• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your local Railway station/facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

Folks,
l was wondering about various Railway stations around the country and what kind of facilities they offer.My station is Bellshill in Lanarkshire.It is 2 platforms serving Glasgow and Edinburgh.The station has HeeHaw facilities except the small ticket office.Toilet facilites consist of begging the person behind the counter for the key to the Toilet., if you are bursting, Magic:oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VTPreston_Tez

Preston. It's got many destinations, bike racks, lots of buses, a massive car park, 8 platforms with at least 2 backup, and basically everything that makes a good station bar a first class lounge..

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
We've had threads on this in the past, I believe there's been a 100+ reply one around winter last year, a quick search may help (I'm on BB so can't unfortunately).

WL113

Rugeley Trent Valley: A main line station that is unstaffed. No disabled access to down platform, no lift or crossing, just a very high footbridge, no use to a wheelchair passenger. Very limited parking and lethal road exit.

Rugeley Town, a newer station, opened 1997, still minimal facilities with no staff. Train information screens that never work, large car park.

SS4

Established Member
Rugeley Trent Valley: A main line station that is unstaffed. No disabled access to down platform, no lift or crossing, just a very high footbridge, no use to a wheelchair passenger. Very limited parking and lethal road exit.

Rugeley Town, a newer station, opened 1997, still minimal facilities with no staff. Train information screens that never work, large car park.

Plus the Chase Line's **** poor reliability means that it also has a "diverse" service :lol:

Chester Road: Staffed, has disabled access via a ramp to the Birmingham platform and ticket hall. The Lichfield platform is on a ramp without stairs, 6tph in each direction. Free parking provided by Centro.

Searle

Established Member
Hertford North has two through platforms, one to Stevenage, one to Kings Cross/Moorgate. In addition, there's a bay platform facing KGX/MOG as well. Ticket office, TVM's, some toilets and a nice little newsagents :D oh and there are ticket barriers too :P

Uzair

Earlsfield. 2 platforms for suburban SWT services on one side, and fast services passing through on the other side, but 3 platforms altogether, as one of them can be used by country bound fast trains. A couple of TVMs. A waiting room. A temporary ticket office while the station undergoes an extremely irritating refurbishment which has been delayed and is taking ages. If you want to top up your Oyster, you have to go up the stairs, use the machine/ticket office, go back down to touch in, then back up the stairs. You may even have to go up and down the temporary footbridge to go to the country platform.

bnm

Established Member
Shirehampton. Single line platform with level access. A usually working Customer Information Screen and a small shelter which, judging by the smell, often doubles up as a toilet. :roll:

Shimbleshanks

But why should there be 'facilities' at wayside suburban and rural stations that few people use and most of those that do are only there for a few minutes? You don't expect to find ticket offices, toilets etc at your local bus stop, do you? Why should the railways, alone of any form of public transport, have to provide elaborate stations that don't in themselves directly create any extra revenue? I have used Bellshill on a couple of occasions over the past few years - would the lack of facilities there make me forsake the train and use some other mode of transport? I don't think so.

At the end of the day, if it was a choice between a waiting room at my local station and a better train service, I know which 'd choose. My local station at Purley does have a full complement of ticket offices, waiting rooms, coffee stalls etc etc, none of which I've used in the past year - my aim is to get into the place and out again on the next train as quickly as possible. If I want a coffee, I'll go to Costa. And I wouldn't expect Costa to provide me with a train service...

But why should there be 'facilities' at wayside suburban and rural stations that few people use and most of those that do are only there for a few minutes? You don't expect to find ticket offices, toilets etc at your local bus stop, do you? Why should the railways, alone of any form of public transport, have to provide elaborate stations that don't in themselves directly create any extra revenue? I have used Bellshill on a couple of occasions over the past few years - would the lack of facilities there make me forsake the train and use some other mode of transport? I don't think so.

At the end of the day, if it was a choice between a waiting room at my local station and a better train service, I know which 'd choose. My local station at Purley does have a full complement of ticket offices, waiting rooms, coffee stalls etc etc, none of which I've used in the past year - my aim is to get into the place and out again on the next train as quickly as possible. If I want a coffee, I'll go to Costa. And I wouldn't expect Costa to provide me with a train service...

I wouldn't expect Costa to provide me with a decent cup of coffee either:D

causton

Established Member
But why should there be 'facilities' at wayside suburban and rural stations that few people use and most of those that do are only there for a few minutes?

Because it makes sense?

I need a coffee, I also need to catch a train, I can get both at the railway station, so I'll turn up a little early for my train and get a coffee!

...sometimes the facilities don't exist elsewhere, for example in Hatfield there's no Costa/Caffe Nero apart from in the shopping centre, a 30 minute walk away from the railway station. Are you suggesting I do that when I want a coffee to drink on the train, and therefore only catch a train when the local shopping centre is open?

Some people need stuff to do while waiting for a train no matter what station they are at, and if it makes money for the people running the stand why not :)

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
The station has HeeHaw facilities except the small ticket office.
And presumably you have to wait donkey's years for a train :D

The station below (Wrexham) had neigh facilities either:

(Thanks to walesonline for the photo).

Attachments

• a-horse-tries-to-board-a-train-at-wrexham-773977073.jpg
    a-horse-tries-to-board-a-train-at-wrexham-773977073.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 33

Sparks169

It depends on the station's usage (annual footfall), the type (commuter etc) and dwell times etc.

If a station has a low footfall and maybe only mildly busy at peak times, having extra facilities like coffee stalls would not be viable. They would pay more in rent and set-up costs than they would make overall, so it's not worth it for them.

I've tried enquiring about a coffee kiosk at my local station (Kenley) however it is only busy at peak times and the footfall is around 500,000 per year, so I doubt it would be worth it for whoever runs it.

The same goes for other facilities that would cost more to build/install than they would be used/benefit the passengers.

SS4

Established Member
The same goes for other facilities that would cost more to build/install than they would be used/benefit the passengers.

Unless subsidies are abound. The refurb of Cosford springs to mind since it only gets 1tph

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Chapeltown/burley park.
Both two platform stations with a card only TVM on the busiest side. (leeds bound for burley park and sheffield bound for chapeltown) bus shelters no ticket office no toilets. Both next to a supermarket though, and both have half hourly off peak services.

Mine has been Bath Spa for the past 15 odd years and was the bane of my life till recently.

It has had a really good revamp lately and for anyone who remembers the main London bound platform (Platform 2) with its mound car park - well not only has the car park gone but so has the windy round mound too. It has been excavated and will become a piazza area with cafes and trees to sit around. The old crowded booking hall with passengers trying to get in and out of the same cramped area has been attacked with a new open plan ticketing area with a new exit form the platforms into the area the new piazza mentioned above will be. The addition of lifts capable of taking wheelchairs has been a fantastic addition. As of this point in time the road frontage is in a state of replacement so taxis and other vehicle pick up popints are reloacted.
Given the location of a new shopping precint dead opposite the station (where the old bus station used to be) the refurbishment of the station is in fitting with the new build. As an aside the bus station is located less than 2 minutes west of the station front in a new glass fronted building.
As for the lost parking, that is now located under the new shopping area dead opposite the station on the 3rd level underground.
No ground level facilities as yet (piazza will cover food etc) but there is a Pumpkin on each platform and a Sushi Bar on Platform 2.
Long response from me BUT I have to say I am really excited to see that Bath Spa is finally getting a decent amount spent on it. Finally something to rival the old Bath Green Park station which is always worth a visit form train enthusiasts (ignoring the Sainsbury supermarket there)!
The old place is beginning to be a pleasure to wlak up to it and will be more so when it is finished. For anyone not having visited or not been for a while the city is getting better apart the seaguls!

C

LE Greys

Established Member
I'm neatly in the centre of an arc of stations, Baldock, Letchworth, Hitchin and Stevenage.

Firstly, Baldock
  • Vanilla two-platform station on a double-track line
  • A ticket office with reasonable opening hours, single TVM and single PTT machines (can be awkward queuing)
  • Tiny, expensive car park, which nearly expanded recently, but the land was collared for housing. Cars park on streets.
  • Buses may stop near by, but no facilities. Small taxi rank.
  • Bare minimum of facilities apart from that. Tiny stone shelters dating from GNR days and some benches (but I tend to sit on the wall).
  • No level access, platforms are elevated
  • Weekday 2tph to Cambridge and London (mixture of semi-fast and stoppers), with 2tph passing through non-stop

Letchworth Garden City
  • Two platforms, with room to expand to four (two islands) built in
  • Bigger ticket office and more TVMs
  • Refreshment stand in lobby (concourse is a bit grand)
  • Small waiting rooms, but large canopies, so only used when really cold
  • Toilets available
  • Not sure about parking
  • Buses stop near by, small taxi rank
  • No level access AFAIK, platforms reached by footbridge
  • Weekday 2tph to Cambridge and King's Cross (mixture of semi-fast and stoppers), with 2tph passing through non-stop plus 1tph terminating via Hertford from Moorgate, some extras in peak hours
  • Stabling point just east of station

Hitchin
  • Junction for Cambridge from the ECML
  • Despite this, platforms on the slow lines only
  • Similar number of TVMs to Letchworth, plus decent ticket office
  • Newsagent with refreshment stand on down platform
  • Small waiting rooms, but large canopies, so only used when really cold
  • Toilets available
  • Decent parking, but expensive and often full
  • Some bus and taxi facilities outside
  • Level access to down platform only (up reached by subway)
  • Weekday 4tph to King's Cross, 2tph to Cambridge and Peterborough each (mixture of semi-fast and stoppers), with ?10-12tph passing through non-stop plus 1tph Letchworth-Moorgate from Moorgate via Hertford, some extras in peak hours
  • Small infrastructure yard north of station

Stevenage
  • Effective junction for the Hertford Loop (north end)
  • Two island platforms, possibly just enough room to squeeze in a bay on the down side
  • Ticket office on a 'raft' over the platforms connected to a public footbridge, often crowded during the peak but no room to expand
  • Refreshment facilities and newsagents in footbridge, also refreshment stands on both platforms (but more expensive than the upstairs ones)
  • Some waiting rooms, semi 'bus shelter' types
  • Toilets available
  • Massive car parks, but expensive and usually full, potentially room to add an upper deck
  • Easy access to bus station via footbridge, some buses stop in main road outside (when idiots haven't parked in the bus stops). Large taxi rank in waiting area outside.
  • Level access to platforms only possible via goods lifts
  • Weekday 1 or 2tph EC semi-fasts to Leeds, York or Retford (varies through day), 4tph to King's Cross (mixture of fast and semi-fast) 2tph to Cambridge and Peterborough each (mixture of semi-fast and stoppers), with ?8-10tph passing through non-stop plus 1tph Letchworth-Moorgate from Moorgate via Hertford and 1tph terminating from Moorgate via Hertford, some extras in peak hours and some late-night expresses to/from Scotland and Newcastle (including one direct from Aberdeen :D )

All in all, not bad really.

steamybrian

Established Member
Tonbridge

4 platforms- basically two island platforms,
Buffet on both island platforms
lifts to both island platforms
Toilets available
Ticket office open from around the first train in the morning (0500 or earlier) until around 2200 in the evening . every day --including Sundays
Car park very large but on Mondays-Fridays full with commuters
Bus stop right outside the station
Taxi stop adjacent to station
OK- I am spoilt by having a main junction station as my local station

It gets big minus points for quality of staff and I am sorry if any readers work there!
Automatic ticket barriers are often left open due to staff shortage
Staff seem to lack railway knowledge or customer care.Several times passengers have asked for directions/routes to get to other stations only for staff to study maps to locate the stations concerned particularly when they are only a few miles away.
The community noticeboard advertising local public events was removed by the Station Manager.
Finally a test telephone call to the South Eastern Trains office (located in an office opposite Tonbridge station) asking for connections/directions from Tonbridge to Spa Valley Railway revealed that they had never heard of the Spa Valley Railway (5 miles away)

Helsby. 4 platforms, footbridge and some information boards. No toilets, waiting room and ticket office closed, one small covered area on P1, one partially enclosed waiting area on P2/P3, no covered area on P4. Very pretty though with gardens tended by local people, lovely flower pots etc. Not the place to be with a thirst or a weak bladder.

GlosRail

Ashchurch for Tewkesbury.

There are now screens on the platform telling you the next train, where it's going, and if it's late. These are fairly new and are useful.

Apart from that there are a few street lights and a small shelter. No ticket machine, and it's unstaffed, but you can buy your tickets on board. There is also a free car park.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
At home:
Ton Pentre. One platform. An information board that has just been installed (but isn't at all helpful when there are delays). A half hearted shelter that doesn't really keep the rain off the 6 plastic seats that are there. There used to be a bin, but not sure if it is still there or not. No ticket machine or ticket office / booth.

When I was at university (and probably where I will be when I start my job next month):
Oldfield Park. Two platforms. No information boards, but there is an information machine thing that you can press a button on and it plays a message saying the next trains due. No ticket machine or office, but there is a small booth that is occupied by a member of staff selling tickets in the morning peak. Slightly better shelters that in the past few months have had a few nice pictures of old steam trains put on the glass.

And sometimes Bath Spa (although its further away from where I lived than Oldfield Park, its only a 25 minute walk at most and is often more convent as Oldfield Park has a limited service). Don't need to explain that as cointreau_rove has already done so :)

Mine has been Bath Spa for the past 15 odd years and was the bane of my life till recently.

It has had a really good revamp lately and for anyone who remembers the main London bound platform (Platform 2) with its mound car park - well not only has the car park gone but so has the windy round mound too. It has been excavated and will become a piazza area with cafes and trees to sit around. The old crowded booking hall with passengers trying to get in and out of the same cramped area has been attacked with a new open plan ticketing area with a new exit form the platforms into the area the new piazza mentioned above will be. The addition of lifts capable of taking wheelchairs has been a fantastic addition. As of this point in time the road frontage is in a state of replacement so taxis and other vehicle pick up popints are reloacted.
Given the location of a new shopping precint dead opposite the station (where the old bus station used to be) the refurbishment of the station is in fitting with the new build. As an aside the bus station is located less than 2 minutes west of the station front in a new glass fronted building.
As for the lost parking, that is now located under the new shopping area dead opposite the station on the 3rd level underground.
No ground level facilities as yet (piazza will cover food etc) but there is a Pumpkin on each platform and a Sushi Bar on Platform 2.
Long response from me BUT I have to say I am really excited to see that Bath Spa is finally getting a decent amount spent on it. Finally something to rival the old Bath Green Park station which is always worth a visit form train enthusiasts (ignoring the Sainsbury supermarket there)!
The old place is beginning to be a pleasure to wlak up to it and will be more so when it is finished. For anyone not having visited or not been for a while the city is getting better apart the seaguls!

C

Nice to see a positive view of the revamp. Everything I have read has mainly been people complaining about it, but I really like it. And once the new bit is open the area will look really nice (ok Bath doesn't really need more restaurant places, but the general area will look a lot nicer than the ramp and car park).

gnolife

Established Member
I'm roughly the same distance from Manchester Airport and Heald Green.

Manchester Airport. 3 platform terminal station, Cafe type thing on the island platform, a glass waiting room on the other. Trains to just about anywhere you would want to go in the north (and to quite a few places that you wouldn't want to go to as well). Interchange for a lot of local buses and NX coaches, plus the fairly obvious one of flights to domestic and international destinations (including Transatlantic flights). The information given to travellers using this station is usually of pretty high quality, with clear, easy to read departure boards and plenty of staff on hand if you need help. There is cash machines and some shops within The Station's building.

Heald Green
2 Platform station. Staffed until around 8pm, mainly used as a commuter station for Manchester, although there is an hourly service to Blackpool Nth and infrequent service to Liverpool, Southport, Sheffield and York. Currently no disabled access to the southbound platform (for services to Manchester Airport, Wilmslow and Crewe) due to rebuilding the ramp - this is now 3 months overdue for completion. The departure board on the northbound platform seems to ignore splitting services (of which there is about 4/5 at irregular intervals), just announcing the service as being for the destination of the front train.

LadyDeltic

Burntisland on the Fife Circle Line - two platforms, footbridge, disability access to Platform 1 (alright if you want to go to Edinburgh, but not so great if you have any fancy ideas about coming home again), timetables on boards and screens, and some benches on each platform. It has a ticket office/waiting room on Platform 1, which is only open at certain times of day. There's also a ticket machine on the same platform, but it only allows you to pay by card. On Platform 2, there's a small shelter that feels like a greenhouse whenever the temperature rises above about 16°C. There are toilets, but I don't have enough experience to comment. Overall rating: 5/10.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
My nearest station is Lincoln, a 15 minute bus ride from home.

The facilities are good, and have been improved in the last couple of years. The concourse is quite small, and the ticket office only has two windows - as EMT saw fit to close the Travel Centre (which previous handled advance purchases, railcards, information etc) the queues here can get quite long. There are two TVMs and a TOD only machine - these are of varying reliability but usually don't have much in the way of queues. There is also a Cafe Express, this can be accessed from the concourse, but also has a more substantial area on the platform side, which is connected to a waiting room. New bike racks have also recently been installed on platform 3.

The station has five platforms, three of which are largely under canopy and there are waiting rooms on platform 3 and between 4 and 5. Toilets are located over the footbridge on platform 4, and there is lift access over the bridge. There are also vending machines on platform 4. The CIS system has been recently upgraded, and there are now clear information displays on each platform as well as automated announcements.

Overall, it's a nice station - with great architecture. The recent refurbishment of waiting rooms and toilets has made waiting for a train much more pleasant, though I wish the travel centre had been retained.

IanD

Established Member
Burntisland on the Fife Circle Line - two platforms, footbridge, disability access to Platform 1 (alright if you want to go to Edinburgh, but not so great if you have any fancy ideas about coming home again

Couldn't you just go all round the circle to go home? Wouldn't cost any more :)

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
But why should there be 'facilities' at wayside suburban and rural stations that few people use and most of those that do are only there for a few minutes? You don't expect to find ticket offices, toilets etc at your local bus stop, do you? Why should the railways, alone of any form of public transport, have to provide elaborate stations that don't in themselves directly create any extra revenue?

I take it you've never been to an airport then? ;) Or to a bus station in a busy town centre? And, away from public transport, how many petrol stations are that don't have an accompanying shop?

More seriously, I doubt anyone is suggesting that rural stations that see little use should have really elaborate facilities, but I think there is a case for many stations to have better than they currently have. And, although I can't quote any figures, I certainly recall reading that there is a fair bit of evidence that improving station facilities and the station environment does often increase passenger numbers. Maybe other people here will have more specific information.

Status
Not open for further replies.