• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your Lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterH

Ok as you can see im not up on trainspotting yet as you can see whan i asked this so is there a list any thing to find out where and when fraight trains are running
Many thanks to all

Wooo Small Heath only down the road. Bristol, don't you get HSTs?

Edit: Fishguard 50s from Cardiff? Newport 66s and that? there down the road from you can see?

We do get the odd Freightline train in Small Heath but not much from south Wales/South West. No HSTs as Virgin use inferior Voyagers.

Nat the Ned

Ok as you can see im not up on trainspotting yet as you can see whan i asked this so is there a list any thing to find out where and when fraight trains are running
Many thanks to all

Try South West Rail Gen http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/SWRG/

There plenty through Bristol, through Temple Meads itself theres the coal/car trains to/from Portbury. A class 60 worked to Portbury this week. Nuclear Traffic to Bridgwater 20314+37218 worked it today. China clay/scrap to/from Cornwall (mainly in darkness).

Traffic from Wales can be heavy (Pilning/Patchway popular spots to view this). Theres a morning Wentloog to Southampton liner train which is normally a Freightliner class 57. Also on this route you get engineers workings Westbury/Newport. Theres a steel trip from Newport to Bristol East Depot. Coal workings from Aberthaw to Avonmouth. Also coal from Margam to Westbury cement works and stone from Machen to Westbury which can produce a 59. The Westbury to Tytherington stone has run a bit lately aswell.

Then theres Avonmouth, coal merry go round workings to Didcot Power Station. Also a 6M33 Avonmouth to Wembley that leaves apx 16:30 every weekday which is booked for a pair of class 67s.

Theres plenty in the area is a case of patience and prehaps some inside info/gen, SWRG is useful for this......

HTH
N

Nat the Ned

Other places still on my own 'to visit' list in the Bristol area include Patchway tunnel (there is a bridge with a view of the entrance I seem to recall) and Sudbrook (?) for a shot of the Severn Tunnel rescue train. Also, their are a few binliner trains in the area which run to well established timings.

The Patchway Tunnel shots are top class!! Hasnt the Sudbrook rescue train gone?? Was it not replaced with the yellow first gen DMU and the 08 at Severn Tunnel Jn??

Forgot to mention above the Avon Binliner train with runs to Barrow Road behind the up platform at Stapleton Road, produces a Freightliner 66, although hired in DRS 66s have been regular lately. Freightliner locos can usually be found stabled at Kingsland Road opposite Barton Hill EWS Depot.

N

Jim

Established Member
The Patchway Tunnel shots are top class!! Hasnt the Sudbrook rescue train gone?? Was it not replaced with the yellow first gen DMU and the 08 at Severn Tunnel Jn??

N

The 08 & kit is still there! I have to agree that "Patchway Tunnel shots" turn out briilliant, after seeing a few myself

Dennis

Established Member
Managed to get a couple of shots of the tunnel rescue train and the DMU conversions on a recent visit to St Rogiert (not Sudbrook - I was confusing my locations!);

http://dennis-lance.fotopic.net/p33795356.html
http://dennis-lance.fotopic.net/p33795355.html

Unfortunately, the shunter was well hidden so no clear shot although searching through various fotopics sites, it does seem to move reasonably regularly (presumably on training runs). Now that would be some shots worth getting...

Established Member
I live in Bournemouth and this is pretty much a locoless area - 30 mins down the line to Southampton to get some locos, even then it's quite hard to get to the Maritime depots etc!

its not a loconess area only wen a 47 comes down on a pig but they've been 66 recently, and we get a sand train thats ying hauled and were getting flow of china clay aswell!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.