Your first train set?

Discussion in 'Modelling, Memorabilia & Publications' started by Cowley, 12 Mar 2017.

1. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

You can sometimes buy tyres from model shops or eBay.
    Another alternative is that the Hornby wheelsets are quite easy to take apart, so you can swap the wheels that have grooves for the tyres with plain ones (make sure you use the correct ones as two solid ones will cause a short circuit). You could then try and add some weight in the power car, particularly over the driving wheels.

2. MotCO

MotCO Member

Yes it is - set R647, made by Jouef on behalf of Hornby, I believe. (I've still got the box!)

3. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Established Member

If Hornby had ever made a full length Eurostar, I reckon it would have needed 4 motors spread evenly along the train to run. I wonder if they'll do a model at some point of the 374s

4. Cowley

I wouldn't be surprised, modern motors are very powerful now though, lots of weight in the chassis and all the wheels driven as well.
    To MotCo - I remember doubling up the motors in old Hornby and Lima models by altering the chassis and putting two motor bogies in. They didn't need traction tyres then, ever so noisy though. ;)

5. Signalmans Eye

Signalmans Eye Member

early 50s I recall having an EVER READY train set and was I think a London Underground two coaches set with circular track, battery operated .1956 progressed to Hornby set A4 Silver ....?
    just googled, blow me this set just came up so my memories good.however can't remember if A4 Silver king or link.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2017
  6. SpacePhoenix

There was one time that we must have had about 12-14 coaches and could have been getting towards 20 wagons behind a Hornby 08 shunter, it made it around a lap around the track before it derailed, all the curves were 1st radius

7. Drogba11CFC

Drogba11CFC Member

8. Masboroughlad

Masboroughlad Established Member

Class 37 and 3 mark 2a coaches on an oval track. Got an 08 and wagons to go with it.

Before that I had boxes full of playtrack. Worth a fortune today. Lol.

9. muddythefish

muddythefish Established Member

Hornby Dublo 3-rail EDL11 Silver King 60016, in either matt or gloss livery. Dublo also made other A4s in Sir Nigel Gresley (LNER) and Mallard (BR) in 3-rail, and Golden Fleece (2-rail).

Ever Ready sets are very collectable now in good condition.

10. GW43125

GW43125 Established Member

Class 390 on the Hornby loop + pack A; 2010 I think. Before that I used my dad's mainline freight and 225.

11. Allegheny1600

Allegheny1600 Member

My parents were wonderfully tight fisted and for about my 5th or 6th birthday (or was it Christmas?) bought me a secondhand Tri-ang "Princess Victoria" set with loco, tender, two shorty coaches, transformer and a HALF oval of track!
    For the next few years I had to be content with shuffling this train back and forth, not until I was 10 or 11 did I manage to complete the oval!
    How my interest grew out of such frustration, I'll never know.
    John.

12. Nonsense

Nonsense Member

Mine was the Blue Grey 125. But it came with a bunch of random wagons, a breakvan, the Lima motor rail car transporter, extra track and a box full of my dad's old triang stuff, Princess Elizabeth, a coal truck that opened at the bottom, and a damaged green southern emu.

Good stuff.

13. Cowley

Very good stuff.

A lot of play value for an impressionable young person there. :)

14. SpacePhoenix

Does the Hornby 390 tilt at all given enough speed around a curve?

15. marks87

marks87 Established Member

It was my first one too.

It was added to a couple of years later when we saw an advert on the notice board in Asda selling "Two Hornby train sets" for £50 each or both for £80 (or something like that - cheap, anyway).

They were Football Special:
    [​IMG]

and The Duchess:

[​IMG]

Neither of which I can find on the Hornby Collector Guide website for some reason.

The last proper train set I got was around 1998 with the Twin Train Freight - http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=1985

Looking back on it, those plank wagons look so ridiculously out of place in a set like that!

16. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

The Hornby Pendolino is indeed fitted with a tilt mechanism to tilt it on the curves, as was the shortlived Dapol model which preceded it in 00 gauge.

17. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

Yes, they're certainly incongruous in a late-sectorisation/shadow FOC era set up like that!

18. GW43125

GW43125 Established Member

It does indeed. But not too fast, as you get some interesting sideways derailments there! Do not make the mistake I made when I got it and open up the power controller to watch it fly across my bedroom floor rather than running round the loop...

19. SpacePhoenix

What radius curves were you using? I know the Hornby APT will also tilt when given enough speed

20. fitz

fitz New Member

My first (and only) train set was a Hornby 3 rail set with Coronation pacific "Duchess of Montrose "for Christmas 1956.As we were living in Germany at the time we had to have some sort of transformer due to the different voltage. I later acquired 2-6-4T 80054 and N2 0-6-2T 69567 which others have mentioned .
    I still have the 3 locos but they last ran c1968. Now display only.