• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your walks

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I recently read this concerning article:
Two-fifths of people say they are doing less exercise in this lockdown than during the first one in spring 2020, a large UK survey suggests.

"... this is ... a cause for concern, as exercise can boost not just physical, but also mental, wellbeing"

Researchers say the overall trends suggest the levels of satisfaction with life has deteriorated in recent weeks.
I feel it is really important to not spend too much time at home and to get out and about.

So I'd like to use this thread to encourage forum members to post photos from walks they have done.

Here are some from my walk around York last Friday:
1.jpg
Above: A TPE service towards Scarborough crosses the river Ouse, which was at a very high level. The flood defences in the background did their job to prevent homes being flooded. It is now possible to cross the Ouse on foot when the water level is high, which was not the case before the old narrow bridge was replaced a couple of years ago.

2.jpg
Above: My walk took me past Bootham Crescent, as York City were in the process of moving to the new ground.

3.jpg
Above: This boat was found on what is normally a field, part of the flood plain of the River Ouse. The actual river is in the background. The dog looked desperate to go for a walk!

4.jpg
Above: East Coast House, LNER's HQ, surrounded by floodwater.

5.jpg
Above: The view looking south along Skeldergate towards Queens Hotel and East Coast House

6.jpg
Above: Queens Hotel surrounded by floodwater.

And a couple of other pictures, not related to the above walk...

7.jpg
Above: I went for a run after 11pm one day last week; I would thoroughly recommend this as so few few people, or traffic, is around at that time. I only saw one dog walker and very few cars on the road. I ran for 3 miles. This helped me to relax, feel positive and temporarily forget about certain other things. Doing rigorous exercise releases endorphins which can have a very substantial effect. I felt healthier physically and mentally afterwards. The run was also relaxing because I didn't need to constantly try to avoid people on paths or worry about whether they would be worried if they came close to me. I do find it difficult to motivate myself to go out for a run, so my plan is to jog to work, and to jog/run back as often as possible in the next few weeks.

8.jpg
Above: On one of my walks I had to direct traffic to help this Eddie Stobart lorry get out of this tight spot. The driver had foolishly decided to take a very tight turn. I did consider reporting the incident but I felt the driver had learnt their lesson and he was thankful to me for helping him to reverse so I decided to keep quiet about it. It is a bit worrying that there are insufficient safeguards to avoid things like this happening, though.

I look forward to seeing photos from other members' walks in the coming days and weeks :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roversfan2001

Established Member
I've been getting out and about the local area over the past few weeks. I've not taken too many photos as of yet but I'll be able to take a few more as it gets darker later on.

1611918819401.png
Above: The Old Tram Bridge in Preston. Taken 14/01/2021. The bridge has been fenced off since February 2019 due to serious structural defects. Talks are ongoing between Preston City and Lancashire County Councils to either fix or replace the bridge.

1611919025312.png
Above: A view of the Preston 'skyline' at dusk, taken from the former East Lancashire Railway line on 12/01/2021.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I recently read this concerning article:

I feel it is really important to not spend too much time at home and to get out and about.

So I'd like to use this thread to encourage forum members to post photos from walks they have done.

Here are some from my walk around York last Friday:
View attachment 89424
Above: A TPE service towards Scarborough crosses the river Ouse, which was at a very high level. The flood defences in the background did their job to prevent homes being flooded. It is now possible to cross the Ouse on foot when the water level is high, which was not the case before the old narrow bridge was replaced a couple of years ago.

View attachment 89423
Above: My walk took me past Bootham Crescent, as York City were in the process of moving to the new ground.

View attachment 89422
Above: This boat was found on what is normally a field, part of the flood plain of the River Ouse. The actual river is in the background. The dog looked desperate to go for a walk!

View attachment 89421
Above: East Coast House, LNER's HQ, surrounded by floodwater.

View attachment 89420
Above: The view looking south along Skeldergate towards Queens Hotel and East Coast House

View attachment 89419
Above: Queens Hotel surrounded by floodwater.

And a couple of other pictures, not related to the above walk...

View attachment 89418
Above: I went for a run after 11pm one day last week; I would thoroughly recommend this as so few few people, or traffic, is around at that time. I only saw one dog walker and very few cars on the road. I ran for 3 miles. This helped me to relax, feel positive and temporarily forget about certain other things. Doing rigorous exercise releases endorphins which can have a very substantial effect. I felt healthier physically and mentally afterwards. The run was also relaxing because I didn't need to constantly try to avoid people on paths or worry about whether they would be worried if they came close to me. I do find it difficult to motivate myself to go out for a run, so my plan is to jog to work, and to jog/run back as often as possible in the next few weeks.

View attachment 89417
Above: On one of my walks I had to direct traffic to help this Eddie Stobart lorry get out of this tight spot. The driver had foolishly decided to take a very tight turn. I did consider reporting the incident but I felt the driver had learnt their lesson and he was thankful to me for helping him to reverse so I decided to keep quiet about it. It is a bit worrying that there are insufficient safeguards to avoid things like this happening, though.

I look forward to seeing photos from other members' walks in the coming days and weeks :)
Thanks for sharing the photos

York City centre certainly has had it's fair share of flooding over the years

DB

York City centre certainly has had it's fair share of flooding over the years

It's inevitable given the location - the flood defences are effective and there are few buildings which actually flood, and those which do know that it's likely to happen once or twice a year.

2015 was an exception asthe Foss flooded as well as the Ouse - that doesn't normally happen.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've actually been doing more walking since this lockdown started than in previous ones! Been getting out for around 45 minutes on weekdays and around an hour and half on Saturday/Sunday! Allegedly it's good for you or something :lol:

View from the hills near where I live of Teesside's remaining industry:

IMG_20201231_093806.jpg

Another view of the local area from the hills:

IMG_20210123_111553.jpg

We've also had our fair share of rain causing issues for anyone hoping to enjoy a picnic:

IMG_20210121_155553.jpg

Slightly different view of that industry:

IMG_20210123_111304.jpg

And a local landmark glanced in the distance:

IMG_20210123_112521.jpg

Walking around the estate I had a feeling like I was being watched or stalked and when I turned around:

IMG_20210122_160051.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_111553.jpg
    IMG_20210123_111553.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210123_111304.jpg
    IMG_20210123_111304.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 5

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's inevitable given the location - the flood defences are effective and there are few buildings which actually flood, and those which do know that it's likely to happen once or twice a year.

2015 was an exception asthe Foss flooded as well as the Ouse - that doesn't normally happen.
They are due to replace the Foss Barrier shortly (work may have already started)

@roversfan2001 those photos remind me of a forum walk along that very bridge a few years ago which I mentioned to you the other day

@ainsworth74 that sounds fantastic, and the photos look great. Again, it reminds me of the walk we did last Summer from Saltburn, and other walks in the area, I think one of them involved walking the disused line via Guisborough (or am I confusing that with a separate cycle ride I did from Nunthorpe to Saltburn with other forum members).

Please keep the replies coming :)

If any of you are unable to post photos, that's fine, you can simply describe the walks you did, though it's always great to see photos too. If people can add captions (as done on all the above posts) that is really helpful, as it means people unable to view the images can understand what you have posted (it also helps the reader to understand the image, and the context of it, too!)

VauxhallandI

Established Member
They are due to replace the Foss Barrier shortly (work may have already started)

@roversfan2001 those photos remind me of a forum walk along that very bridge a few years ago which I mentioned to you the other day

@ainsworth74 that sounds fantastic, and the photos look great. Again, it reminds me of the walk we did last Summer from Saltburn, and other walks in the area, I think one of them involved walking the disused line via Guisborough (or am I confusing that with a separate cycle ride I did from Nunthorpe to Saltburn with other forum members).

If any of you are unable to post photos, that's fine, you can simply describe the walks you did, though it's always great to see photos too. If people can add captions (as done on all the above posts) that is really helpful, as it means people unable to view the images can understand what you have posted (it also helps the reader to understand the image, and the context of it, too!)
I've stayed in the Queens a few times, mainly for training at a venue just behind the hotel, and up luckily from the hotel!

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Great thread, Yorkie. I'm still chuckling at the thought of you walking on water (see your first post).

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Lock 9 on the River Lea Navigation at Cheshunt

Attachments

• C9D8EFB4-E847-4A0F-A5AC-FAA2C25FE9C1.jpeg
    C9D8EFB4-E847-4A0F-A5AC-FAA2C25FE9C1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18

RichJF

I'm a keen hiker anyway, but I've used lockdowns/tiers to investigate some paths I've not used & explore new places and try some things with my relatively cheap Sony DSLR. For those who don't know East Grinstead is surrounded by amazing Weald and Ashdown Forest countryside, with lots of abandoned railway infrastructure and industrial workings as well as a historic watermill and iron industry back to Roman times.

IMG_20200809_142750239_HDR.jpg IMG_20200809_130319012_HDR.jpg

These two are from a walk I did from Hartfield to Crowborough & back up to Groombridge (using the Forest Way/Tunbridge Wells - Three Bridges line). Class 171 running an Oxted to Uckfield shuttle. This was during Tier 4.
----------------------

DSC00490.JPG DSC00468.JPG
Two from a walk from the old East Grinstead High Level station along the Worth Way to Fen Place Mill (an old Medway Upper Tributary watermill). Grinny has about 7-8 old watermills/gundpowder mills dotted throughout the nearby countryside. During the latest lockdown.
-----------------------

DSC00510.JPG DSC00502.JPG

A sunset walk out to the Gulledge Estate near East Grinstead - it dates from the 1540s. During lockdown.

Last edited:

S&CLER

Thanks for the view of Skeldergate, which interested me because I've just finished Wilkie Collins's novel No Name, part of which takes place in Skeldergate and in Rosemary Lane which is said to adjoin it (true or not, I don't know). He writes "Shops of the smaller and poorer order, intermixed here and there with dingy warehouses and joyless private residences of red brick, compose the present aspect of Skeldergate". This is said to be in September 1846, though the novel was published in 1862. The same chapter (Second Scene chapter I) also has a few lines of scathing description of the chaos at the old York station, the one within the walls.

DB

Thanks for the view of Skeldergate, which interested me because I've just finished Wilkie Collins's novel No Name, part of which takes place in Skeldergate and in Rosemary Lane which is said to adjoin it (true or not, I don't know). He writes "Shops of the smaller and poorer order, intermixed here and there with dingy warehouses and joyless private residences of red brick, compose the present aspect of Skeldergate". This is said to be in September 1846, though the novel was published in 1862. The same chapter (Second Scene chapter I) also has a few lines of scathing description of the chaos at the old York station, the one within the walls.

Skeldergate is mostly offices and flats these days.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Really enjoying this thread so far :D

I've done so, so, so many walks in the last year it's crazy. During Lockdown 3, I have to say I've been on my bike mostly though. Not far off 450 miles on it already, and I only got it on 5th January! A lot of that is daily training exercise, recommended by the physio to put some strength back into my legs, following May 2020's injury. Last Saturday I came off the bike when it slipped on something (suspected tiny bit of ice I just couldn't see), so after a day off the bike last Sunday I've been building the confidence up and riding every day. As well as resting obviously, but the daily rides have meant a speedy recovery and I'll soon be back to normal :D

That isn't to say I'm not going to do walks as well, indeed in February I'm going to try and do more of them. I'll also try to share photos, although I'll confess now some I share in this thread may come out of the 2020 archive! Indeed, I have poor weather forecast for the weekend but I also have various challenges on Strava that are ongoing, so I'll be getting some walking done too :D

For now though, here's one of my favourite photos from a walk in 2020. I've not attached photos before, so I hope it works. This is from the southside of the River Wye, looking north towards Hereford's cathedral

Attachments

• 20200527_172355.jpg
    20200527_172355.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12

lxfe_mxtterz

Really nice seeing pictures from and reading about the walks others have been on. :)

Admittedly, I haven't actually gone on any walks so far during the current lockdown, but I certainly went on quite a few during the first lockdown when the weather was a bit nicer!

I don't have much to say about the walks (mainly just aimlessly wandering and exploring the local area) but I took quite a few pictures. Enjoy!

2B883183-4EB7-49D7-8257-6D725EED4ECD.jpeg

0FC6AB3B-1055-45F4-BE8C-344AC0EAF2AB.jpeg

25AE2D78-5271-496C-803E-CB6D0A379A3B.jpeg

31C1967B-AFDB-401B-B687-C3424810B41F.jpeg

83B4A36D-412C-425E-AE39-1EA812B60F86.jpeg

7339C598-41CF-4194-B76F-2B301A5BF3BE.jpeg

Frogs?! o_O

route101

Established Member
Been out a few walks in he last week, I live in a new town so around me is 1990s housing. I would have to go further for anything of more interest. Been usually walking when its dark.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
@yorkie

Those pictures around the river in York take me back. We used to stay in a B&B just off Bootham before the Premier Inn came along. A friend of mine lives near the Millennium bridge upstream and the flooding does get dangerously close

Been trying to find an excuse to use him as a support bubble to travel but doesn't sit right with me. No way am I driving the distance!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I walked west from Reigate yesterday, unfortunately the ground conditions were very saturated which made some of the route rather difficult to cover. I crossed the North Downs Line a number of times between Reigate and Betchworth and, on the way, got to Buckland crossing at just the right time for a passing Turbo. A walk whilst it was getting dark rather than a more common walk after dark.

1612088679526.png
[Picture looking west at Dowdes foot crossing with warning sign for pedestrians - grey sky - taken from stile alongside chain link fence]

1612088726315.png
[Picture shows road approaching Automatic Half Barrier (AHB) level crossing barrier with safety camera and former crossing-keeper's cottage - grey sky]

1612088704155.png
[Photo shows AHB level crossing barrier at Buckland and approaching Turbo]

bearhugger

Fortunately there is plenty of green space very local to the part of Middlesbrough where i live. There is a wide long open space next to the Middlesborugh - Whitby line near James Cook station and there is a statue of Orme the viking where the local urban villages of Ormesby and North Ormesby get their name.
Orme_the_viking_1.jpg
Orme_the_viking_2.jpg

And walking the other way from my house is Stewart Park, where the explorer Captain James Cook was born in the old village of Marton.

Granite urn marking the area of the old village.
PXL_20201014_121335059.jpg

And some shots of the Captain Cook Birthplace Museum which is on the site of the burned down Marton Hall.
PXL_20201014_121712136.jpg
PXL_20201014_121755986.jpg
PXL_20201014_121828798.jpg
SP_Marton_Maoui.jpg
SP_Marton_Maoui_poster.jpg

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
'Don't you go thinkin' and thinkin' and thinkin'. .. go out in the daylight and go for a walk'
(Steve Forbert)

I like going out in the dark, after eating, straight to bed when I get home. Saves using heat and light, I often go by the railway, through the park, very few people about

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yesterday I headed towards Harewood Forest, a large forest area to the southeast of Andover, some of the paths were very muddy (and a couple had large puddles from all the recent rain), but thankfully once I hit the network of old concrete roads the worst of the mud gave way. Ended up doing a longer loop making use of a foot crossing of the A303 (which thankfully was quiet enough for a safe crossing). It got a bit drizzly near the end, but nothing major.

Photo from within Harewood Forest, Andover (20) by Kite, on Flickr

Today I headed across the border into Wiltshire to do a loop of a few paths from a small car parking area near an old railway bridge (Amesbury/Bulford Camp branch), to reach the villages of Allington & Boscombe. Parts were muddy, and I can't imagine one of the paths in Allington is used that frequently as it was a case of trying to spot the stile at the opposite end of the field. Started snowing nearer the end.

Snow near Newton Tony by Kite, on Flickr

More photos from walks taken in the current lockdown (including a week of tier 4 after Christmas): https://www.flickr.com/photos/157760463@N05/albums/72157717546379931/page1

Attachments

• Walk 30 Jan.jpg
    Walk 30 Jan.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Walk 31 Jan.jpg
    Walk 31 Jan.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 15

High Dyke

Established Member
The beauty for me is that within about five minutes of my house I can be on the hill above me and in open countryside. A regular short walk in the first lockdown was to go up the jitty across from me, through the neighbouring street, up the hill and then do a circuit of the field and return to the house. However, a couple of weeks ago I did an 8-mile route out into the countryside. (pictures attached).

More recently I've taken to finding different routes to walk into town shopping. Just this morning I took a circuitous 3-mile route to the town centre, which is about a mile away.

Happy Valley walk (route in blue). I live in the street area to the left of the map.

Happy Valley walk.jpg
Climbing up through the field (the wiggly line) affords me a decent view across Grantham.

Heading south along the road towards the A1 brings me to Little Ponton village and St Guthlac's church. Walking away from the village and you pass over the River Witham.
IMG_20201226_130123.jpg IMG_20201226_131256_1.jpg
The road then takes you up to the bridge carrying the East Coast Main line.
IMG_20201226_131718_2.jpg IMG_20201226_131823_1 (2).jpg
And now onto Happy Valley; a meandering but lightly used road that connects Little Ponton with the High Dyke.
IMG_20201226_132432_1.jpg
Crossing High Dyke at Woodnook and onto more fields and following a footpath that heads for the village of Old Somerby.
IMG_20201226_140025_1.jpg IMG_20201226_141139.jpg
Whilst, like many other places, the village post office has closed there remains an interesting relic. This seems to be a homemade post box. Others did exist around the UK. It was probably constructed by a local carpenter.
IMG_20201226_142816_2.jpg
The route home was by the path alongside the A52, down Somerby Hill and into Grantham.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Fantastic photos there, the Mankinholes area by the looks of it (Stoodley Pike etc)?

Thanks

Yes, mainly on Stoodley (I only live about a mile away as the crow flies), plus one in Hebden Bridge, one up at Bride Stones above Blackshaw Head, and one in Hardcastle Crags

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Yes, mainly on Stoodley (I only live about a mile away as the crow flies), plus one in Hebden Bridge, one up at Bride Stones above Blackshaw Head, and one in Hardcastle Crags
Nice, I headed up there in August (sadly without a decent camera), it's such a nice area

Attachments

• IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    511 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1158.JPG
    IMG_1158.JPG
    595.8 KB · Views: 11

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nice, I headed up there in August (sadly without a decent camera), it's such a nice area
Nice pics. Can you link to the location on OpenStreetMap by any chance? Maybe we can arrange a forum walk there this Spring.

Keep the photos and reports coming everyone! :)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Nice pics. Can you link to the location on OpenStreetMap by any chance? Maybe we can arrange a forum walk there this Spring.

Keep the photos and reports coming everyone! :)
Here's the route I took (from memory) plotted on OS and walking from Hebden Bridge to Todmorden. If done as a forum walk I'd suggest not choosing one of the hottest days of the year and forgetting to bring more than a litre of water :lol:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 16.12.39.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 16.12.39.png
    955.5 KB · Views: 24

DB

Here's the route I took (from memory) plotted on OS and walking from Hebden Bridge to Todmorden. If done as a forum walk I'd suggest not choosing one of the hottest days of the year and forgetting to bring more than a litre of water :lol:

Whichever way you go up out of the Calder valley, you are confronted with serious hills!

Status
Not open for further replies.