• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your view on buying part built kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_K666

Would you buy them? A certain auction site has plenty of kit built locomotives for sale but for me, part of the appeal is building it start to finish. It'd be like buying an apple only to find someone has taken a bite already. Eww. I have also found that the moment I buy a kit one of the manufacturers announces a RTR version.

That said even K's kits are getting expensive now, and they came with everything, even if the motors could be a bit ropey and the wheels suspect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
I've not bought any loco kits as of yet, but the idea of buying a part-built one is still an interesting thought.
If a kit had been part-built and the difficult bits had been done (perhaps motor fitting, as an example), I'd probably go for it. However, if it needed lots of work, then I'd probably go for an entirely-unbuilt kit as that's probably going to be easier.
One of my concerns when buying part-built kits would be if all the parts are there: there's nothing worse than losing a bit of a kit when making a building or something like that so an engine would be worse, especially seeing as most bits on an engine tend to be necessary for it to look right. Another issue is that of painting - a lot of the part-built kits I've seen for sale online have already had paint applied, making the job of painting the full thing more difficult as you either have to find the right shade of the colour, or you have to strip all the paint off and start again.

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.