• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your 'Perfect' Train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I feel that these trains would be ideal on the network:

12 Coach Bi-mode MU's. There would be 7 standard coaches, 2.5 first coaches, 1.5 business coaches and one restaurant coach. One coach would be half first class, half business class, with a frosted glass door separating them. Coaches would simply be numbered 1-12 with coaches 11+12 being first class. First Class would always be positioned at the London End. First Class would feature some compartments, positioned on the second man's side, and a corridor on the drivers side. Each compartment would have a 'service' button, which would send an alert to the kitchen in coach 8. Each compartment would also have controllable light levels, heat, and window intensity (e.g. controllable tint levels). There would be reservation displays (that always actually work) outside each compartment. An at seat service would be delivered from the restaurant whenever requested by the passenger. There would also be an entertainment system built in to the compartments, and a locking system (that can be overridden by train crew.) Seats would be made of high quality leather. Luggage would be stored in a designated area in first class.

Business class would be similar standard to what first class is like now. 2+1 seating with tables. Passengers travelling in this class would get a 50% discount for restaurant items. There would be a service button at each table. They would also get an at seat service, but instead of receiving it for free, they would receive it for 50% of the standard restaurant price. They would get free water if requested. Seats made of the same leather as first class. Luggage would be stored in overhead racks or large racks at the end of the coaches. There would also be window blinds.

The restaurant coach would be for standard class, and would offer the same food service as first and business class, but without any discount. There would also be a large kitchen in this coach, it would be in coach 8. Passengers would be offered a variety of items, and the menu would reflect the time of day, and the season (e.g. Turkey at Christmas). There would also be a variety of options for vegetarian passengers. Seating would be 2+1 table seating, but would simply be fabric seating. The restaurant would function as an on board shop, but not for hot meals.

Standard class coaches would have varying seating. Each coach would have different amount of tables. So the closer to the restaurant you went, the more tables there would be. Seating would be 2+2 fabric seats. There would be large luggage racks at each end of the coach.

Every coach has a free WiFi booster, and some standard and business coaches have toilets.

The driver's cab would be similar to the Pendolino, but with a digital speed readout and a functional in cab signalling system, allowing for higher speed running. The traction and brake controller would be smooth, rather than notched, and the DSD would have a button, just like AWS, rather than a pedal.

The guard would simply work out of the rear cab and would have access to an improved TMS system in the rear cab. To also take away some of the pressure of the guard, you can find an assistant guard onboard at the restaurant.

What do you think of the design?

Nice design. I wouldn't feel comfortable with too much wifi however.

Established Member
A bi-mode variant of the three car Class 175.

Or re-engineered Class 507s and 508s for Merseyrail.

Blillpers

This is something I've been thinking about for a long time. I have plenty of ideas for different concepts, all being quite similar. This is my UK one:

Locomotive
Class 90 or similar AC type, capable of 110 mph.

Rolling stock
2-3 first class carriage in one end, followed by a restaurant carriage, 4-5 standard class carriages and, in the other end, a baggage/parcels carriage. Air conditioning throughout. Mk3 or similar.

Route
London Euston - Glasgow Central calling at major stations only: Carlisle, Preston, Crewe. Possibly the service could be routed via Birmingham to provide a faster service on the Birmingham - Scotland route. The timings would be to leave Glasgow in the morning and arrive London early afternoon, 2 o'clockish. The return north would be around 6 in the evening, with a late arrival in Scotland. This would make a day trip possible. The travel time would be similar to the current Pendolino service which does stop at quite a few more stations. Once the service has become popular and hence profitable, a second consist is added on an opposite timetable, leaving London in the morning.

1st class
First class would be very comfort focused. The carriages would have a mix of open and compartment seating. All first class seats are reserved and includes at-seat meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Snacks are available at all times. Big comfy seats in a 2+1 configuration in the open area, and 2+2 in the compartments. First class passengers can check in luggage in the parcels van at no extra cost. There is dedicated first class staff onboard. Free wifi and access to station lounges.

Standard class
There is one unreserved coach, the rest is reserved. As in first class, there is a mix of open and compartment seating. Standard class passengers are able to purchase snacks, drinks and full meals in the restaurant car at an additional cost. However, all passenger are offered a small soft drink and water is avilable for free at all times. Checked luggage is also an optional extra (as on many low cost airlines), as is the wifi.

Restaurant
The restaurant has a full kitchen where the meals are prepared onboard. The restaurant is part of the experience and therefore the quality of the meals is high compared to that on most other UK trains. As said above meals are served at the seat in first class, while standard class passengers can order similar meals to be eaten in the restaurant carriage.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
If you could design a train of your own, what would you put in it (as in compartments, or airline? Vestibules or Saloon doors? Electric or diesel? Where would you run it?)

Although ideally I'd like something with compartments, for modern trains I'd say the class 365 in their original configuration was, for me, quite close to perfect. A decent interior layout with a reasonable mix of facing and airline seating, adequately comfortable seats with every seat having a good window view, half tables which provide a table but don't make the seats cramped, reasonable luggage space, and a restful interior colour scheme.

The Turbos are also not a bad design, although they've always felt more "run down" than the class 365, likewise the class 465s.

Prestige15

On Moderation
If you could design a train of your own, what would you put in it (as in compartments, or airline? Vestibules or Saloon doors? Electric or diesel? Where would you run it?)

I

A 110mph 4 car 23m electrostar with end doors with first class on one end and a buffet on board used on transpennine Middlesborough - Blackpool North/Manchester Airport as a 8 car dividing at Manchester Victoria via the ordshall chord.

Like i said before a HST completely rebuilt using brand new lighter 24m coaches (like to call it HST2) formed in 8 car ( 6 standard class with a buffet around a middle of the standard class section and 2 first class with a small kitchen at the end of it)
Being used on a hourly limited stop Cross Country Plymouth - Edinburgh stopping at Newton Abbot, Exeter, Bristol TM, Bristol Parkway, Birmingham NS, Derby, Sheffield, Wakefield, Leeds, York and Newcastle.
Also a hourly Portsmouth - Edinburgh stopping at South Sea, Fratton, Havant, Haslemere, Guildford, Reading, Oxford, Birmingham NS, Walsall, Crewe, Preston, Oxenholme, Carlisle and Haymarket

mirodo

Anything which turned up and ran on time would be nice, thanks.

-Posted from Southern territory

;)

marcolaucy

HSTs with Chilternised Mark 3s.
Formed of 9 coaches, all first class with business class seatings found in international airlines (seats that turn into beds, all aisle access).
Running on GWML/ GEML :)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
4-car 210s regeared for 110mph, with shoegear on the end bogies and a pan/transformer on one of the mid cars (which would also be motored), with a bus line linking the transformer and the motored bogies to the generator set. Hey presto, a tri-mode unit! The driving trailer vehicle would have a glass back wall to the secondman's side of the cab, allowing forward views while maintaining privacy so that the driver can pick his/her nose or scratch his/her backside without becoming an accidental YouTube star;)...
First class in this vehicle, with doors modified to seal properly as per Project Renatus. The next intermediate car has a mini-buffet with real ale on tap, decent coffee, and hot pie and peas served (complementary to 1st-class pax). Standard class in the rest of the unit, with wheelchair bay in the inner end of the driving motor along with a large loo.

A 37/4 with modified couplings is attached to the motored end, just in case...

Well, it is a fantasy thread!

class387

Established Member
Although ideally I'd like something with compartments, for modern trains I'd say the class 365 in their original configuration was, for me, quite close to perfect. A decent interior layout with a reasonable mix of facing and airline seating, adequately comfortable seats with every seat having a good window view, half tables which provide a table but don't make the seats cramped, reasonable luggage space, and a restful interior colour scheme.

The Turbos are also not a bad design, although they've always felt more "run down" than the class 365, likewise the class 465s.
Yes. A great train would be to get the 365 and fit full size tables. The rest is spot on.

Not that fussed on the train design other than 2+2 seating with comfortable high backed seats, sufficient legroom for 6ft 3in person and that it is clean. Prefer to have quiet carriages as standard with one noisy carriage for those wishing to use phones etc. So long as these criteria are met and the rolling stock is reliable then that will do me.

Tempest3K

Already being worked on - just need a couple more MK3's & another powercar....

Attachments

• 41001 Boness.JPG
    41001 Boness.JPG
    468.4 KB · Views: 36

SEClass375

I would like a 5/8 car Aerostar/Original Electrostar like a High Speed Train (doors at end of carriages, no end gangways with streamlined cabs and capable of doing 140mph) both AC and DC.

kermit

A brand new Blue Pullman set with suspension, air conditioning and engine problems sorted for 100 mph running.

The driver's cab would be similar to the Pendolino, but with a digital speed readout and a functional in cab signalling system, allowing for higher speed running. The traction and brake controller would be smooth, rather than notched, and the DSD would have a button, just like AWS, rather than a pedal.

What do you think of the design?

DSD/DVD pedal couldn't really be replaced by a button. The way it works is the pedal requires to be pressed all the time or the brakes come on. It is a vigilance device ie; if you don't reset it or you lift your foot off the brakes will come on and after a set time an emergency message is sent to the signaller automatically via gsmr. I don't think you'd get many drivers happy to hold a button down constantly.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Actually my ideal train's main characteristic would be it would be longer. Outside the south there is plenty of scope for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.