• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your views on the best standard/first class seating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Hello all,

What are your favourite seating arrangements available on a UK TOC?

GWR 158 standard class is my favourite - they are so comfortable and there is plenty of cushion action - you really sink into the seat and can easily sleep if you need to.

For first class, I really enjoy the ATW MK3 seats - they are just pure luxury - twice the size they need to be and incredibly again incredibly cushiony - you can really melt into them while eating your three course dinner.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mallard

Established Member
Best standard class seating is probably a tie between Cl222 seating and properly upholstered (not ruined by rock-hard overstuffing ala EMT) IC70s. The original Cl158/159 seating is also good.

For first class, again a properly maintained IC70 or really anything that isn't "leather" or virtually identical to standard as on most commuter stock.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I very much dislike the first class ATW MK3 seats. (But the food more than compensates!)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Best Standard: Grammer seating as used on GWR HST, EMT and ATW 158 etc.

Best 1st that I’ve used: Pendolino. But I haven’t tried the GWR HST 1st, that looks better.

class387

Established Member
Grammar seats as used in the GWR HST are my favourite seat, but the layout and ambience could be improved. The seats on the unrefurbished Eurostar 373 are also extremely comfortable and the layout is good too.

The first class cabin on the GWR HST is definitely my favourite interior in the UK - simply stunning. The seats are a bit firm though.

JohnRegular

Caledonian sleeper seats count for standard? :lol:

The only time I have been in first was a VTEC HST Aberdeen-Kings Cross. Not really a fan of the leather seating, would have preferred a single standard seat to be honest.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Best standard (medium/long distance): Refurbished 185.
Best standard (local/commuter): London Midland 172.

Can't really offer an opinion on First Class, as it's so long since I used it other than when declassified which is cheating!

Clansman

Established Member
Best standard for me is the 395s seats, with my preffered current first class seat being those onboard Eurostar e320s - surprisingly comfy and roomy I must say. Although I dare say I had a soft spot for both pre & post Mallard seats onboard GNER HSTs.

DJames

In my experience, I'd say the Chiltern Mark 3's, way more comfortable than the standard class on any of Virgin's stock. I'm off to London and back tomorrow, so I'm crossing my fingers that it's a loco hauled service that I end up catching.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Best standard for me is the 395s seats, with my preffered current first class seat being those onboard Eurostar e320s - surprisingly comfy and roomy I must say. Although I dare say I had a soft spot for both pre & post Mallard seats onboard GNER HSTs.

Not used the e320 First, but the Standard seats allow you to extend the cushion for more underthigh support which is a really nice feature.

Edit: The tables are stupid, though, they eat legroom.

Last edited:

class387

Established Member
I disagree about the e320s. The First seat seem almost identical to the Standard ones, other than the 2+1 seating, with no extra comfort. Quite disappointing to be honest - if I wasn't upgraded I wouldn't have been very happy.

highspeed990

I've heard people say Chiltern Railways mark 3s were the worst.

Does London Underground count? If so, 1972 stock on the bakerloo line is probably the best on the underground right now. 1967 stock on the Victoria line was just as good. A stock on the Metropolitan line was the best.

Thameslink Class 319s I quite liked, And Virgin Train East Coast Mark 3 and Mark 4s had hard yet comfortable seats.

But then again I haven't been on a wide variety of trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ah so aesthetic wise, not comfort wise.

Unless you are skinny and short IC70 seating is highly uncomfortable.

They are a cheap and nasty job. The only thing counting in their favour is the generous pitch (Standard seats at First Class spacing), but I'd take Grammer seats at that pitch over them any day.

Mathew S

Established Member
Obviously can only base this on what I've traveled on but:
Standard - VTWC voyagers, plenty of legroom and nice spacious seats.
First - probably TPE 350s

That said, I traveled on a refurbished Northern 150 the other day and the seats were very comfortable indeed... loads (and I mean loads) of cushioning. Normally can't abide 150s, but it was a very pleasant journey indeed.

Last edited:

Mathew S

Established Member
I assume that refers to the former hybrid coach which has a 2+2 "business class" layout with full window alignment? One set has two such coaches.

Not sure which coach you mean, but there's a shop coach on one of the voyagers that has all table seats, which is particularly nice. I quite like the voyagers full stop though, certainly prefer them to 390s.
Worth bearing in mind though that I'm usually stuck on Northern 142s travelling from Pemberton... so frankly anything that has armrests and doesn't pour water into the carriage whenever there's light drizzle is first class in my eyes

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
2nd class) VTEC 225

1st class) GWR HST - though the VTEC first comes a very close second.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Not sure which coach you mean, but there's a shop coach on one of the voyagers that has all table seats, which is particularly nice.
Yes, it's coach D on all the Virgin Voyager units, which is the coach with the shop in it.
One set has two such coaches.
Not any more it doesn't (221143 previously being the unit in question), since the jiggery pokery to restore 221144 to a four coach unit.

Last edited:

Best standard - GWR/SWT original 158/9 seats, also in some Northern 158s. Second best is grammar with the big "ears" - as found on GWR HST's and EMT/Scotrail IS based 158s. Also 175/180 seats.

Best 1st Class - Scotrail and Anglia 170s, or Pendolinos.

mushroomchow

I'm inclined to agree with those folks who aren't fans of leather seats. For some reason there's this ill-informed perception that you can slap a cow's arse on anything and it'll make it "luxury", when in reality it's just annoyingly slippery and, in the summer, chafing! Done right a leather seat is amazing, but too often I'd rather just have the legroom and keep the seat from Standard.

In fact, I can go back to my recent trip on the AVE from Alicante to Madrid. Dad had managed to somehow book 1st Class on the way back by accident, but honestly speaking I found the "Tourist" class we had on the way there more comfortable!

Though the catering staff being on strike meaning we didn't get any at-chair service probably skewed my perception a bit. ;)

dk1

Veteran Member
Best standard - GWR/SWT original 158/9 seats, also in some Northern 158s. Second best is grammar with the big "ears" - as found on GWR HST's and EMT/Scotrail IS based 158s. Also 175/180 seats.

Best 1st Class - Scotrail and Anglia 170s, or Pendolinos.

I'd definatley agree with the 1st class GA 170s but only the 3-car units. The latter build 2-car sets (270-273) are nowhere near as good.

SWT 159 Standard class seats are extremely comfortable.

class387

Established Member
Unless you are skinny and short IC70 seating is highly uncomfortable.

They are a cheap and nasty job. The only thing counting in their favour is the generous pitch (Standard seats at First Class spacing), but I'd take Grammer seats at that pitch over them any day.
The Chiltern Mk3s are the best out of those with IC70s (which I do dislike) though. As said the legroom is good, as is the amount of bays and I like the furnishings too.

Strathclyder

Established Member
(With advance apologies to 61653 HTAFC for nabbing his post layout lol)

Best standard (medium/long distance): GNER 225
Best standard (local/commuter): SPT/Scotrail 318s & 320s

Can't offer any views/opinions of First Class, as I have never used it!

ChilternTurbo

I'm definitely not a fan of the Chiltern Mk.3 seats, Business Zone ones excepted. I find they're too low and I have to limbo dance between the fixed armrest and table if I've got a window seat. I'd much rather travel on a 168 which I find very comfortable.
I know that this is a subjective topic but I find both the standard and first class seating on VTEC Mk3 and Mk4 stock very comfortable. I also like the rather firm seats you get on a Pendolino in both standard and first, even if the interiors are looking rather rough around the edges on certain units...

class387

Established Member
I'm definitely not a fan of the Chiltern Mk.3 seats, Business Zone ones excepted. I find they're too low and I have to limbo dance between the fixed armrest and table if I've got a window seat. I'd much rather travel on a 168 which I find very comfortable.
I know that this is a subjective topic but I find both the standard and first class seating on VTEC Mk3 and Mk4 stock very comfortable. I also like the rather firm seats you get on a Pendolino in both standard and first, even if the interiors are looking rather rough around the edges on certain units...
I don't think I would rather travel on a 168 because of the underfloor engine vibration, but I do agree that the Turbostar seats are very comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.