• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zeelo Newport to Bristol Commuter coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
This appeared on my Facebook as one of those sponsored ad's with a link to the Bristol Post:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/speci...p3X6MNxpU3h-a5oVLXU2ZLVoGkbU7xxCT3HbjkJuaBJo8

Commuting is not fun. Whether on crowded public transport or travelling at a snail’s pace in the midst of motorway traffic, it is often expensive, stressful and time-consuming. However, with the new commuter service operating between Newport and Bristol as an alternative, you’ll be able to travel with ease, and for less!

Zeelo, the shared transportation service, is launching a new and innovative commuter service between Newport and Bristol that will give commuters in the region a quicker and more cost-effective option between the two cities.

From May 7, 2019, commuters will be able to enjoy a more comfortable and premium service on Zeelo’s coaches that will shuttle them direct from south east Wales to the centre of Bristol.

Zeelo are offering readers 10 free rides to celebrate the launch of the service, which you can book here now, using the promo code ‘COMMUTE’.

And a link at the bottom of the write up to the Zeelo website

https://zeelo.co/about

Do they have their own fleet, or is it a bit like Sn-Ap where they use various operators? Only on their website I see there is a link to 'Operators' with the option of becoming a Zeelo partner if you provide them with details of your coach fleet.

I also had a quick look at the 'Browse Rides' section, seems they have some school routes and Gaydon commuter runs, never heard of this Zeelo operation before and will be interesting how well this Newport to Bristol route does when it starts.

James.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swifty

Established Member
I briefly saw this in Bristol earlier, it was operated by a Merc Tourismo. It had an all over blue vinyl wrap advertising Zelo.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
They have been running coaches to various events for a while now (think football matches etc) so looks like they are now starting to expand a bit!
In my experience of using them to travel to a few Cardiff City games, they just use whatever coaches they can, so like sn-ap.

Dr Day

Apologies for dragging up old thread, but anyone on here able to confirm whether the Zeelo Newport-Bristol service is still in operation as nothing obvious on the website. If not, any particular reason why it failed to catch on, other than simply being unable to compete cost effectively with the railway or driving in terms of frequency, hours of operation, journey time and reliability for a commuter type regular operation?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Apologies for dragging up old thread, but anyone on here able to confirm whether the Zeelo Newport-Bristol service is still in operation as nothing obvious on the website. If not, any particular reason why it failed to catch on, other than simply being unable to compete cost effectively with the railway or driving in terms of frequency, hours of operation, journey time and reliability for a commuter type regular operation?

It doesn't run any more. The coaches used were returned to the leasing company.

cnjb8

Established Member
It doesn't run any more. The coaches used were returned to the leasing company.
Not surprised. There is GWR and the Severn Express (Stagecoach) so no demand. Maybe if it was Cardiff to London ot would be a success

matt_splat

You will also be amazed the numbers that commute between Cardiff newport and Bristol using national Express multi rides

carlberry

Established Member
Not surprised. There is GWR and the Severn Express (Stagecoach) so no demand. Maybe if it was Cardiff to London ot would be a success
It was a commuter service which Severn Express isn't from Newport and a Cardiff to London commute on a coach isn't going to appeal to a lot of people.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I dont remember it ever being useful from Newport, the previous First timetable was only slightly better with a 0930 arrival and the same departure.

Fair point!

The village of Magor continues to benefit from a commuter-friendly service though.

AndrewE

Established Member
This might fit in with an article I read recently saying that the University of Bristol had expanded its student numbers so much that there wasn't enough library/study space, and that there was an arrangement whereby they could use the SS Great Britain's study rooms. It also said as a footnote that some students were being placed in accommodation as far away as Newport (presumably because they had overwhelmed the supply on the English side of the Bristol Channel!)

Status
Not open for further replies.