• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your Lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterH

i look at ppls photos here and thing your all very lucky i live near bristol never see a loco her its all DMU's ect just my luck i ned to find places to go

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterH said:
i look at ppls photos here and thing your all very lucky i live near bristol never see a loco her its all DMU's ect just my luck i ned to find places to go

I mostly have DMUs in Small Heath, Brum. Gloucester aint that far from you and there are a few freights that go through there.

Ascot

Established Member
Wooo Small Heath only down the road. Bristol, don't you get HSTs?

Edit: Fishguard 50s from Cardiff? Newport 66s and that? there down the road from you can see?

PeterH

hmmm maybe im missing something i love the devon line to dawlish Torquay ect but no Locs all Voyagers and DMUs im thinking of geting a 7 day card £375 so i can go all over UK so that may help

T

Tom

I live in Bournemouth and this is pretty much a locoless area - 30 mins down the line to Southampton to get some locos, even then it's quite hard to get to the Maritime depots etc!

Julian G

Established Member
I live in West Brompton and it is on the WLL which is one the main freight lines that connects with the NLL and WCML
This are all the trains I saw Since West Brompton opened on 1st June 1999
20- on Nukes, Some Freight
37- on Nukes,Stoneblower, Steel, Charter, EPS Drags, Light Engine
47- Stoneblower, Virgin XC,Freightliner, 442 "Refresh" Moves
59- Stone Train
60- Stone Train, Aggregates
66- Steel, Scrap Moves, Freightliner
67- Charter, Light Engine, SET 465 Moves
73- Stock Moves,Light Engine
92- International Freight, Empty Steel, (Involving Desiros and Pioneers)
Units
150- Driving Training Runs, Stratford-CJ, or one weekend Willesden-CJ
313- ECS Rescue Move 6 car 313, Stratford-CJ, normal train
319- Rugby/Watford-Brighton, Overhaul Moves to Wolverton
377- (Tring) Watford-Brighton, ECS Move to Clapham
Slams- They did do service for a while after 319s became unavailable

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Bristol, loco-less?! Hold on a moment...

*Gets down to the floor and rolls around, laughing at the same time*

*Panting, slightly out of breath* Wow, that has made my day! That's got to be one of the most inaccurate statements of the year.

Bristol has plenty of locos running around. Freightliner 66s, both /5s and /6s, EWS 66s, DRS 66/4s (usually on loan to Freightliner), DRS 20s from/to Bridgwater, 47s on railtours (surprisingly often), steam locos on tours fairly often, redundant 37s in Barton Hill, 67s in Barton Hill and nearby in Bristol Parkway on Avonmouth - Wembley runs quite often, 31s on the occasional Serco test train, 57/6s on FGW's Night Riviera sleeper service, 47s occasional on loan to help cover 57 unavailability. I think that's it, not sure now, but that covers pretty much every loco class that appears in the Bristol area at all regularly!

Which is much better than my way, which sees just about only EWS or Freightliner 66s, although I did get 60058 on a southbound steel run on Sunday at Hereford, which I was pleased about! First 60 I've seen up my way for months!

You've still got a nice variety of units too. 143s, 150/2s, 153s, 158s, 180s, 220s and 221s. Better than the variety I get (Pacer on the 1710 SuO Cardiff - Hereford and 20xx back, 158s, 170s, 175s and 180s).

Bristol loco-less, what an understatement. *Walks off shaking head*

PeterH

Ok so i dont know as much as you all do did stand out side Bristol Parkway Staion once for over 2 hours god never again all i seen was DMUS Voyagers and HSTs

Jordy

Established Member
Liam said:
Excse me i live in bleeding Paignton! The best i get to a loco is an HST or a GWR kettle

Try living in Grim, infested with 15Xs and 185s :p

Jordy

devon_metro

Established Member
PeterH said:
Ok so i dont know as much as you all do did stand out side Bristol Parkway Staion once for over 2 hours god never again all i seen was DMUS Voyagers and HSTs

There is quite a bit of freight through Parkway i'll have you know.

Shame you don't like in Hell, er i mean Hull Jordy ;)

ChrisM

Bournemouth only has a few 66's a week where as the Bristol area is full of them.
Wish i lived somewhere with so much varied traction within easy reach.

Julian G

Established Member
Bournemouth only has a few 66's a week where as the Bristol area is full of them.
Wish i lived somewhere with so much varied traction within easy reach.

You could try living near Acton Mainline, loads of trains, some of them 47s

chunx2005

Got a mate who lives in Bristol, seems to enjoy the amount of loco's down there, Gets alot of Steam as well:blob6:

Dennis

Established Member

Although nothing beats the sight and sound of a loco working hard, with the number of people engaged in railway photography it is quite difficult to get original shots which are of real interest unless an effort is made to find different locations and angles. Good gen is never goes amiss if you are after shots of locos or else go to somewhere like Westbury for 59's on stone trains or Newport for 66's on steel and coal trains - these workings being regular and shouldn't reguire much of a wait.

How about covering the Portishead branch or the Severn Beach line (I'd love to see some shots or a vid of the coal loaders which are near St Andrews Road - never seen any before). Even Pacers on the Severn Beach line are of interest with the river estuary as a backdrop. Also, don't overlook the current influx of ex TPE 158's - I don't expect to see this livery lasting too long in the Wessex region.

Other places still on my own 'to visit' list in the Bristol area include Patchway tunnel (there is a bridge with a view of the entrance I seem to recall) and Sudbrook (?) for a shot of the Severn Tunnel rescue train. Also, their are a few binliner trains in the area which run to well established timings.

devon_metro

Established Member
Two more TPE units coming down today aswell! Not sure on 761, hasn't done much except sit in Exeter TMD

ChrisM

I have been in the Bristol/Cardiff/Westbury areas over the last two days with one to go on a freedom of severn and solent rover and have seen a varity of locos including 50,66,59,47,60 all whithin a an hour or less of Bristol.

Beaker

Established Member
On saturday in bristol i saw 1xdrs 66, 6024 king ted , tangmere , 67006, 1x gner hst , 1x midland mainline hst , 2x transpennie 158

Nick

The joys of living near the mighty Toton :D (plus I also get the to local pres lines for locos)

AlexS

Established Member
Go back 6 years and most trains through Wolverhampton were locomotive hauled - either 37, 47, 86, 87 or 90, with the class 309s still adding some variety.

Look now, and there isn't a single booked locomotive hauled service still in existance (Nuneaton drags don't count), bar the odd freight train.

RJ

Established Member
Spare a thought for me - I get no locos at all on my local! Except the SERCO which runs every 3 months or so.

Have a look at this thread if you want to find out about loco workings.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9008

devon_metro

Established Member
Although you see plenty being only a few mins within loco territory i imagine looking at your fotpic ;)

RJ

Established Member
Although you see plenty being only a few mins within loco territory i imagine looking at your fotpic

My nearest for locos is about 15 minutes on the bus!

Acton Mainline can be good if you know when to go, almost guaranteed hellfire from anything coming down from Acton Wells - unless it goes through the Yard. Even the 37s on the SERCO get up to full throttle going through the station :)

Dennis

Established Member
On saturday in bristol i saw 1xdrs 66, 6024 king ted , tangmere , 67006, 1x gner hst , 1x midland mainline hst , 2x transpennie 158

I'll add to that; between BTM and Filton whilst travelling to/from Cardiff, 3x47's, 1xfred and 3x more 67's plus the usual 143s, 15x's, HST's and some 22x's.

class 313

Established Member
Try living on the abbeyflyer :P then you will moan about the lack of freight hehe, but i shouldnt moan coz the MML is a stoan throw away from my house :D

Status
Not open for further replies.