg on the compartment wall, and the filigree tea holders on the compartment table.

I was always surprised at how some passengers would immediately get changed into pyjamas before departure from the Hoek, and remain that way for the entire journey, until my dad explained that’s how a lot of Russians liked to travel.

Regarding the sleeping car attendant and my dad, I got the impression that the Russians and Poles tolerated each other, but didn’t particularly like each other. However, during the journey, my dad would have some discreet meetings with him. Black market money exchanges would sometimes take place to get Polish Zloty at a preferable rate to the official one, plus a carton or two of Marlboro Red would be secreted in the compartment on behalf of the attendant in exchange for unlimited tea and biscuits for the journey. If it was just dad and I travelling, a few US dollar bills to the attendant would ensure the third bunk remained empty.

On departure from the Hoek, I would settle onto the bunk to watch the flat countryside of Holland out of the window, and try to spot my first windmill. The first stop would be at Rotterdam Schiedam. I now live in Holland in the town of Woerden, and the Nord West express used to pass through Gouda and Woerden on the way to the next stop at Utrecht Centraal. My late Dutch father in law said he used to see the train at Schiedam while waiting for his local to Woerden after finishing work at a furniture store, and remembered the Russian sleeping car. Little did I know back in the seventies and sat on that bunk, that I would one day be living in a town on the route of the former Nord West express.

After Utrecht Centraal the train would head through Amersfoort to Hengelo where I believe the German border guards would get on to have their checks done by the time the train reached the German border at Bentheim. I may be wrong though. The NS loco would normally come off at Bentheim to be replaced by a DB loco. The train would then carry on to Osnabruck where I believe the Hamburg and Copenhagen cars came off, and then Hannover and Helmstedt, the East German border in the early hours of the morning. We would normally be in bed by this time but forget getting a good night’s sleep. You would clearly hear the East German guards in the corridor going from compartment to compartment, and then when they got to you, there would be two fierce knocks before the compartment door was flung open and the compartment light switched on.

From memory, the East German guards were exactly as depicted in various spy films, with their uniforms and loud abrupt manner. I always remember the guard checking the passports and other documentation had a little desk strapped to his chest, complete with rubber stamps and visas etc. While he was doing the documents, another guard would be casting his eyes around the compartment and glancing at the suitcases, and it’s probably at this point that my dad would start to sweat a little.

On the ferry crossing to the Hoek, my dad would always go to the duty free shop to get some spirits, and even though he didn’t smoke, he would always get a carton or two of 200 cigarettes, and always Benson & Hedges Gold. I never understood why, but later I did. It was amazing how a packet or two of Benson & Hedges could oil the wheels of bureaucracy during the border checks and avoid suitcases being opened. The East German guards particularly liked B &H apparently as the gold packets looked very exotic in their breast pockets.

After Helmstedt, the DB loco had been exchanged in favour of a DR one and we carried on through the night to the West Berlin border at Marienborn. I can’t remember if there were more checks at Marienborn but I would imagine so. I remember we stopped at two stations in in West Berlin (around 7am I think), Friedrichstrasse and then Zoo. However, I cannot remember where further border checks were made? If it was before the wall or after when we got to Berlin Ost. I just remember looking out of the window as we headed to Berlin Ost on an elevated section of track, and clearly seeing the wall and the no man’s land on the East German side, and seeing how the architecture changed from West to East Berlin.

Maybe the checks were carried out at Berlin Ost, as I clearly remember officials getting on there. As we sat in Berlin Ost, I remember seeing the dingy looking trains of DR arriving and departing, and the dark maroon of Mitropa sleeping cars and restaurant cars dotted about on trains from the East.

A couple of times but not always, after checks were completed, the PKP couchette and seating car and the sleeper were shunted out of Berlin Ost and stabled in a weed strewn siding amongst DR freight wagons, and just left there for an hour or two. No explanations and none asked for by the passengers. We just sat there and it was accepted. Eventually, we were propelled back into the station and coupled up to another train, and then set off for the short journey to the Polish border at Frankfurt Oder. The Polish officials were normally quite quick with their checks on Polish nationals, albeit holding blue UK passports, and then my dad and I would step off onto the platform to have a walk.

When I started my European travels in earnest as a teenager, one of the first tools I acquired was a T key for continental trains, Similar to a British Rail T key but with a hollow square socket as opposed to the solid square socket with BR. It was always useful for unlocking slide down windows, or securing compartment doors when trying to keep a compartment for sole occupancy on overnight trains. However, it was always frustrating travelling in the sleeper. The RZD had to be different to everyone else and used a triangle lock on their stock. It was impossible to get an RZD key and the attendant used to keep the sliding windows firmly locked apart from his pantry window. Also, my dad forbade me to get off the train at any point unaccompanied in case I just disappeared. Therefore, for a boy interested in the railway operations of the train, I could not keep a track of all the shunting movements and engine swaps.

When we got off for a stroll at Frankfurt Oder, it was the first time I could really see the train since we left the Hoek. The consist of the train had changed entirely. The sleeping car instead of being at the head of the train was now in the middle. As said before, we had lost the Scandanavia cars in the night, the PKP couchette and seating coaches were behind us, then the sleeping car, then DR or PKP seating coaches from Berlin Ost to Warszawa. As we strolled to the front of the train, my dad and I would watch as the DR loco came off and a PKP one came on propelling the Polish restaurant car with WARS (wagon restauracyjny) emblazoned on the side. It was a welcome sight for my dad as we would always walk down the train around Rzepin for a traditional Polish lunch in the restaurant car. Borscht for starters (yuck !), and then pork and potatoes for mains. The stop at Poznan would see us heading back to the sleeping car in preparation for our arrival into Warszawa Gdanska.

On arrival into Warsaw, at least twenty family and friends would be waiting on the platform to greet us. Cousins visiting from the West was a big thing in those days, especially when it was only every two years. As I was being smothered in kisses from aunts and grandparents and cousins, I would be looking back at the sleeping car, and wishing I could carry on to Moscow with it, and experience the bogie changing process I had heard about. We would be herded down the platform, all my relatives loud and excitable, and cram into several ancient cars including my uncle’s FSO Warszawa (google that make of car to see one), plus all our suitcases, and go off to my aunt’s flat in Warsaw, all twenty piled into her small flat. The evening would be spent eating and drinking and dishing out the presents to my grateful cousins. It was truly xmas come early for them when the English cousins arrived from the West.

We would spend about three weeks in Warsaw and other places in Poland before the return journey. Just as much came back with us in our suitcases as went. It was mostly Polish crystal carefully wrapped, articles of clothing like soft pig skin gloves, and furs which were cheaply available and could be sold on in London for a nice premium. For me it was model trains. East German model trains were cheaply available and very high quality. As I write this, there is a model train on my son’s window sill comprising Mitropa sleeping cars, DR and CsD (Czech Republic) green seating coaches. Unfortunately, my son does not show an interest in trains (who can blame him being brought up with efficient but boring Dutch trains), so the model train is more for my amusement.

I won’t bore you with the details of the return journey. Suffice to say just as many relatives came to see us off again, and more Benson & Hedges Gold were used during border checks to avoid the unnecessary opening of suitcases. However, at Berlin Ost, the checks were much more intense. In addition to document checks, soldiers were going through the train lifting every seat or sleeping berth, searching all cupboards, searching the locomotive, and running barking dogs under the train and using mirrors. As we went into West Berlin, DDR soldiers were still on board and leaning out of doorways and windows as the train made its slow progress into the West.

When we finally reached the Hoek of Holland, our Dutch vessel for the crossing back to Harwich PQ was usually the Koningen Juliana I believe. If the North sea was being kind, I always enjoyed a creamy dessert in the cafeteria called Mona Tujhe, a pot of which is in my fridge right this minute.

Apologies again for this long post.

So, to answer the OP. Was it a mundane event to travel behind the Iron Curtain? I personally would say it was far from mundane. There were enough characters to fill a spy movie twice over, there was always apprehension if your travel documents were in order or if you would be pulled off the train at any time as my mum found out at Helmstedt. There was also apprehension if your belongings would be confiscated by customs, negated by a few bribes here and there. The train itself could be delayed by hours. And for my late dad himself, there was a bit of apprehension. He initially settled in the UK after the war as part of the Poles in Exile, and although he was travelling under the relative protection of a full UK passport, there was always that underlying fear that something could happen and he might not be allowed to cross back to the West. So yes, far from mundane.

Apologies if I seem to have hijacked the thread. Please return to first time on a foreign train posts.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

This thread has proved to be quite interesting, and I thought I might add a bit more to it by going into some deeper detail regarding our bi annual trips to cold war Poland, including some of the preparations. Unfortunately, it’s turned out to be a very long post so apologies for this. However, I hope you may find it interesting reading. I’d make a cup of tea first though.

Firstly, just some background. My dad was Polish and came over during WW2 and served in the Polish air force. He met my mum who was English and served in the RAF, and then my dad stayed in the UK after the war. He worked for British Rail at BRB headquarters in Marylebone, and his office was directly under the then Chairman Sir Peter Parker. He said he could hear Sir Peter ranting occasionally when things were going wrong somewhere on the system. As a result of my dad’s job, we always travelled to Poland by train using a combination of FIP coupons and FIP rail discounts.

Preparations for a trip behind the Iron curtain would start as early as a year in advance. We would try to take as many gifts as we could for our extended family members so we would start amassing things over the year. Stuff that could not be readily obtained in the East. I can’t really remember what my mum and dad used to put aside, but as a teenager, I was given the task of taking care of my young cousins and given a budget to spend over the year putting together presents. I would try to make the most of the budget, and made several trips to Portobello market in West London.

Very popular among my cousins was anything from the West that could not be got in Poland and would help them to achieve a ‘cool’ status among their friends. So, I went to several stalls and would try and find pairs of jeans, tee shirts with logos or slogans, and patches that could be sewn onto clothing. Stuff like the Smiley face, or two fingers giving a victory sign or patches with rock band names, stuff like that. Anything American was a sure winner. Records were very popular and I would go to a local record store on Portobello road and buy stuff from The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Moody Blues, Deep Purple etc. The LP covers were just as important as they would go onto bedroom walls. I would also buy Athena posters as it was all light weight stuff that we could carry.

Another place I went to was Lawrence Corner in London. A famous army surplus store. I would go raking through their bargain bins looking for any military stuff like tee shirts, and military patches. One of my older cousins rode a Russian or Chinese motorcycle in Warsaw and I managed to find a bargain WW2 US army helmet with webbing and some Biggles style aviator goggles. My dad also bought a pack of Lucky Strike cigarettes to go into the webbing. My cousin later rode around the streets of Warsaw wearing that helmet and goggles thinking he was Clint Eastwood from Kelly’s Heroes. He didn’t even smoke but the packet of Lucky Strike gave him the extra cool factor among his friends.

About three months before departure, my dad and I would take the tube over to Victoria station. We would troop though the station and across the road to the Continental Travel Centre in Semley Place. In the travel centre, we would then go through an unmarked door and this led into the BR staff travel section, Here, a whole morning or afternoon could be spent while the two clerks dealt with staff bookings. With a pencil behind his ear, the clerk would take details, and then busy himself making phone calls or sending telexes to various Continental administrations, or writing out chits. Hopefully, after a couple of hours, my dad and I would walk away with reservations for the sleeper or couchettes, the port taxes for the ferry, and any FIP discounted tickets for me or my mum that were required in addition to our coupons.

On the day of departure, we would get a black cab over to Liverpool street station, with about three or four suitcases packed with our clothes for the trip and all the many gifts we were bringing for family. Although we were loaded down with suitcases, it was never a real problem. In those days there were porters to carry your bags from the taxi rank to the boat train at Liverpool Street, then porters at Parkeston Quay to carry the cases onto the ferry, and then porters at the Hoek to carry the cases off the ferry and over to the Nord West express.

The boat train to Harwich was the Day Continental, normally blue & grey Mk 1’s and a class 31 or 37. We would normally sit in the first coach as my dad knew I liked to hang out of the window as we set off and hear the 31 or 37 thrashing away through East London towards Stratford. At Harwich, we would go through passport control and then onto the boat, the St George I believe, meeting the porter with our cases in the saloon. Although I really liked the ferry, I suffered with the ‘Mal de Mare’ a bit as a child, and if the North sea was a bit rough, the six hour crossing could be a nightmare.

I would always watch the docking process from the outside deck as we arrived at Hoek of Holland, and look down onto the station beside the quay and see the waiting trains down below. It’s a shame to go to the Hoek nowadays, and see the station a shell of what it once was. After disembarkation, we would follow the Dutch porter through the passport and customs checks, and then round to the train. I’ve stated before that there were DB coaches for Hamburg Altona and Copenhagen, and PKP seating and couchette cars for Warsawa, and then at the head of the train behind the NS class 1500 loco (class 77 UK), would be the imposing RZD sleeping car for Moskva.

There was one time, 1974 I think, when we walked down the train and arrived at the loco, but no sleeping car. The NS train guard for the local to Amsterdam was stood on the adjoining platform ‘waiting time’ for his service, and unfortunately for him, he was surrounded by several excitable Eastern European passengers demanding to know where their sleeping car was. Of course, he didn’t know and went off to try and find someone who could. My dad was not among the throng though. Being a railwayman himself, he guessed something had gone on for operational reasons and busied himself grabbing a seating compartment for me and my mum and getting the porter to stow the bags.

Meanwhile, the NS guard returned with the guard for our own train who informed the group that the Westbound service had been heavily delayed earlier in the day, and that the sleeping car had been taken off at Hengelo to avoid it being delayed and it was waiting there. That mean’t a bit of a scrum now for the sleeping car passengers to find seats and stow their bags, while my dad had been ahead of the game and we were nicely sat already. When we got to Hengelo, we got the suitcases off. Luckily, the seating coach was near the head of the train so we didn’t have to carry them far. I watched as the NS loco pulled forward, and then the station pilot propelled the sleeping car from a nearby siding (in the days when some Dutch stations had pilots based nearby). As the sleeping car approached the train, I could see the Russian sleeping car attendant standing on the metal steps wiping down the handrails as the sleeping car buffered up. It was a swift operation. Ten minutes saw the sleeping car passengers on board, the pilot loco withdrawn back into the siding, and the NS loco back onto the head of the train.

Normally though, the sleeping car would be at the Hoek of Holland waiting for us. To a young lad brought up on Michael Caine’s ‘Harry Palmer’, the sleeping car always looked sinister and the start of the main adventure. It looked so sombre and imposing, this dark green carriage with its badges, lace curtains, Cyrillic lettering, ribbed bodywork and the pale faced severe looking sleeping car attendant in his RZD uniform. It was always a male on these trips. I don’t know if female attendants ever made it on Westbound services? Oh, and the destination plate on the side. Hoek v Holland, Berlin Ost, Warszawa Gd, Mockba. This was the real deal !

The sleeping car attendant always seemed to make a big deal of the documentation. Carefully examining each document carefully including passport before finally allowing you access to his sleeping car. I was always taken by how plush the sleeping car seemed compared to the couchettes we’d occasionally taken in the past. From the lace curtains to the carpet in the corridor, the three plump bunks in the compartment (I am an only child so there were no siblings to worry about. Just mum, dad and myself), the black and white photos of Moscow and St Petersburg on the compartment wall, and the filigree tea holders on the compartment table.

I was always surprised at how some passengers would immediately get changed into pyjamas before departure from the Hoek, and remain that way for the entire journey, until my dad explained that’s how a lot of Russians liked to travel.

Regarding the sleeping car attendant and my dad, I got the impression that the Russians and Poles tolerated each other, but didn’t particularly like each other. However, during the journey, my dad would have some discreet meetings with him. Black market money exchanges would sometimes take place to get Polish Zloty at a preferable rate to the official one, plus a carton or two of Marlboro Red would be secreted in the compartment on behalf of the attendant in exchange for unlimited tea and biscuits for the journey. If it was just dad and I travelling, a few US dollar bills to the attendant would ensure the third bunk remained empty.

On departure from the Hoek, I would settle onto the bunk to watch the flat countryside of Holland out of the window, and try to spot my first windmill. The first stop would be at Rotterdam Schiedam. I now live in Holland in the town of Woerden, and the Nord West express used to pass through Gouda and Woerden on the way to the next stop at Utrecht Centraal. My late Dutch father in law said he used to see the train at Schiedam while waiting for his local to Woerden after finishing work at a furniture store, and remembered the Russian sleeping car. Little did I know back in the seventies and sat on that bunk, that I would one day be living in a town on the route of the former Nord West express.

After Utrecht Centraal the train would head through Amersfoort to Hengelo where I believe the German border guards would get on to have their checks done by the time the train reached the German border at Bentheim. I may be wrong though. The NS loco would normally come off at Bentheim to be replaced by a DB loco. The train would then carry on to Osnabruck where I believe the Hamburg and Copenhagen cars came off, and then Hannover and Helmstedt, the East German border in the early hours of the morning. We would normally be in bed by this time but forget getting a good night’s sleep. You would clearly hear the East German guards in the corridor going from compartment to compartment, and then when they got to you, there would be two fierce knocks before the compartment door was flung open and the compartment light switched on.

From memory, the East German guards were exactly as depicted in various spy films, with their uniforms and loud abrupt manner. I always remember the guard checking the passports and other documentation had a little desk strapped to his chest, complete with rubber stamps and visas etc. While he was doing the documents, another guard would be casting his eyes around the compartment and glancing at the suitcases, and it’s probably at this point that my dad would start to sweat a little.

On the ferry crossing to the Hoek, my dad would always go to the duty free shop to get some spirits, and even though he didn’t smoke, he would always get a carton or two of 200 cigarettes, and always Benson & Hedges Gold. I never understood why, but later I did. It was amazing how a packet or two of Benson & Hedges could oil the wheels of bureaucracy during the border checks and avoid suitcases being opened. The East German guards particularly liked B &H apparently as the gold packets looked very exotic in their breast pockets.

After Helmstedt, the DB loco had been exchanged in favour of a DR one and we carried on through the night to the West Berlin border at Marienborn. I can’t remember if there were more checks at Marienborn but I would imagine so. I remember we stopped at two stations in in West Berlin (around 7am I think), Friedrichstrasse and then Zoo. However, I cannot remember where further border checks were made? If it was before the wall or after when we got to Berlin Ost. I just remember looking out of the window as we headed to Berlin Ost on an elevated section of track, and clearly seeing the wall and the no man’s land on the East German side, and seeing how the architecture changed from West to East Berlin.

Maybe the checks were carried out at Berlin Ost, as I clearly remember officials getting on there. As we sat in Berlin Ost, I remember seeing the dingy looking trains of DR arriving and departing, and the dark maroon of Mitropa sleeping cars and restaurant cars dotted about on trains from the East.

A couple of times but not always, after checks were completed, the PKP couchette and seating car and the sleeper were shunted out of Berlin Ost and stabled in a weed strewn siding amongst DR freight wagons, and just left there for an hour or two. No explanations and none asked for by the passengers. We just sat there and it was accepted. Eventually, we were propelled back into the station and coupled up to another train, and then set off for the short journey to the Polish border at Frankfurt Oder. The Polish officials were normally quite quick with their checks on Polish nationals, albeit holding blue UK passports, and then my dad and I would step off onto the platform to have a walk.

When I started my European travels in earnest as a teenager, one of the first tools I acquired was a T key for continental trains, Similar to a British Rail T key but with a hollow square socket as opposed to the solid square socket with BR. It was always useful for unlocking slide down windows, or securing compartment doors when trying to keep a compartment for sole occupancy on overnight trains. However, it was always frustrating travelling in the sleeper. The RZD had to be different to everyone else and used a triangle lock on their stock. It was impossible to get an RZD key and the attendant used to keep the sliding windows firmly locked apart from his pantry window. Also, my dad forbade me to get off the train at any point unaccompanied in case I just disappeared. Therefore, for a boy interested in the railway operations of the train, I could not keep a track of all the shunting movements and engine swaps.

When we got off for a stroll at Frankfurt Oder, it was the first time I could really see the train since we left the Hoek. The consist of the train had changed entirely. The sleeping car instead of being at the head of the train was now in the middle. As said before, we had lost the Scandanavia cars in the night, the PKP couchette and seating coaches were behind us, then the sleeping car, then DR or PKP seating coaches from Berlin Ost to Warszawa. As we strolled to the front of the train, my dad and I would watch as the DR loco came off and a PKP one came on propelling the Polish restaurant car with WARS (wagon restauracyjny) emblazoned on the side. It was a welcome sight for my dad as we would always walk down the train around Rzepin for a traditional Polish lunch in the restaurant car. Borscht for starters (yuck !), and then pork and potatoes for mains. The stop at Poznan would see us heading back to the sleeping car in preparation for our arrival into Warszawa Gdanska.

On arrival into Warsaw, at least twenty family and friends would be waiting on the platform to greet us. Cousins visiting from the West was a big thing in those days, especially when it was only every two years. As I was being smothered in kisses from aunts and grandparents and cousins, I would be looking back at the sleeping car, and wishing I could carry on to Moscow with it, and experience the bogie changing process I had heard about. We would be herded down the platform, all my relatives loud and excitable, and cram into several ancient cars including my uncle’s FSO Warszawa (google that make of car to see one), plus all our suitcases, and go off to my aunt’s flat in Warsaw, all twenty piled into her small flat. The evening would be spent eating and drinking and dishing out the presents to my grateful cousins. It was truly xmas come early for them when the English cousins arrived from the West.

We would spend about three weeks in Warsaw and other places in Poland before the return journey. Just as much came back with us in our suitcases as went. It was mostly Polish crystal carefully wrapped, articles of clothing like soft pig skin gloves, and furs which were cheaply available and could be sold on in London for a nice premium. For me it was model trains. East German model trains were cheaply available and very high quality. As I write this, there is a model train on my son’s window sill comprising Mitropa sleeping cars, DR and CsD (Czech Republic) green seating coaches. Unfortunately, my son does not show an interest in trains (who can blame him being brought up with efficient but boring Dutch trains), so the model train is more for my amusement.

I won’t bore you with the details of the return journey. Suffice to say just as many relatives came to see us off again, and more Benson & Hedges Gold were used during border checks to avoid the unnecessary opening of suitcases. However, at Berlin Ost, the checks were much more intense. In addition to document checks, soldiers were going through the train lifting every seat or sleeping berth, searching all cupboards, searching the locomotive, and running barking dogs under the train and using mirrors. As we went into West Berlin, DDR soldiers were still on board and leaning out of doorways and windows as the train made its slow progress into the West.

When we finally reached the Hoek of Holland, our Dutch vessel for the crossing back to Harwich PQ was usually the Koningen Juliana I believe. If the North sea was being kind, I always enjoyed a creamy dessert in the cafeteria called Mona Tujhe, a pot of which is in my fridge right this minute.

Apologies again for this long post.

So, to answer the OP. Was it a mundane event to travel behind the Iron Curtain? I personally would say it was far from mundane. There were enough characters to fill a spy movie twice over, there was always apprehension if your travel documents were in order or if you would be pulled off the train at any time as my mum found out at Helmstedt. There was also apprehension if your belongings would be confiscated by customs, negated by a few bribes here and there. The train itself could be delayed by hours. And for my late dad himself, there was a bit of apprehension. He initially settled in the UK after the war as part of the Poles in Exile, and although he was travelling under the relative protection of a full UK passport, there was always that underlying fear that something could happen and he might not be allowed to cross back to the West. So yes, far from mundane.

Apologies if I seem to have hijacked the thread. Please return to first time on a foreign train posts.

So just like crossing from Plymouth into Cornwall on GWR :D:D:D

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Mine was a trip to Germany in 2001, thus before the opening of Phase 2 of the CTRL and the Belgian HSL2 and HSL3. This involved catching the first Eurostar of the day from Waterloo, a massive queue for passport control on arrival in Brussels and I think we may have been naughty and crossed the tracks at our destination rather than using the subway due to a lack of lift access and heavy luggage.

There was a rather surreal moment on the outward journey when we went into the Travel Centre at Köln Hbf to check if we needed any supplements or reservations for the next leg of our journey, and the member of staff who served us was originally from Newhaven and had previously worked for SouthCentral!

alex397

Established Member
I was lucky as a child to be able to go to Disneyland Paris twice, on the Eurostar from Waterloo. I still remember what an incredible experience the Eurostar was (it still is!), arriving at Waterloo when it was dawn and the excitement of suddenly popping up in France.

My first local trip on a foreign railway would have been in Belgium. This was the first time of using the Eurostar again since those Disneyland trips. I stayed in Gent with some university friends, and using the local railways between Bruxelles, Gent and Brugge. I was pleased how easy it was to use, and with older stock than what i'm used to in the UK.

Actually, I've forgotten about my trip to Berlin while at university. This would have been my first experience of local trips on foreign railways. How can I forget that! We used the local train from Schönefeld Airport (with its time-warp of a station) to the city centre (my first journey on a double-decker carriage), and of course the U-Bahn and S-Bahn. I enjoyed that so much, I have revisited Berlin again twice (and was due to go in April!). As much as I love the London Underground, I think the Berlin system just about beats it for me, with the added interest of the Cold War history of the system. One thing that struck me was that the Berlin system feels modern but also a bit of a time warp in places.

The S Bahn was a heck of a time warp in the 80s and 90s. I was there when the West Berlin transport authority BVG took over the S Bahn from the East German Deutsches Reichsbahn. My first experience of wooden seating (surprisingly comfortable) and old sounding traction motors that reminded me of the equally ancient 4 EPBs of South London.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The S Bahn was a heck of a time warp in the 80s and 90s. I was there when the West Berlin transport authority BVG took over the S Bahn from the East German Deutsches Reichsbahn. My first experience of wooden seating (surprisingly comfortable) and old sounding traction motors that reminded me of the equally ancient 4 EPBs of South London.

I don't know about Berlin, but pre-war (1939) stock was still in use in Hamburg in the 1990s - wooden seats, tungsten lighting, the lot.

CW2

Established Member
<snip>
Many thanks for this - and no need to apologise for the comprehensive details. Great stuff.
In Berlin you pass through Zoo (in the West) before reaching Friedrichstrasse, which was the border for the East. The border checks would have been at Friedrichstrasse, which was usually a lengthy and bureacratic stop. (The train ran as a corridor train through East Germany, if I recall correctly, so Friedrichstrasse became the international / Inner German frontier).
It's all so different now.

StephenHunter

Established Member
GDR checks at Marienborn and a non-passenger stop at Griebnitzsee near Potsdam to check no-one had snuck on board. You needed a transit visa for the journey (available for a fee on the train) and the advice in the Thomas Cook timetable was in fact to fly...

The old GDR exit check building at Friedrichstrasse, known as "The Palace of Tears", is now a very good museum.

(Can we move the Cold War stuff to another thread please? It deserves it)

P Binnersley

1981 (I think) - Paris - via Hovercraft from Dover and Turbo train from Boulogne Aeroglisseur to Paris Nord with my parents. I think it was a "Golden Rail" holiday or something similar done on a "Visitor Passport" (folded card valid one year). Several trips on the Metro, but Versailles was on a coach tour.

eMeS

I made a post last year about my first ever trip on a foreign train, so just thought I’d repeat the post for anyone who missed it first time. Unfortunately, being just three months old, I don’t remember much about the journey.

My first ever trip through the Iron Curtain was in April 1960, when I was just three months old, and apparently had enough drama for my mother to rival a Len Deighton 'Funeral in Berlin' style novel. My dad was Polish and my mum was English. After I was born, my Polish grandparents were eager to see their new grandson. Unfortunately, my dad couldn't go for some work related reason so it was decided my mum would make the journey to Poland alone. She related this story to me in later years.

I'd like to think that somewhere in Germany, in a dusty vault belonging to the Deutsche Bahn, there is a faded train running ledger dating from the 1960's stored on a shelf, and on a page dated xx April 1960, a railway clerk has carefully made an entry using a fountain pen: Eastbound Nord West express delayed 23 minutes at Helmstedt - Passenger travel document irregularity.

As mentioned in my post somewhere above, I did National Service in the RAF in West Germany from August 1958 - August 1959, and your post well describes the ever present paranoia which was with all of us serving in West Germany or in West Berlin. My particular unit sited around 30 miles from the border, was reputed to be mined so that in the event of invasion from the East, cypher equipment could be destroyed at the push of a button. We were warned that our movements were routinely monitored by SOXMIS even though SOXMIS agents were supposed to display identification at all times... With regard to Berlin, we were under very strict instructions to never travel on the S-Bahn in case we were lured into East Berlin, and then used as a Cold-War bargaining chip.

newmilton

In 1974 we were living in Canada, having moved there in 1970 when my father, who was in the shipping industry, took a job in Montreal. Strictly speaking my first journey on a foreign train was shortly after arriving in Canada when, aged 12, my parents let me take the suburban service from Montreal's Central Station to Roxboro when we moved from our temporary hotel accommodation into a rented house. In 1974 however, I made my first trip back to England, my father having arranged passage for me on one of his company's ships from Montreal to Antwerp, where I was met by a company representative and taken to the station to make my way via Brussels North (yes, North) to Ostende for the ferry to Dover ... and back again several weeks later. All a huge thrill for a teenage train fanatic, though I do remember on the return trip - my language skills not being in those days what they are today - worrying whether Antwerpen and Anvers on the departure board were the same place. Having been back to Brussels several times since, I swear Brussels North has not changed a bit.

MotCO

Established Member

No need to apologise. I don't normally read long posts (:!:), but found your account fascinating.

The closest I've come to border control issues is when travelling with a couple of friends, one of them was stopped and checked thoroughly (but not actually searched) at the airport going out, at the airport arriving in Greece, and again leaving Greece. She must have looked like someone they were looking for. (Apologies for going off-topic)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
In 1974 we were living in Canada, having moved there in 1970 when my father, who was in the shipping industry, took a job in Montreal. Strictly speaking my first journey on a foreign train was shortly after arriving in Canada when, aged 12, my parents let me take the suburban service from Montreal's Central Station to Roxboro when we moved from our temporary hotel accommodation into a rented house. In 1974 however, I made my first trip back to England, my father having arranged passage for me on one of his company's ships from Montreal to Antwerp, where I was met by a company representative and taken to the station to make my way via Brussels North (yes, North) to Ostende for the ferry to Dover ... and back again several weeks later. All a huge thrill for a teenage train fanatic, though I do remember on the return trip - my language skills not being in those days what they are today - worrying whether Antwerpen and Anvers on the departure board were the same place. Having been back to Brussels several times since, I swear Brussels North has not changed a bit.

Bruxelles-Nord is stuck in a time warp, as is some of Midi. Central looked a little fresher when I went through it last November though. Chapelle and Congrès are a bit old-fashioned too however these are far less frequented than the main three stations. Schumann and Luxembourg have both been brought into the 21st Century in a massive way thanks to the RER Bruxellois.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Bruxelles-Nord is stuck in a time warp, as is some of Midi. Central looked a little fresher when I went through it last November though. Chapelle and Congrès are a bit old-fashioned too however these are far less frequented than the main three stations. Schumann and Luxembourg have both been brought into the 21st Century in a massive way thanks to the RER Bruxellois.

I think it could probably be said that Belgium is stuck in a time-warp, often in a charming way but also often in a run-down, mucky way too.

Calthrop

Established Member
As mentioned in my post somewhere above, I did National Service in the RAF in West Germany from August 1958 - August 1959, and your post well describes the ever present paranoia which was with all of us serving in West Germany or in West Berlin. My particular unit sited around 30 miles from the border, was reputed to be mined so that in the event of invasion from the East, cypher equipment could be destroyed at the push of a button. We were warned that our movements were routinely monitored by SOXMIS even though SOXMIS agents were supposed to display identification at all times... With regard to Berlin, we were under very strict instructions to never travel on the S-Bahn in case we were lured into East Berlin, and then used as a Cold-War bargaining chip.

This recalls to me -- a bit "tangentially" -- a chap with whom I worked 25 -- 30 years ago. He had, previously, been in the British Army, and had spent time in the Berlin garrison: if I have things rightly, he was talking about the early / mid-1980s. He had a mild interest in railways; knowing my enthusiasm for them, he mentioned that at that time, it was possible for British armed forces personnel to take an -- officially arranged and approved, and strictly supervised -- "quasi-tourist" day trip into East Berlin. He told of his taking the opportunity to do this, and of being interested to observe active DR steam at, I think, Berlin Ostbahnhof.

This bod was a bit inclined to tell not-very-likely-sounding tales of alleged past doings and experiences of his. Pretty well everything I had heard about the way things were in divided Berlin, caused me then to suspect that the above was an instance of this. However; I do get an inkling that over the decades, everyday doings re the "oppositional" sectors of the city became a bit more relaxed, in some ways -- feel that just possibly, this thing about "British Army day-trips" might be true, however improbable-seeming. Would be interested in thoughts from folk knowledgeable about such matters.

newmilton

I think it could probably be said that Belgium is stuck in a time-warp, often in a charming way but also often in a run-down, mucky way too.
I was in Liège in February, to attend a performance at the very fine opera house, but I couldn't help but feel that it suffered by comparison with French cities of a similar size, despite some good museums and interesting historic buildings. Yes, Wallonia has lost a lot of its traditional economic base, but the same is true of northern cities in France like Lille or Amiens. Guillemins station is impressive, or course, but St-Lambert in the city centre ...

Status
Not open for further replies.