• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your Hobby is dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1609

Established Member
Reposted from the KESR forum for your attention (doesnt fall in to just one category on Rail Uk. The original poster was a NR signaller and preserved railway guard.)

"In the last week, 2 shunters have been killed - one employed by Freightliner at Dagenham, and closer to home (ie a preserved railway) - one guard on the Gwili Railway at Bronwydd Arms.

Whilst not wanting to point out the bleeding obvious:

If in doubt, DON'T
If its not moving, it CAN'T kill!

Please click on the link below for the initial report.

http://www.raib.gov.uk/publications...ster/060717_19_dagenham_and_bronwydd_arms.cfm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muppet

I agree with you AlexS

I rember on my first day down at the GWSR we had to move 37215 near the brake van beacuse we were going to need to put cab parts in the van. but 47105 was parked near the van and then 37324. 47376 was called to shunt up to 324 and connect which it did then the driver off 376 moved forward to conect up to 105, he did but was a bit late on the brake and one of the wheels went up the block luckily he stopped before the whole wheel went over the block and then with just a bit of reversing 105 found it self back on the rail

The Snap

Established Member
I heard about these two incidents on Saturday at the ELR, as a report warning was sent round to all operational departments regarding shunting movements. Shunting can be extremely dangerous, especially when couplings up if the handbrake is not on etc. It can also prove hazardous if using hand signals and the shunter is in the driver's blind spot.

LucaZone

Regardless of the unfortunate events im not sure the title is very clear or appropriate. As this forum has an AWFUL lot of discussion about railway enthusiasts, a title saying 'Your hobby is dangerous' gave me the impression these events were potentially caused by an enthusiast, rather than 'The Railway is Dangerous'.

Maybe its just me though :)

AlexS

Established Member
Railways are though - and if it makes you think a little bit more about what is actually at stake when the 37 is running round a Rhymney or whatever, so much the better!

Rich said:
I heard about these two incidents on Saturday at the ELR, as a report warning was sent round to all operational departments regarding shunting movements. Shunting can be extremely dangerous, especially when couplings up if the handbrake is not on etc. It can also prove hazardous if using hand signals and the shunter is in the driver's blind spot.
If the driver loses sight of the shunter at any time during the movement he should stop...

bunnahabhain

Established Member
A railway is only as dangerous as the people on them, provided everybody follows the precautions put in place for their safety and the safety of others around them then it's a pretty safe place. However it's very easy to forget to tell the driver that you're going under, or forget to put a stop board on the train if you get distracted by somebody talking to you, and the train moves with you underneath doing something. It's easily done, sadly.

Established Member
I know some people in here think i am a little bit of a Dinosaur in this forum group and think i have no interest in the railways other than to cause mayhem. Today you will see a different me.

I have a very close friend who not only is he a Driver for EWS, he is also a member of the GWILI. This incident which took place last Wednsday has really shaken the volunteers on the line. I even spent the weekend helping out and did some work cleaning out the very rare 'Cambridge Griddle Coach'. As well as remember our Guards use to do their job.

I spent some time with one of the Guards and unlike in the big railway world he didnt know what had happened. It has been a big shock to the group and has affected them in a very personal manner.

Until the full investigation has been dealt with i dont think it would right for me or anybody to comment on the matter. Suffice to to we must pass on our condolences to the families concerened.

Keithy

Techniquest

Veteran Member
"See 47703 again"

Quoting your sig in part Joe H, you might be interested to know 47703 was on the Steam Dreams tour at Victoria on Wednesday.

Tomnick

Established Member
313103 said:
I know some people in here think i am a little bit of a Dinosaur in this forum group and think i have no interest in the railways other than to cause mayhem. Today you will see a different me.

I have a very close friend who not only is he a Driver for EWS, he is also a member of the GWILI. This incident which took place last Wednsday has really shaken the volunteers on the line. I even spent the weekend helping out and did some work cleaning out the very rare 'Cambridge Griddle Coach'. As well as remember our Guards use to do their job.

I spent some time with one of the Guards and unlike in the big railway world he didnt know what had happened. It has been a big shock to the group and has affected them in a very personal manner.

Until the full investigation has been dealt with i dont think it would right for me or anybody to comment on the matter. Suffice to to we must pass on our condolences to the families concerened.

Keithy
Can't disagree with you at all there Keithy. I've not really given this thread the attention it deserves, and of course it is something that should be very close to home - particularly to us who spend our weekends 'playing trains', but really to anyone who takes an interest in railway operations.

My condolences too, must go to the families, friends and colleagues of the two victims of the accidents that are the subject of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.