• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your walks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWM

Established Member
I did Cambridge to Ely last Monday, along the Cam/Ouse, which I'd been meaning to do for decades. I started this once before, many years ago, but gave up at Waterbeach :)

Mostly fine, though I was rather tired by the end - I'm used to walks of 12 miles or so, this was about 17. Ground conditions were good everywhere except for one almost impassable path that had been churned up by tractors and was a total mess - I ended up a lot muddier than I'd have liked. Oh well.

Didn't take any photos, sorry! Thinking of doing Newmarket to Ely over the weekend, which is a similar distance but with more roads and less river; I'll try to take some pics.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A couple of days ago I had a monster 16.25 mile walk involving the coverage of multiple footpaths, bridleways and other required coverage for walkage on my OS map. So I got my photos of the former railway bridge at Rotherwas, this would have been on the line to Ross-on-Wye/Gloucester20210303_120921.jpg
Facing towards Holme Lacy, the next stop heading out of Hereford towards Gloucester.

20210303_120952.jpg
A more head-on view of the bridge at Rotherwas, Hereford.

20210303_121226.jpg
This time facing towards Hereford, this view includes the surrounding scenery of the bridge. The former railway is now part of National Cycle Network Route 44, and between that and the bridge is an industrial estate.

20210303_122310.jpg
Having essentially reverse-mountaineered down the footpath from the B road, this rather worn bridge has seen better days!

20210303_135048.jpg
Finally, this view was from the bridleway off the A49 to the housing estates of Lower Bullingham, Hereford. On a clear day, the view of the hills is far better, and that mist is what caused me to go walking instead of cycling!

nlogax

Established Member
Quick two and a bit hour (7 miles) jaunt up from Barrhead to Glennifer Braes and back today. Need to do it again in clearer weather, but even today the views were rewarding. This phone panorama doesn’t really do it justice.

8ECE097A-3682-474B-8F6C-FEC9D51DB994.jpeg

The vista is right across Clydebank, sweeping across Paisley and the entirety of Glasgow with Ben Lomond looming far in the distance. There was definitely snow visible. When I next do this walk on a nicer day the drone will have to come with me for some better sweeping footage.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Looks good! Certainly looks well worth the effort for such a view. Hoping to get out for an exploring walk again today, pending the weather. Done a fair amount of cycling this week, could do with adding some more coverage to my OS map now...

Kite159

Veteran Member
Saturday I headed to Whitchurch (blame Paul W on YouTube!) and walked part of the old Didcot, Newbury & Southampton railway where it dives underneath the platforms at the main Whitchurch stations carrying on until I could escape from the cutting. Afterwards came back round to cover a few more rights of way in an area I've driven through many times but never really explored.

After another part of the old railway line (comes to a dead-end near the A34 where the dual carriageway cuts across the old route), I did another loop south-west of the town (via a permissive path and a quiet lane) coming across Tufton Viaduct before carrying on back to the town centre before ending back at the station

A farm crossing viaduct north of the station

Tufton Viaduct

River Test in Whitchurch Area (5)

Walk 6 March.jpg

On the Sunday was a family trip to West Down Nature Reserve, near Chilbolton, before heading towards the remains of Fullerton Junction station

xotGD

Established Member
Yesterday after work I took a stroll to the Bingley Five Rise Locks. Just half an hour from home. Unusually, I had my phone in my pocket, so was able to take a couple of photos.

Here is the view from the top of the flight:

Five Rise Locks.jpg

This piece of traction was stabled in front of the cafe:

Anastazia.jpg

The return journey was uphill, so a bit more strenuous!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
9 mile walk this morning to cover some rather large gaps (and some smaller ones) in the Breinton area of Hereford, no photos though. I had forgot just how much uphill walking is involved in that area, still managed a decent 4.4mph average speed.

Sitting around at home, following the event, devouring M&Ms is not the ideal thing to do mind :lol: Perhaps by finishing the packet I'll then have less temptations to not stick to a healthy lifestyle :idea:

I would have used my day off to do some more hill climbing training on the bike, but with the forecasted winds there was no way I'd risk it. The rain held off, to my surprise, which was great but oh well :frown:

The big bonus is that I'm now much, much closer to saying "Hereford, tick" in terms of coverage of the city on my OS map <:D

DB

Yesterday after work I took a stroll to the Bingley Five Rise Locks. Just half an hour from home. Unusually, I had my phone in my pocket, so was able to take a couple of photos.

Here is the view from the top of the flight:

View attachment 92205

This piece of traction was stabled in front of the cafe:

View attachment 92207

The return journey was uphill, so a bit more strenuous!

The cafe (behind the boat in your second photo) is worth a visit when it's open again!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Managed to get some train photos on my essentials shopping walk yesterday afternoon, if I had realised quite how strong the wind would be this morning I might have stocked up slightly more. Mind you I'd have not been able to get any good bread yesterday (however as a result of such a late shop I have tried some of the fancy rolls on the Morrisons pick and mix selection, highly recommended) so since I've got to take the bike for a service later...

20210310_171212.jpg
172334 approaches Hereford on the 1550 Birmingham New Street-Hereford, 10th March 2021

20210310_172244.jpg
As I had failed to ID the 172, I marched down the hill via a different road to get the number. The above photo is 172334 at Hereford, waiting to return to Birmingham on the 1739 Hereford-Birmingham New Street.

I had lots of pumping tunes playing in my ears during this exercise session, so I was a bit distracted by that and replying to a colleague. The below photo is of a rather late running 150, 15027x, on the 1654 departure from Manchester to Hereford. 16 minutes late when I saw it, I do wonder if it actually made it to Manchester!

20210310_171102.jpg

VauxhallandI

Established Member
A nice 6.5 trip out from Orford to Butley Ferry and back. Including these oyster beds which are owned by Pinney’s of Orford

Attachments

• 4FCC2720-5F35-48C4-95ED-8F73C3858076.jpeg
    4FCC2720-5F35-48C4-95ED-8F73C3858076.jpeg
    797 KB · Views: 6
  • 0F18EDA3-9886-4CA1-A1F1-506BA553EB41.jpeg
    0F18EDA3-9886-4CA1-A1F1-506BA553EB41.jpeg
    974.6 KB · Views: 6

Kite159

Veteran Member
Completed the 2nd part of the Thames Path today (did Tilehurst to "Cow Lane bridleway" on Good Friday) with Henley-on-Thames to Caversham bridge (Reading) (so leaves a short gap in Reading).

Quite a nice little walk, busy around Henley, bit narrow on the footpath which goes away from the river in the Shiplake area (due to a couple historic ferries no longer running as the towpath swaps sides). I would imagine a few weeks ago some areas would have been very muddy

Weather permitting I might do Marlow - Henley next Sunday, if nothing else pops up in my head

(For the time being I'm only looking at Oxford - London, I know it continues beyond Oxford but that will take some thinking and involve buses)

scotrail158713

Established Member
I went for a nice walk recently from Haddington to Macmerry via Longniddry. There is an old railway path from Haddington to Longniddry that brings you out beside the ECML before finishing at Longniddry station.

503355BF-6312-4A5D-9C67-7CA9931033E5.jpeg

The section running parallel to the ECML approaching Longniddry from the south

4C1054E2-698D-4152-8745-D742A1A4D1B8.jpeg

Longniddry station in the uncharacteristically warm Scottish sun :)

Then it was up and over the bridge at the station to walk through Longniddry, carrying on out of Longniddry walking on the path at the side of the A198 before crossing the road to cross the ECML at Seton Mains.

At this point it is necessary to double back on yourself for a short stretch before turning off to the right to follow the path through a farm area at St Germains. This path takes you back up the hill crossing the A1 at one point before arriving in Macmerry.

A0849639-FA45-4D63-86C7-25EDA0AEDF88.jpeg

Crossing over the A1

High Dyke

Established Member
Having done a couple of short walks recently, I decided it was time to continue walking the London LOOP. Continuing from my last section I tackled Hamsey Green - Coulsdon.

loop 3.jpg
The war memorial at London Victoria station.

loop 2.jpg
Riddlesdown Viaduct. The footpath from the road up to the railway does advise "steep" on the fingerpost. They're not lying!

loop 1.jpg

A friend drops by for lunch.

Farthing Down.jpg

The view towards London from Farthing Down.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've done too many walks to count lately, and far more cycle adventures, but thanks to the honourable @Kite159 I did Nailsworth to Stonehouse along National Cycle Network Route 45 on Wednesday. I have lots of photos, I'll try to share a few this weekend (I have a lot to do so don't hold your breath). I'd do so now, but I have to head to bed soon to go back to work tomorrow at 3am. After 4 amazing days off, it's going to be grim...

10 days off next month, so more walks and many cycle adventures coming up...

Status
Not open for further replies.