• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Thing I missed on my Q10 was the lack of the optical navpad to more easily edit text. In some respects, the Bold 9900 is still better in terms of design, ignoring screen resolution and operating system.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Thing I missed on my Q10 was the lack of the optical navpad to more easily edit text. In some respects, the Bold 9900 is still better in terms of design, ignoring screen resolution and operating system.

Agreed. It can be a pain. My other criticism is the lack of auto turn on/off. :( I miss that feature.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I didn't even notice that, but you're right - I always had my BBs turn off overnight as it was the best way to save battery.

Established Member
I've got a Nokia Lumia 620 (Windows Phone 8) on o2. Really nice little phone, and quite well priced too (£150 on PAYG when I got it in March).

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've got a Nokia Lumia 620 (Windows Phone 8) on o2. Really nice little phone, and quite well priced too (£150 on PAYG when I got it in March).

Out of interest, was it the phone, the brand (Nokia) or the OS that made you choose the 620?

richw

Veteran Member
Out of interest, was it the phone, the brand (Nokia) or the OS that made you choose the 620?

I will also answer this as the only other lumia Windows phone user who has commented here.

I picked mine due to the specification being superior to other similar priced handsets. I'm paying Tesco £15 a month, for the same deal on an Iphone 4would have been £35 at the time, and the Nokia has a much higher spec.

Harbon 1

Blackberry 9900, love it to pieces, battery is shocking but I've solved that by having two spares fully charged on days out. I like it best for the buttons as it is way easier to use than anything completely touch screen

Chapeltom

Established Member
Blackberry 9900, love it to pieces, battery is shocking but I've solved that by having two spares fully charged on days out. I like it best for the buttons as it is way easier to use than anything completely touch screen

I bought a spare for my old Torch. I could leave the house at 6am and often get in at midnight with a bit of charge from one of them still left! Picked one up for under a tenner and by the end I switched phones, I couldn't tell which was the original and which was the spare!

May not be buying a spare Blackberry Q10 battery though, £22! Expensive!

HST Power

Established Member
Seeing as we have a few Blackberry users, perhaps you could advise me as to whether I would be better off upgrading to the Q10, or if the 9900 would suffice?

tractakid

I'm a very proud Windows Phone user. I'm on my 2nd Samsung Omnia 7 (after drowning my first in the sea, oops!)

I love the Xbox Live integration, and it's a very beautiful, user friendly OS. Looking forward to eventually upgrading to Windows Phone 8 when the price is right.

Jordy

Established Member
Another Windows phone fan here, I jumped ship from BlackBerry to a Nokia Lumia 800 last year and have since upgraded to a 920. The only thing that annoys me is the speed at which Nokia release new phones, making me want to upgrade all the time!

Harbon 1

Seeing as we have a few Blackberry users, perhaps you could advise me as to whether I would be better off upgrading to the Q10, or if the 9900 would suffice?

Im not keen on not having a trackpad, but theyre pretty much the same other than that, and different sortware

richw

Veteran Member
Another Windows phone fan here, I jumped ship from BlackBerry to a Nokia Lumia 800 last year and have since upgraded to a 920. The only thing that annoys me is the speed at which Nokia release new phones, making me want to upgrade all the time!

although they release software updates so us with the 800 get the software as well

jon0844

Veteran Member
The 800 won't go beyond 7.x though. End of life now, bar critical updates, I'd say.

Established Member

It was a mixture of both really. My previous phone was a BlackBerry Curve 8520 which I had to abandon because it was literally falling to bits - and I never dropped it or anything like that. I'd always quite liked the look of Windows Phone, so combined with Nokia's high build quality I thought that was the best option, especially for a fairly low price. I've never looked back since!

HST Power

Established Member
Are refurbished phones any good or a false economy? If anyone's bought one I'd be interested to hear what you think.

A refurbished phone is basically an old handset that's been cleaned up to look like new. When it comes to mobiles mine are always second hand but I'm thinking of getting a refurbished when I pick up my Blackberry. If you buy the phone privately (from a seller not the high street) your best bet would be to use a seller with a high satisfaction score (as they do on Amazon) and a sufficient warranty, that way you can send it back if it falls to pieces as soon as you open the box!

Looking on Amazon now, a Bold 9900 is £129.99 used or £169.99 refurbished - seeing as the same handset would be £230.00 new both prices seem good to me.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Many refurbished phones will be re cased and look totally new, not simply cleaned up. You can even get original boxes, screen covers, chargers and manuals!

Harbon 1

Many refurbished phones will be re cased and look totally new, not simply cleaned up. You can even get original boxes, screen covers, chargers and manuals!

I work at my cousins phone shop (its a cupboard above his family chip shop) and I've seen a phone be refurbished. Taking an older model Blackberry Curve as an example, the front is replaced including the keypad, new track pad if ones needed, same with the screen, and the chassis (rubbery back bit) is replaced along with a brand new back. Its still the same old slow phone, just shiney and new on the outside

tractakid

It is most annoying that my phone won't update to WP7.8, T Mobile not offering the update. They didn't even provide the keyboard fix, so my keyboard still does randomly disappear at times.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Well after a week of maintaining a constant vigil on eBay for a good deal, I just managed to get myself a 32GB iPhone 4S for a tad over £180 inc. p&p. I am very pleased and I anticipate it's arrival. :D

wbbminerals

I have a ZTE KIS... a smartphone on a budget. Great for using Realtime Trains and listening to music though it had problems with 'The Simpsons Tapped Out', though that is to be expected as it is probably bloatware (especially as the updates were bigger than the actual initial download). The camera is also so poor I wouldn't have bothered installing it.

antharro

Currently using a black HTC One as my primary contract phone on Vodafone. Got a Nokia C2 (PAYG, o2) and Nokia 6700 slide (PAYG, Orange). Previous phones:

HTC One X (o2) / HTC Desire (o2) / Nokia E90 Communicator (o2) / Nokia E65 (o2) / Nokia N73 (second worst phone I ever owned, had it for a week and returned it) (o2)/ NEC 313 (worst phone I ever owned) (Three) / Motorola A1000 (Three) / Nokia 7650 (first Symbian camera phone, o2) / Nokia 6310i (amazing phone, wish I still had it, o2) / Nokia 6210 (o2) / Nokia 3410 (o2) / Nokia 3310 (Cellnet) / Nokia 3210 (Cellnet) / Ericsson GA628 (Vodafone) / Some odd Sagem thing in red. (Vodafone) / Analog predecessor to the Ericsson GA628, same chassis, forgot the model number. (Vodafone) / Some odd BT branded analog phone. (Vodafone).

And if you way back, I had a Nokia 101, and a Panasonic ETACS EBJ-114. Which was HUGE and was really a car phone from the 1980ies. 1G network only. :)

I try and avoid Apple phones/tablets, not too keen on Samsung either, excepting their Note range. I'm waiting to see if I can get a good deal on a Nokia 808 PureView, the last Symbian phone. And I wouldn't mind a Nokia Lumia 925 either.

Last edited:

HST Power

Established Member
Can anyone who has an Apple device provide me with an email address to contact customer services?

I've just wasted about half an hour trawling through thousands of menus on their frankly awful website, none of which offer any solution. They can't even provide you with an email address, they seem intent on making you read through pages and pages of FAQs.

Now seeing as there are about forty seven different things going wrong with my device, I need to send an email, not read through 4000 pages of support!

There must be an email address?!

Lrd

Established Member
Can anyone who has an Apple device provide me with an email address to contact customer services?

I've just wasted about half an hour trawling through thousands of menus on their frankly awful website, none of which offer any solution. They can't even provide you with an email address, they seem intent on making you read through pages and pages of FAQs.

Now seeing as there are about forty seven different things going wrong with my device, I need to send an email, not read through 4000 pages of support!

There must be an email address?!
Take it to an Apple store.

Status
Not open for further replies.