• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your PC/Laptop/Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionRail

I'm bored so I thought id start this: A chance to tell everyone how good (or crap) your computer is! :D

Here's mine:

Main Specs

Toshiba X200-25H-PSPBUE

Windows Vista HP SP1 x86/Windows 7 Ultimate x64
2x160GB SATA HDDs
Intel T8300 2x2.4GhZ 64-bit processors
nVidea 8600GT 512mb GRAM w/ 2028mb available system memory
4GB RAM
Built in Harman/Kardon 5 speaker system (including sub on the underside)
HD-DVD Multi Recorder
17.5" Super-Brite HD screen
Onboard HD Audio w/ Optical
HDMI I/O
6xUSB
1xFirewire
Full size UK keyboard w/ numberpad
Light up touchpad
Fingerprint/Biometrics

Upsides:

Fast, powerful, plays almost any games

Downsides:
Battery life (~40 mins)
Flattens a stand alone car battery when using an inverter rather quickly
Weight
Size (cant find a bag anywhere)

Windows Performance Index:

Vista: 5
Windows 7: NA

Original cost: £1600
Bought for: £700

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nath9425

Cas I'm Lazy .. :lol:

PC.jpg

Cost £500.

5.1 Surround Sound
10 USB Ports
Etc Etc.

mbonwick

Established Member
ASUS P5KC
2x Samsung Spinpoint 500GB HDDs
2x Sony SuperMulti DVD+/- DVD R/R DL/RW/RAM
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz, OC'd to 3.2GHz
4GB RAM DDR2 800Mhz
17" Dell Monitor
Vista Ultimate 32Bit, Performance index 5.9
nVIDIA 8800GT 1GB, OC'd

Last edited:
Packard Bell iXtreme MC2969

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2 x 2.4Ghz, Skt 775, 1066Mhz FSB, 2 x 4mb Cache)
2gb DDR2 RAM
400gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 plus a 250gb 7200.9
ATi Radeon X1600SE
DVD-RW Drive
Onboard 5.1 Sound
12 USB Ports
19" Philips Widescreen Monitor

Not the highest of spec, and it is approaching 2 years old, but it runs BVE4 at 40fps! :D
Something most Vista machines cannot do. :P

P156KWJ

Established Member
really wanna get rid of it but don't have the money:

Dell Optiplex GX270 series
Windows XP pro SP3
38Gb C drive
1Gb memory
Intel pentium 4
blah blah

Or the laptop I'm currently using:
Ergo Microlite 411FP
Windows XP pro SP2
55.8Gb C drive
1Gb Memory
intel core 2

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Intel T8300 2x2.4GhZ 64-bit processors
This is actually one processor with dual cores.
How come you got it so much cheaper than the original cost? :o

5.1 Surround Sound
What speakers/amp you got? presumably that isn't included in the £500?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2 x 2.4Ghz, Skt 775, 1066Mhz FSB, 2 x 4mb Cache)
I'm pretty sure it's one 4MB cache on that CPU, shared by both cores.

I've just bought a HP MiniNote 2133 (1.6GHz/2GB) for when I'm out and about (usefully it can be used on tip-down trays behind seatbacks on trains, so no need to use a table seat to use it). My main PC is a Core2Duo 2GHz.

Julian G

Established Member
Just for £742 I got this beauty:

SONY VAIO VGN FW21-E
Windows Vista Home Premium
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz/2.27GHz
RAM: 4 GB
System Type: 32-bit OS
ATI Mobility Radoen HB 3470
Internet: o2 USB Mobile Broadband (will be replaced with the o2 Home Broadband once it becomes compatible with the area code)

And I must it a thousand miles better than the battered old Time Computer Windows ME i had

Juniper Driver

Established Member
3204258481_4da6824a49.jpg

This is a Samsung Q40 Laptop.

The story goes that in March 2007 I took a heavy Acer Laptop to New York with me.The Laptop was in my suitcase but obviously in transit someone dropped the case and busted one of the wheels.The laptop survived the drop.I had bought the Acer laptop in Gran Canaria after the laptop I had there had broken down.

I was traipsing around New York with a suitcase with 3 wheels and a heavy laptop and also had to endure this in the snow when I was traveling back.

So when I got back I was determined to buy a lighter laptop,so I broke all my own rules and went to PC World where I found the Samsung Q40 laptop.

This laptop has been to Hong Kong/Japan twice and Thailand and Carlisle once and im using it to post this post.That was before July 2007 when I did the Carlisle then Japan trips.

I plan to take it to either Australia/Mumbai or Thailand this year.

Last edited:

Bayum

Established Member
Speaking of s**te laptops and the like

I contacted trading standards about mine, as it likes to overheat at the most inappropriate of times, and has now started overheating rather stupidly. Fair enough, there may be dust in the fan and the like - but just two days after getting the laptop this started back in September.

Now, Trading standards told me to just ask if they would replace it, and if not, mention that I had been speaking to them, and mention the Sales of Goods Act. If I still don't get what I want - speak to the manager or make an appointment

Does anyone think this is good workable advice?

Juniper Driver

Established Member
I've been lucky with my Q40 but I had trouble last night.Couldn't start up my browser(s) and my power supply kept cutting out.

Moved the power supply tonight and it's been fine.Did a system restore last night and it fixed the browsers.

Bayum

Established Member

I have a few burn marks from when my laptops been on me, it is a Toshiba harman/kardon Equium A300D - 13X

It was bought in June/July of last year

And the temperature mobi meter wont work Yorkie. It can't connect to the ACPI Drive apparently...

Muppet

Q6600 oc to 3.4ghz
4Gb OCZ Ram ( cant remember timing )
8800GT oc
500 Gb HDD
Vista Ultimate 32bit
Xp 32 Bit
22 Inch Monitor
G15
G5
G25

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have a few burn marks from when my laptops been on me, it is a Toshiba harman/kardon Equium A300D - 13X
Read The Fantastic Manual! :D

"Avoid prolonged physical contact with the computer. If the computer is used for long periods, its surface can become very warm. While the temperature will not feel hot to the touch, if you maintain physical contact with the computer for a long time, for example if you rest the computer on your lap or if you keep your hands on the palm rest, your skin might suffer a low-heat injury"

So, no, you have no case to take it back whatsoever.
And the temperature mobi meter wont work Yorkie. It can't connect to the ACPI Drive apparently...
Get it in the BIOS then. I suspect it's not overheating. A quick search produced no other evidence of anyone else reporting that model overheating, I think it can be put down to improper use - sorry!

Death

Established Member
Hail all! <D
Just thought I'd drop a quick claw in whilst thrashing past t'neet. 8)
Nay, I havn't found a 24hr library or anything like that...I've dusted off the broadband modem for an hour as I wanted to post and upload a severe RantBlog against Microsoft before tonights events slipped my mind. :roll::razz:

Anyhow...I've got too many PCs around here nowadays to really keep count (Though most of 'em are all geriatric Pentium I systems! :razz:) but here's the spec of my latest toy from my local bankrupt branch o' Woolworths... <D

HP/Compaq ProLiant ML370 G3 Rack/Tower Server:
  • CPU: 2x 4-core Intel Xeon 3.20GHz CPUs (= 6.40GHz gross processing thrash! 8))
  • Storage: 6x 36.4Gb 10,000rpm Ultra-64 SCSI drives (= 218Gb gross storage, or ~145Gb under RAID-5.)
  • Storage controller: Compaq Smart Array 5400 (Fully RAID-0/1/2/3/5 compliant),
  • RAM: Believe it or not, only 1Gb...But that's more than enough for what I'll be using it for! :)
  • Cooling: 3x Compaq hot-plug fans...Bloody loud ones, too! :shock:
  • Extras: Redundant PSU, Redundant BIOS ROM, 2x HP on-board SCSI controllers, PCI-X expansion bus, Integrated Lights-Out remote console over HTTPS, spare keyboard (Which definitely works...I'm typing this post on it! :D) and more dust inside than the Sahara... :razz:
  • Minor disadvantages: Slightly hefty at a weight of 42.5Kg, and power consumption of 1.6Kw/h(!) with both PSUs connected isn't going to do my electricity bill any favours... :lol:
Now if ye ask me, that beast wasn't a bad deal at all...I only paid £150,- for it! And - Fingers crossed - I'll have the option to buy a few more too, once the receivers get back to me about the other stores in the locality! 8)

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

WillPS

Established Member
I was wondering about how your Woolies bargains were coming along, did you get the EPOS systems in the end?

Death

Established Member
Aye, I did...I've actually got one of them sitting right next to me as I type this out! :D
Mind ye, they're proving a right "billie bunt" to install Windows XP on - The full details are in my latest weblog, which is linked from my previous post. :shock:

I'll try and get around to sorting out the full blurb about the Woolies stuff soon, but not now as I really ought to get to bed! (And this is an exceptional use of my Internet connection tonight anyway - I'm still trying to quit smoking surfing! :razz:)

WillPS

Established Member
Gah just 'buy' a full version off the internet somewhere man!

Either that or get Linux or something running off it!!

What are you going to actually use them for aswell? I was toying with the idea of getting one but couldn't really come up with an actual need for them, other than figuring out ways to screw up the (similar) systems where I work (Sainsbury's EPOS are decidedly harder to crack than The Entertainer's, where they had left the ctrl, alt and delete keys on the concept keyboard, from where you could happily go to the desktop and get online)!

Bayum

Established Member
Read The Fantastic Manual! :D

"Avoid prolonged physical contact with the computer. If the computer is used for long periods, its surface can become very warm. While the temperature will not feel hot to the touch, if you maintain physical contact with the computer for a long time, for example if you rest the computer on your lap or if you keep your hands on the palm rest, your skin might suffer a low-heat injury"

So, no, you have no case to take it back whatsoever.

Get it in the BIOS then. I suspect it's not overheating. A quick search produced no other evidence of anyone else reporting that model overheating, I think it can be put down to improper use - sorry!

So, 10 minutes is prolonged usage?? And when im typing at school, I should expect my laptop to turn itself off after 15 minutes use??

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What temperatures are shown in the BIOS?

Most 'laptops' are not designed to be used on your lap, but you should be able to get away with 10 minutes if it's only just been turned on.

FusionRail

Toshiba laptops are prone to overheating, especially if they have a large amount of hardware that heats up.

My X200 will shut off after 10 mins of stting on a bed, or basically anything material. It can heat a room after playing a few graphics heavy games too.

The other 2 Toshiba laptops back home do the same, one of them will just overheat on a normal table.

Other toshiba laptops in the building are also prone to it.

Bayum

Established Member
Well, went into PC World, explained the situation

Apparently, I am entitled to a new laptop as I was told, or a free repair. They recommended the free repair option, and then if im still not satisfied I can go back and get a new one equal to what I paid.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Macbook White
2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB ram (soon to upgrade to 4GB)
160GB HDD

PC
AMD Athlon X2 4000+
2GB ram
250GB HDD iirc
Windoze Vista 32 bit

after a macpro to replace my pc though