• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your 'Perfect' Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
If you could design a train of your own, what would you put in it (as in compartments, or airline? Vestibules or Saloon doors? Electric or diesel? Where would you run it?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
for a starter, it would use MAGLEV technology and superconducting induction motors

sduob

Deltic hauling a train composed of the lounge car out of the Caledonian Sleeper, a sleeper car proper, and some sort of corridor brake car. With a 37 in tow for whatever lines can't accommodate the 55.

only for use by my friends and I, obviously.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
A Bi Mode combo of a retractioned 442 and a nice growly Purkins 158, complete with orrigional 158 seats, micro buffet and a mix of between 4 and 10 coaches used as standard on all regional express services at a max speed of 100 on deezol and 110 on the juice, end of every driving car equipped with cumfy 158 cycle are style tipups, lots of luggage space etc. Unit would be 2020 ready with CET toilets, propper aircon and plugs at all seats

DasLunatic

Let's see...

I'd want a re-geared 170 capable of 110mph. There'd be a bed, an on-board kitchen, living room... and I'd call it my abode. I'd have it capable of operating on all UK lines and in France - and I want to be able to drive it myself... somehow.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
A Pacer varient. But articulated sections over a shared bogie (like APT), corridor connection on both ends for multiple running (like 153), lower floor, bells liks on a bus for request stops, coverings over wheels (like Metrolink), and a Parry People mover style flywheel storing energy from a small motor or electric current if available.

The Class 145 would be suitable for all metro, rural, tram-train, services.

Pseudonym

Anything with decent seats to sink into and a view out of the front.
Like the first class in the old 1st Gen DMUs.
The guard once let me sit in first looking out of the front when I was 9 - best day of my life for several years

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Refitted pacer with end connections for multiple working, leather seating or Lay-Z Boy style seat cushions with tables, wi-fi, plugs and gearing to allow 125mph running.

Harbornite

Established Member
Good question.

I'd have a 200mph tilting electro diesel locomotive wired to a DVT. The coaches would be a mix of compartments and non compartments and all seats in the latter would be 2+1, some around tables. A coach with a bar serving wychwood brews and more would be nice. I'd also like a cab miunted camera that can display images to seat-back screens, along with other info.

Last edited:

Master29

Established Member
A class 224 Voyager/Meridian type with all the problems ironed out. i.e. more seats,less unisex toilets, and without the tapered design of the aforementioned classes would be pretty smart. A more powerful HST with say 3,000 hp per power car.

Phil.

Established Member
Deltic hauling a train composed of the lounge car out of the Caledonian Sleeper, a sleeper car proper, and some sort of corridor brake car. With a 37 in tow for whatever lines can't accommodate the 55.

only for use by my friends and I, obviously.

Shouldn't be a problem - they're both RA5.

BR60062

Here is the specs for my "Dreamliner Express" train and here is the summary

Train formation
Diesel Locomotive with Push/Pull gear
8 CAF 75ft MkV Saloons
CAF DVT with HEP/ETH Generator

Locomotive
10 Refurbished and uprated Class 60's that would be completely rebuilt inside and out. Recondition the Mirrlees Blackstone PU. Add push-pull gear to allow remote control from the DVT. Brand new three-phase AC traction motors with regenerative braking and electro-dynamic brakes to reduce brake-fade and wear. Wheelsets regeared to 110mph running. New cab interior with combined power/dynamic brake handle and all controls relocated to a new desktop for easy access to the driver. LCD monitors with touch-screens to adjust settings and also "night-vision" cameras in the headlight cases to increase visibility when driving at night. Two new high back leather seats with heated function for driver/conductor for optimum comfort that is essential for long haul journeys. The AWS/TPWS display would be replaced with the latest cab signalling display to driver.

Carriages (includes specs for each class)
A total of 72 CAF MkV Passenger cars to make a total of 10 train set formations of the "Dreamliner Express" trains. The formation would be 6 standard class, 1 buffet/business class and 1 first class car per formation. All carriages would be fitted with powered ramps that would recess under the carriage door bay for easy-access to wheelchair users. The controls would be operated by the train crew with a handset that would be locked away behind a panel like with most modern trains.

Standard class.
Typically in formation of 2+2 seating with tables at windows and also at non tabled seats. There would be ITE (In-Train Entertainment) where travellers could listen to music, play video games, watch movies and surf the web using Wi-Fi at cost. LCD displays would be present in the seat backs like you get with airlines. The seats would be covered in suede and would be high backed for extra comfort. A quiet coach would situated next to buffet/business class car further away from the locomotive. Disabled areas and toilets would be in each car

Buffet/Business Class
The buffet car would cater for hot and cold drinks. Light meals for passengers in standard and business class. Gourmet meals would be offered for our First Class passengers. Business class seating would have 50/50 leather with alcantara with an inverted recline mode so that the seats do not recline into another users space. The seats would be a "push-button" manual function. ITE would be available with free-Wifi.

First Class
Passengers in first class can expect the very best from DET (Dreamliner Express Trains) as the seating would be soft padding with hand stitched Italian cream and black leather with power reclining seats and generous legroom. The "pod" seats would have a fully integrated legrest that would rise as the seat reclines. An "at-seat" service would be available at all times with unlimited Tea/Coffee and wine that would be provided by the cabin crew. This would be designated as a "Quiet" coach.

DVT/Generator Unit
10 CAF Mkv DVT's would allow full remote control of the 10 Class 60/2's that would propel the train in the trailing position. The DVT would have a HEP/ETH generator powered by a Caterpillar C13 or a Cummins QSK19 diesel engine that would provide power the passenger cars. The generator room would be enclosed in a sound insulated room behind the drivers cab to avoid any risks of distractions from when the generator is running. The luggage/bicycle compartment is located in the compartment between the generator room and the guards office. The guards room would have monitors where they can monitor all the CCTV cameras in the train from the office and also where they can rest and prepare work when the train is in motion after they have checked tickets etc.

Routes
DET would operate two routes that would use all but two of these train sets. The first route would run from Stansted Airport to Blackpool North via Cambridge, Ely, Peterborough, Leicester, Nuneaton, Birmingham New Street, Wolverhampton, Stafford, Crewe, Warrington Bank Quay, Preston, Poulton-le-Fylde and then terminating at Blackpool North before the Class 60/2 propells the train back to Stansted with DVT leading the train.

The second route would run from Leicester to Cleethorpes. The calling points would be Loughborough, Nottingham, Newark Castle, Lincoln Central, Barnetby, Grimsby Town and then terminating at Cleethorpes before the Class 60/2 then propells the train back to Leicester with DVT leading.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
If you could design a train of your own, what would you put in it (as in compartments, or airline? Vestibules or Saloon doors? Electric or diesel? Where would you run it?)

I don't think traditional compartments are ever going to be making a comeback, but maybe there is some potential for semi compartments with transparent walls.

I think saloon doors are the way forward for non inter city type routes, though I personally prefer vestibules.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I would pretty much have a bi-mode version of the 175 but with windows the size of those in the 444 and with softer seats like those on the original build 458s or the ex-TPE 158s.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Bi-mode version of the 444s with "high-speed" cabs around 8 or nine coaches long for Intercity routes, bi-mode version of 450s for everywhere else

Andy-mc

16 coalfish wagons loaded with bubblewrap sandwiched between 2 HST powercars travelling at the record 148mph :D

Welly

A clean veneer panelled Mk2d coach with working air-conditioning without the dynamic brake noise hauled by a decent 100+ mph locomotive (steam, diesel or electric) Also no overcrowding or smelly/noisy/annoying fellow passengers!

broadgage

Presuming that we are restricting ourselves to the reasonably practical, I would choose a relatively long rake of loco hauled coaches, to be hauled by a diesel or electric loco as needed.
The type of locomotive does not actually matter that much provided that it is reliable and reasonably economical to purchase and run.

From the passengers point of view, the interior layout and facilities are far more important.
First class at one end, including a kitchen to permit of full meal service.
Standard class at the other end, with a bar/buffet in the middle of the standard class section.
The exact number of vehicles and the ratio of first to standard would depend upon the likely demand. A reasonable start for intercity use would be-
2 first class coaches
1 half first and half kitchen
4 standard class
1 bar and buffet (with central counter and ample tip up seats each end)
4 more standard class.

Total 12 vehicles.

Most customers IME prefer facing seats with tables, though some prefer air line style. A minority prefer facing seats but WITHOUT the table so as to give more legroom and space for a dog, pet or assistance.
I would therefore design the interior so as to cater as far as possible for all tastes.
One side of the coach to be entirely seats facing across tables, with windows lined up with the tables.
The other side of the coach would have at each end one bay of facing seats but without a full size table. A baby buggy or dog is readily accommodated thus. The remainder of this side of the coach would have airline seats that STILL MATCH THE WINDOWS this being achieved by inserting luggage racks as needed.
The same general layout being used in both classes but with 2+2 in standard and 2+1 and increased legroom in first.
The bar and buffet in the middle of standard class would have plenty of SMALL tables for drinks and snacks, basic tip up seats and lots of grab handles.
I believe that many passengers would welcome standing whilst drinking, as in the pub. Including those standing THROUGH CHOICE, this vehicle should accommodate at least as many passengers as a standard seating coach.
This vehicle should be equipped for the serving of hot drinks, soft drinks, alcohol, cold snacks and basic hot food such as bacon rolls, hot pies and toasted sandwiches.

To further enhance customer satisfaction at little cost, I would modify the heating and lighting from that normally used.
Heating would be provided along one side of the coach only, the heat would of course spread out a bit, but one side of the coach would be noticeably warmer.
Air conditioning would likewise be provided only to the other side of the coach, and would again spread out a bit but would result in one side being noticeably cooler.
Varying preferences regarding temperature could then be satisfied by sitting to left or right of the gangway.

Lighting would also be much more generous on one side of the gangway than the other, differing preferences regarding dim or bright lighting being catered for by sitting to left or right of the gangway.

Most customers do not really care what sort of locomotive is used, but they DO care about getting a seat, preferably one that meets there preferences regarding table or airline?
Warm or cool?
bright light to read by, or dim for resting.

A DMU version could even be developed, most customers IMHO object to DMUs due to them being too short and having cramped seating, and not in fact due to the underfloor engines.
I would not put engines under the first class vehicles though.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Page 2.. And no mention of a Class 442? What's going on??
Thanks,
Ross

J-2739

Established Member
Page 2.. And no mention of a Class 442? What's going on??
Thanks,
Ross

Nah, 321's are the new story!

I'd gauge clear a route and then export a Shinkansen train, thick leather sofas with hand crafted tables and a personal footrest, complete with-at seat service.

Credit card not included :lol:

richieb1971

Established Member
A BR classic blue loco pulling a bunch of intermodal flats (unloaded) with a convertible air cushioned brake van on the back loaded with a fridge full of beer and a couple of deck chairs.

Beer, wind in your face, the sound of a BR diesel electric locomotive and hopefully a colourful sunny British countryside. I'd be in heaven (for a few hours anyway).

Prestige15

On Moderation
I came up with a few

Electric version of class 180 and class 222

Class 185 to go on a diet

Class 91 and MK4 that can tilt

Class 70 to have plastic surgery

110 mph modern DMU (158-185)

Class 43 to be fully rebuilt and made lighter with new frond end and classed as 63 and to haul brand new lighter coaches

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I feel that these trains would be ideal on the network:

12 Coach Bi-mode MU's. There would be 7 standard coaches, 2.5 first coaches, 1.5 business coaches and one restaurant coach. One coach would be half first class, half business class, with a frosted glass door separating them. Coaches would simply be numbered 1-12 with coaches 11+12 being first class. First Class would always be positioned at the London End. First Class would feature some compartments, positioned on the second man's side, and a corridor on the drivers side. Each compartment would have a 'service' button, which would send an alert to the kitchen in coach 8. Each compartment would also have controllable light levels, heat, and window intensity (e.g. controllable tint levels). There would be reservation displays (that always actually work) outside each compartment. An at seat service would be delivered from the restaurant whenever requested by the passenger. There would also be an entertainment system built in to the compartments, and a locking system (that can be overridden by train crew.) Seats would be made of high quality leather. Luggage would be stored in a designated area in first class.

Business class would be similar standard to what first class is like now. 2+1 seating with tables. Passengers travelling in this class would get a 50% discount for restaurant items. There would be a service button at each table. They would also get an at seat service, but instead of receiving it for free, they would receive it for 50% of the standard restaurant price. They would get free water if requested. Seats made of the same leather as first class. Luggage would be stored in overhead racks or large racks at the end of the coaches. There would also be window blinds.

The restaurant coach would be for standard class, and would offer the same food service as first and business class, but without any discount. There would also be a large kitchen in this coach, it would be in coach 8. Passengers would be offered a variety of items, and the menu would reflect the time of day, and the season (e.g. Turkey at Christmas). There would also be a variety of options for vegetarian passengers. Seating would be 2+1 table seating, but would simply be fabric seating. The restaurant would function as an on board shop, but not for hot meals.

Standard class coaches would have varying seating. Each coach would have different amount of tables. So the closer to the restaurant you went, the more tables there would be. Seating would be 2+2 fabric seats. There would be large luggage racks at each end of the coach.

Every coach has a free WiFi booster, and some standard and business coaches have toilets.

The driver's cab would be similar to the Pendolino, but with a digital speed readout and a functional in cab signalling system, allowing for higher speed running. The traction and brake controller would be smooth, rather than notched, and the DSD would have a button, just like AWS, rather than a pedal.

The guard would simply work out of the rear cab and would have access to an improved TMS system in the rear cab. To also take away some of the pressure of the guard, you can find an assistant guard onboard at the restaurant.

What do you think of the design?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.