• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your very first rail journey with parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
If you're aware of being old, then I'm positively ancient!

My earliest memory is of a journey from Sowerby Bridge to Halifax, about 1955ish.

A dirty LMS six-a-side non-corridor compartment, with prickly horse-hair upholstery which hadn't seen a brush in years - I dread to think what was living in them, and then off my blotched, short-trousered legs.

My father cutting his return ticket in two with his penknife in between puffing away at his cigarette.

Then his getting up as the train drew into Halifax, and opening the window with the leather strap so he could lean out and open the door when the train had stopped.

Then seeing a rake of the first Derby Lightweight dmus parked in Halifax [presumably on test], and thinking how modern they looked after what I had just alighted from!

Ha ha. You win. I am of 1974 vintage. I do remember smacking the seats on a 304 and watching all the fag ash puffing up in the air. Got a slap on the legs off my mum for that. Ha ha.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
I expect you are right about the King, Mountainier. I believe these worked services between Paddington and Shrewsbury where a loco change would take place for something a little less heavy on the track.

:(

Yes - loco change would be at either Shrewsbury or at Wolverhampton Low Level - more probably the latter, as Wolverhampton Stafford Road depot had an allocation of Kings.

nicobobinus

Our household has never had a car so from birth I've been wheeled/toddled onto all the public transport options available from our wedge of inner London. The first journey I can remember was a day trip from King's Cross to Cambridge on a 317 c.1989. I was three, so hazy memories exist of NSE colours in the sun at Cambridge (and red station furniture - all the primary colours must have been quite stimulating to my junior eyes!), then of the 'upturned broom'-style pole mounted illuminated station signs getting back into KGX after dark. No idea why that image in particular stuck with me.

Many trips between Seven Sisters/Angel and Elephant & Castle via the Victoria & Northern lines in 1990-1 - I have much more vivid memories of these, and this was when the Northern was truly deserving of it's 'misery line' status, dingy lighting and crowded, all creaks and bangs from the 1959 stock as the train visibily swayed, dipped and rose along the City branch, grab poles swinging in unison as we went, wall-mounted tunnel cables oscillating wildly with great clarity through the single glazed windows. The exteriors of some of the units were a mess but apparently I was fascinated by the graffiti! Less so by the island arrangement at Angel where I was convinced nowhere on the platform was a safe distance from the edges where trains would seemingly belt it in from the tunnel mouths. Do the 1996 units tackle Clapham N/Common at a more sedate pace these days? It feels that way.

I don't think I went on a proper 'intercity' journey until 1997 - Euston to Glasgow Central headed by an 87 which conked out at Lancaster. Free Virgin Cola was doled out which got younger sibling and I buzzed up, probably to the annoyance of the other passengers as we charged up and down the aisles and played in the vestibules! Then out of Glasgow Central low level (via the grimmest station toilets I've ever seen) to Lanark (why we didn't change at Motherwell I don't know) on an SPT orange 303, past miles of abandoned industry and estates ready for demolition. Even having spent years in some of the most run down areas of London, the scale and extent of what I saw heading away from Glasgow on that trip always stuck with me. Pulling into Lanark felt like another world.

Last edited:

daddsie71b

Whitstable to Bridport in 1963/64. Can remember the underground's car had a wooden slated floor and at Paddington dad was pouring out tea from a thermos and spilt it when the loco backed onto the train, thats my only memories as a three year old.

caliwag

Perth to Dundee West, probably early 50s. Most likely hauled by a C16 or Shire, a stopper with non-corridor coaches.
On the return we always piled off at Perth Princes St. (anyone remember that one?) as it was near a good chippy.
To be honest, I've no idea why Princes St lasted so long as it and Perth General (the Dundee platforms) must just about take the biscuit as the closest stations in the land. (In Scotland at least and on the same line!) Discuss.

rm88

I remember when I was about 8 or 9, every now and again me and my brother and dad went from chester to bache, that was great, i used to love doing that. obviously nowadays i go much further, ellesmere port lol.

fowler9

Established Member
I remember when I was about 8 or 9, every now and again me and my brother and dad went from chester to bache, that was great, i used to love doing that. obviously nowadays i go much further, ellesmere port lol.

Ha ha. Fair play.

Established Member
Also my first spotting trip at a major station, well compared to Seaburn and Sunderland, it was. my cousins and I spent many an hour by the old signal box and sidings, where there would be at least one but normally 2 08's parked up, on the Sunderland - Newcastle line, roughly where the Stadium of Light Metro Station is now, taking the numbers of the Multi's, as my cousins told me they were to be called and the odd frieght and coal trains to Wearmoth Cooliery and Sunderland South Dock. By god, when the semiphore signal went up, excitement reigned, until my cousin, who had his lofty position on the wall would shout,coal or just another scabby multi:p:p:p:p
After much badgering to Mam and Dad, my dad was given the job of taking, my 2 cousins and I to Newcastle from Seaburn on a Class 101. I still maintain, the only thing I can remember of that journey, was how bouncey the seats seemed to be. Later on in years and after making endless journeys on the 101's, between Sunderland and Carlisle, I still maintain they were warmer and a damn sight more comfortable than the 142 and 143's.

christopher

My first would of probably been Romford to Stratford but the earliest journey I can remember is on the Central Line on the curves at Bank and crying because of the noise! :lol::lol:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Oddly my earliest railway memory was in 1974 in Britanny when I was 3 of travelling on one of those funny red and cream French railcars which had the raised drivers cab (Picassos' s?). I also remember several recently discarded Mallet tanks in the yards at one station. As for the UK I must have been less than 5 and standing on a holdall looking out that pair of little windows at the back of a rake of mk2's from London to Leeds. Oddly I don't remember any of the return journey which suggests I was asleep all the way back!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The earliest railway memory for me was going on a 158 coming back to Cardiff from Newport having been Christmas shopping. We got on the 158 at Newport and I remember finding two forward facing table seats, which I was most impressed about! Now I avoid them like the plague as I hate table seats with a passion!

fowler9

Established Member
The earliest railway memory for me was going on a 158 coming back to Cardiff from Newport having been Christmas shopping. We got on the 158 at Newport and I remember finding two forward facing table seats, which I was most impressed about! Now I avoid them like the plague as I hate table seats with a passion!

Blimey I feel old again, I was in my teens when I saw 150001 on test in Derby.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Rotherham Masborough to Sheffield (on an old DMU) - sitting in the front seats and being able to see forwards :D (in the days of Brightside and Attercliffe Road - no Meadowhell, just mile after mile of factory!)

Or the same, but to York from Rotherham Masborough

Established Member
Probably a 503 Leasowe to either Birkenhead H Sq or Liverpool sometime 1976/7 whilst in a pram :P

Established Member
Cambridge - Kings Cross non-stop on a newly refurbished 317/6, when I was 4 or so. I think that explains why my favourite units are 317s, plenty of childhood memories of them in about ten different liveries.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Singer - Balloch on a unrefurbished 318 & a 303 is the earliest one I can remember. The 318 developed a fault near Dumbarton and we were de-trained at Dumbarton Central. The 318 then headed back to Yoker (I think), and a few minutes later, a 303 appeared from the Dalreoch direction, ready to take us to Balloch.

Last edited:

GatwickDepress

Established Member
A Network SouthCentral Thumper a few months after my birth (obviously I don't remember it, but it was hardly going to be a CIG operating from Hastings - Three Oaks!) for a relative's party at the pub of the same name there.

I don't remember it. It'll have been a bog standard CAS-MCV affair.

I'm told we caught the train to BPN and back once, and I was given biscuits by some very pleasant football fans.

Wonder if that was a Reggie Rail 37...

45rpm

Apparently I traversed the Richmond to Eryholme Junction branch en route to & from Darlington but as I was only 14 months old when the branch closed to passenger traffic I have no recollection of this.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
(obviously I don't remember it, but it was hardly going to be a CIG operating from Hastings - Three Oaks!) for a relative's party at the pub of the same name there.

Not as unlikely as you think. I had an enjoyable journey on a CIG between Ashford and Hastings once (loco hauled obviously).

Ore tunnel with no lights was particularly memorable :lol:

anti-pacer

Established Member
Possibly not the first rail journey, but the first one I remember was from Bradford Interchange to Manchester Victoria when I was 5 years old (1979).

I actually remember it really well. I went with my dad on a business trip. Well, I say business trip, it was to drop something off at one of his clients (no, he wasn't a drug dealer).

He took me to a Chinese restaurant afterwards where I had a beef curry and promptly cried afterwards as it was too hot!

One thing I do remember was going for walks to Thackley Woods near where I grew up in Bradford, and sitting above the tunnel watching the then DMU's trundling in and out of it.

Ah, happy days!

Holly

Acton Bridge to Liverpool Lime Street. 1951. The only things I remember is that the coaches were painted maroon and we travelled third class.

Oh, and that to open the doors you had to first lower the window using the leather strap and then reach outside for the handle.
You could smell the difference between Liverpool and rural Cheshire, very pronounced.

So much better than nowadays.

falsie

mm I'm still a young'un but I have really vivid memories of going back to Brighton from London late at night every weekend with my mum, sitting in a pitch black first class compartment of a slam door, looking out the windows :') was probably a 421. I used to think they were really cute and I guess thats what started me off haha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.