• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your pub and hospitality experience as the Covid restrictions ease

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
If you order on an App, you have to pay for your drinks at the time of ordering.
Depends on the pub. Some around me are just taking payment when they bring your drinks to your table.
But yeah for the Spoons app its payment at the time of ordering.

To be fair, you can still get a decent idea by just looking at how busy the pub is in terms of people / tables. If nearly all tables are taken then there's a good chance your drinks will take a while (and actually that was my experience of using the app at a few different Spoons before COVID too).

Two hours does seem mad though, I'm assuming if that is true they must have forgotten about the order or something (I've had that happen with a food order at Spoons before too).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
Two hours does seem mad though, I'm assuming if that is true they must have forgotten about the order or something (I've had that happen with a food order at Spoons before too).
This happened to me a couple of years ago. They had stuck new table numbers down but ours had come off and was still showing the old number!

joncombe

Breakfast almost back to normal - only the hot items you cannot access yourself.
That's good. I stayed at a Premier Inn at the weekend. They are still not doing any kind of buffet breakfast. In theory the table service is still "all you can eat", (in practice it isn't because they will tell you they need the table for another booking), but was very disappointed to be served "half length" sausages. I suspect very much a cost cutting and of course unlike a buffet, you can't see the size of the sausages until they are on the plate so if you want more (because they are half the size you are expecting) you have to wait for them to take the order to the kitchen etc. Choice still far more limited than the buffet too.

The bar area was closed and the restaurant was massively below the capacity needed to cope with everyone staying so the hours for breakfast very limited as most of the popular times had already been booked. Also a ridiculous piece of bureaucracy you could reserve a time for breakfast at reception but not for an evening meal (you had to join a different queue to ask the restaurant staff).

Butts

Veteran Member
Would someone please explain this to me? I spent a few days in a hotel a couple of weeks back and the hot breakfast buffet wasn't back on the menu there either.

At Express by Holiday Inn the Breakfast in included in the price of the Room (unlike Premier Inn)

Normally you help yourself to everything but the hot food is the only thing they serve you with and you access the rest yourself. Most things are packaged although not the bread !

Last week at the HI Express Newcastle they were only offering a hot bacon or sausage b/roll which came from the kitchen and the rest you helped yourself to - the bread was packaged there.

Premier Inn serve everything to your table drinks and hot/cold food.

RailAleFan

I think the hospitality industry and their technology suppliers are going through a steep learning curve as they adapt to all this.

An order for a pint of Ruddles received 2 seconds after a hen party cocktail order for example, can be handled differently, queued to a different prep / floor team depending on the number staff on duty and order complexity.

Our big 'spoons has more screens front of house now than the Birmingham New Street control room.

Last edited:

Ediswan

Established Member
I think the hospitality industry and their technology suppliers are going through a steep learning curve as they adapt to all this.

An order for a pint of Ruddles received 2 seconds after a hen party cocktail order for example, can be handled differently, queued to a different prep / floor team depending on the number staff on duty and order complexity.

Our big 'spoons has more screens front of house now than the Birmingham New Street control room.
On the bright side, the system willl know from the outset that the hen party order is complicated.

I suspect we have all been in a queue behind another customer who places their large order as a seemingly endless sequence of "and ....." each time the previously requested items have been supplied. Especially those who end with "and four pints of Guinness".

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Went to a Wetherspoon pub in Wales this evening. The man on the door said that they had to take a paper copy of the tracking form from every adult guest. I overheard another customer behind me ask about an App and the staff member told her that isn’t allowed in Wales & it has to be the form. Despite going to a few cafes and a pub since they reopened in England I’d never actually been asked before to provide details but at this venue the man was quite strict to ensure the form was completed and handed to him before even allowing someone to go more than a few steps inside.

As an aside, I know that table service is compulsory; yet I went to Pret’s in London last week and it works just the same as it always did (ie. you queue up inside for service and take your food / drinks to a table yourself). So what’s the difference?

takno

Established Member
Went to a Wetherspoon pub in Wales this evening. The man on the door said that they had to take a paper copy of the tracking form from every adult guest. I overheard another customer behind me ask about an App and the staff member told her that isn’t allowed in Wales & it has to be the form. Despite going to a few cafes and a pub since they reopened in England I’d never actually been asked before to provide details but at this venue the man was quite strict to ensure the form was completed and handed to him before even allowing someone to go more than a few steps inside.

As an aside, I know that table service is compulsory; yet I went to Pret’s in London last week and it works just the same as it always did (ie. you queue up inside for service and take your food / drinks to a table yourself). So what’s the difference?
Wetherspoons in Edinburgh was the fussiest place I went to for track and trace last summer (as well as being easily the least pleasant internal environment and having the most dispirited staff). Either they are just being super-cautious because they know that the ramblings of their esteemed leader have put a target on their back, or they have decided to engage in malicious compliance and are finding extra rules to comply with in order to blame the government.

westv

Established Member
Only if alcohol is involved I believe. Every coffee shop, cafe, chippy etc I have been in hasn't done table service.
I with that UK establishments would embrace the table service which seems so common abroad.

richw

Veteran Member
I took my 3 children, and 3 step children to a Wetherspoons for a quick lunch yesterday whilst away from home. We were told despite being a single household that under no circumstances were we allowed to sit together, as there is no flexibility or common sense in their maximum group of 6.
They were quite happy for some of the children to be seated on a separate table away from adult supervision. The oldest is 11! So it seems 6 is more important than child supervision in their eyes, yet the latter would be a breach of licensing restrictions!

ChrisC

Established Member
At Express by Holiday Inn the Breakfast in included in the price of the Room (unlike Premier Inn)

Normally you help yourself to everything but the hot food is the only thing they serve you with and you access the rest yourself. Most things are packaged although not the bread !

Last week at the HI Express Newcastle they were only offering a hot bacon or sausage b/roll which came from the kitchen and the rest you helped yourself to - the bread was packaged there.

Premier Inn serve everything to your table drinks and hot/cold food.
I stayed for 6 nights last week at the Holiday Inn Express in Gloucester. Apart from the dining area and breakfast everything was very normal. Room was serviced every day and there were proper cups in the room and not paper cups that I found in some more upmarket hotels last summer.

They did seem to be going a bit overboard with social distancing in the dining area and there were only very limited number of tables available. This was no problem as they were encouraging grab and go breakfasts with large paper carrier bags provided to take breakfast back to your room. The only hot food items were bacon rolls and sausage rolls and these were regularly replenished from the kitchen and were always warm and fresh. There was also plenty of bread for toast. I actually found it very useful to be able to fill my carrier bag with items like croissants, fruit and yoghurts to eat later in the day whilst I was out walking. I don’t think that I have ever been on a holiday where I have spent less on food as I was able to make the most of the breakfast that was included in the price of my room.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've rarely failed to find a cafe/restaurant that offers table service when I've wanted one.
Seems standard at most cafes in London that I go to for breakfast when at work. The only annoying thing is that whilst the order and food is taken to your seat you usually have to queue up at the counter to pay the bill.

philosopher

Established Member
I with that UK establishments would embrace the table service which seems so common abroad.
Personally I am not that keen on table service. Places with bar service to me feel more relaxed and they are usually cheaper.

That said, it would be good if some pubs and cafes do retain table service to give consumers a choice.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Personally I am not that keen on table service. Places with bar service to me feel more relaxed and they are usually cheaper.

That said, it would be good if some pubs and cafes do retain table service to give consumers a choice.
In this day and age, with significant numbers of the public having access to smartphones, providing some level of table service without a scrum at the bar is probably the way forward, without invoking too much of a high cost. Even McDonalds manages it at most of their outlets.

takno

Established Member
In this day and age, with significant numbers of the public having access to smartphones, providing some level of table service without a scrum at the bar is probably the way forward, without invoking too much of a high cost. Even McDonalds manages it at most of their outlets.
i can't figure out how to work MacDonalds anymore. It's all touchscreens and pre-orders and nonsense. Last time I tried I waited 20 minutes and didn't get any food.

I've given up

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I did a mini-pub/train crawl today. Crewe Hero closed so bought a couple of bottles of Peroni from the coffee stand on platform 5. Sat in the sun and did some spotting and collected some numbers. Then went up to Mouldsworth via Chester and went in the old station hotel (now The Goshawk) - superb area outside and lovely to sit in the Cheshire countryside with a beer, a very relaxed experience. I then went back to Chester and had a pint in the Town Crier opposite the station (a bit rough but nice enough and a relaxed and well organised experience again).

Mintona

Established Member
Had some varying experiences this week.

Pizza Hut in Bridgend on Tuesday - pre booked a table because thought it might be busy, so left name and number there. Upon arrival I was asked for name, number and photo ID. Wife was asked for the same. However she had no photo ID on her. She checked in on the NHS app but was told that doesn’t count in Wales, it has to be name and number, and verified against photo ID. Seemed a bit much, nowhere else in Wales had asked for that.

Premier Inn in Exeter tonight - staying for two nights, been told there is no chance of food in the restaurant this evening or tomorrow evening, or tomorrow morning or Saturday morning for breakfast as they are fully booked. Restaurant is operating at low capacity due to Covid.

Unnamed restaurant in Exeter this evening - wasn’t asked to check in, no details taken, had to wear masks to walk to table and that was it. Delightful to be honest. Food was great too.

johntea

Established Member
i can't figure out how to work MacDonalds anymore. It's all touchscreens and pre-orders and nonsense. Last time I tried I waited 20 minutes and didn't get any food.

I've given up

They've also thrown Deliveroo / Just Eat / whatever in the mix so you're often waiting behind a string of orders being prepared for those delivery drivers now before getting your food too!

island

Veteran Member
Premier Inn in Exeter tonight - staying for two nights, been told there is no chance of food in the restaurant this evening or tomorrow evening, or tomorrow morning or Saturday morning for breakfast as they are fully booked. Restaurant is operating at low capacity due to Covid.
Not sure if it’s convenient to your location but Brody’s Bistro near Exeter Central station does a frankly absurdly good all you can eat breakfast for a tenner.

telstarbox

Established Member
Seems standard at most cafes in London that I go to for breakfast when at work. The only annoying thing is that whilst the order and food is taken to your seat you usually have to queue up at the counter to pay the bill.
Surely that helps if you're on a limited break as you aren't waiting for them to bring the bill and come back with your change etc?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Surely that helps if you're on a limited break as you aren't waiting for them to bring the bill and come back with your change etc?
Depends if you get stuck in a queue, sometimes you might end up having to leave at the same time as a load of builders or people just doing walk ins to get a take a way order.

High Dyke

Established Member
Out of curiosity what is the difference? From a casual look they look pretty much identical (i.e. you scan a QR code with your phone either as you enter or on the table you sit down on).
In England I need to turn on Bluetooth, open the NHS app and then select 'check into venue'. As I've got the app it knows my details.

In Scotland it was merely open the QR code reader on.my phone, follow the hyperlink, insert name and contact number. Sorted. Personally I just found the method in Scotland easier to check-in at venues.

westv

Established Member
Had some varying experiences this week.

Pizza Hut in Bridgend on Tuesday - pre booked a table because thought it might be busy, so left name and number there. Upon arrival I was asked for name, number and photo ID. Wife was asked for the same. However she had no photo ID on her. She checked in on the NHS app but was told that doesn’t count in Wales, it has to be name and number, and verified against photo ID. Seemed a bit much, nowhere else in Wales had asked for that.
Photo ID to get into Pizza Hut?! Think I'd rather starve.

packermac

I have been to the same café twice and a pub yesterday in the past week. Both in the past to my knowledge had not employed foreign staff, but both were offering very lengthy service due to lack of staff. In fact the café on the second visit even had a sign saying things would be slow due to staff shortage.
I have no app but details taken either on paper or tablet. The café is part of a larger attraction and it was a pain giving the same details to both businesses.
I was never one for eating out pre Covid, nothing I have seen will do anything other than push me further away.
BBC saying many staff have gone off to work in courier industry.

route101

Established Member
They've also thrown Deliveroo / Just Eat / whatever in the mix so you're often waiting behind a string of orders being prepared for those delivery drivers now before getting your food too!
Yes, the delivery couriers get priority over normal orders.

Don't usually pre order food, never can be sure exact time I arrive.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Photo ID to get into Pizza Hut?! Think I'd rather starve.
Great way to put off customers as for some the only photo ID they have is a passport and who carries a passport with them when popping out to the local restaurant? (Assuming they are not buying alcohol and look young)

londonteacher

I've given up
I'm sure people said the same when supermarkets came along, electric trains first used.

Things move on and this is nothing to do with Covid. Was all happening before and if anything covid sped it up. You can still order at a till or ask for help with the touch screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.