• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
Plenty of variety regarding traction photographed from different locations making the collections worth looking at. The results are usually of quite good quality (not blurred, too dark etc). Only thing I would suggest is a few more shots away from the platform and including a bit more of the surroundings.

A good example is this sort of shot...http://railways.mjspencer.com/site/displayimage.php?album=55&pos=35

Much more interesting than a front 3/4 view I think and well worth the effort. Keep up the good work.

Sam

The vast majority are nice shots. You have the angle right and an eye for a good location.

Where 58's still operate in commercial service...
Right.... here we go:

NOT GOOD:
normal_2006_0225401450012.JPG

REASON: I cant see the wheels... wich are a part of the train aswell.... And This photo shows tail lights... not good aswell.....

GOOD:
normal_2006_0225401450013.JPG

Complete train on the photo... not to much zoom, front lights, bogies... just a good shot. But next time, try to have a bit more sky, and less track.

Sam

Holland on Rail said:
Right.... here we go:

NOT GOOD:

REASON: I cant see the wheels... wich are a part of the train aswell.... And This photo shows tail lights... not good aswell.....

I would say "Not Great" It is not as if the shot is poor quality. Again he has the right angle. Tail lights are not always bad in a shot. I like this one as it has somthing else going on with the two passengers walking away from the train.

ChrisM

Holland on Rail said:
Right.... here we go:

NOT GOOD:

GOOD:

Complete train on the photo... not to much zoom, front lights, bogies... just a good shot. But next time, try to have a bit more sky, and less track.

I don't see anything wrong with those shots.
Good size,colouring,contrast and sharpness.
I think you are take the **** slightly.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Those are fine shots there. Nothing wrong with either of them! Great angles, good light, everything they need to have.

Jim

Established Member
ChrisM said:

Aye. TBH, there is nothing wrong with tail lights in shots. The wheels, aren't needed. If I went by your good/bads all the time, I would have about 2 shots on my website. Sorry, but I think it is a bit OTT

richa2002

Established Member
I think it's good to see someone being honest. I'm sure Matt won't mind at all.

Met Driver

Established Member
Jim said:
Aye. TBH, there is nothing wrong with tail lights in shots.

Tail lights are OK in moderation, but some people take things a little too far. ;)

Personally I think HoR has given some good advice there. That does not mean to say either photo is poor; they're far from it, but the second one certainly has the most traits of an all-round good pic.

devon_metro

Established Member
You have some great photos there, plenty of variety!

Regarding tail lights, one of my best shots has tail lights in it!

Dennis

Established Member
Holland on Rail said:
Right.... here we go:

NOT GOOD:

GOOD:

I find sky can be a real problem when taking photos (without using filters or Photoshop) and these two pictures are good examples of why, the top image has a completely featureless sky, very boring, while in the lower image the clouds look completely over exposed.

Sky like this...http://nevardmedia.fotopic.net/p19618900.html is spot on.

Coxster

Established Member
Norhing wrong with photographing the rear of trains IMHO but I agree that photos look better with the whole train, rather than the train being in a platform with a not-so-good angle.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A bit far...

As for me, my avatar should feature tail lights, what with having photted 004 on the rear of that service! My old avatar of 43175 should have tail lights too, having just reached Carmarthen and begun its reversal procedure onto Pembroke Dock. So at least two of my best ever shots have tail lights in them, so they're by no means bad!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for your feedback. If any else has anything to add then feel free

Cheers

andrewmay

You definitley have a good range of locations and traction but I would agree that lineside locations do improve phots. I feel it makes them more complete. Although this is not possible all the time it is worth exploring for lineside locations especialy around the areas you visit most.

I have noticed a few photos that are not quite centred correctly such as this one: http://railways.mjspencer.com/site/albums/uploads/022540145/normal_2006_0225401450015.JPG
For this photo I would reccomend taking the photo slightly later so the engine is more to the right of the photo and also lifting the camera up more so that the train is more central in the photograph. Another thing to try would be to use some zoom to get more of the train in the photo. This was my attempt at that same train from the same location with 2x zoom: http://midlandrailpics.fotopic.net/p26348520.html

Overall a bit more lineside photography along with some practice on positioning the photo more centrally will result in some very diverse and interesting photographs.Well done for what you have taken so far.

Jim

Established Member
Practise makes perfect Matt :p I think, with more linesiding, your photos will become better and better. After all, when I went linesiding on the Valleys on the last day, got some super shots, & will never forgive myself that I didn't do it before

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I wish I'd been able to do it myself before too. Not worth trying that really any more, lineside shots of units on that line isn't so interesting.

But yes, lineside shots are usually more interesting than a shot of a unit in a station. When you can get these shots, it's well worth the effort. Or low angles such as getting on one knee to lower the angle of the shot to make the unit/loco/whatever look more appealing helps sometimes too. Of course, angles looking down on units/locos/whatever can also benefit the shot too, although this angle isn't recommended for a lot of shots IMO.

This thread has inspired me to look at my own photos and where I can improve my own shots, which can't be a bad thing!

ChrisM said:

totally agree,

you have some nice shots! there is defo nothing wrong with tailights in photos sometimes they look better in some cases.

cheers

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.