• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

zero fare excess

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzug2

A quick (but I suspect not very simple) question:

does a zero fare excess get issued by replacing the existing ticket or issuing a separate supplementary one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
A separate supplementary one. Apparently sometimes stapled to the original ticket, but not the only time I have ever obtained one (at Liverpool Lime St). It says EXCESS in the bottom right-hand corner where a normal ticket might say SINGLE, and it shows the original origin and the new over-distance destination. The fare is shown as £0.00.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
A quick (but I suspect not very simple) question:

does a zero fare excess get issued by replacing the existing ticket or issuing a separate supplementary one?

As above, but also depends on the exact mechanism employed. Sometimes if you excess the ticket, especially when at the same place where you bought the original ticket, they might do a refund on the original ticket and issue a new ticket, without the admin charge obviously.

RJ

Established Member
I used to clearly mark the original ticket as having been excessed, because some people cottoned on to the fraud possibilities using excess tickets.

north

I used to clearly mark the original ticket as having been excessed, because some people cottoned on to the fraud possibilities using excess tickets.

Can you excess more than once?

Say I have a ticket to Birmingham Stations. I excess to University (my origin is far enough away that it's a zero excess) but then later decide I actually want to go to Selly Oak. Can I zero excess again?

wintonian

Established Member
Yes in theory but finding someone who is either able/ willing to do it might be another thing.

island

Veteran Member
All the above assume you don't get a ticket clerk who can't/won't do it; apparently it shows up on some audit log.

RJ

Established Member
Any fare override shows up on the end of shift printout - any dodgy excesses will get a clerk pulled into the office. In general conversation I was led to believe that excessing an excess was bad practice, though I was never asked to do this so never needed to find out for sure. If I was asked, I'd look in The Manual to check or at least request permission from a supervisor who was willing to sign off that issue.

Can you excess more than once?

Say I have a ticket to Birmingham Stations. I excess to University (my origin is far enough away that it's a zero excess) but then later decide I actually want to go to Selly Oak. Can I zero excess again?

There was a "common sense" rule where I worked whereby if a customer made such a request, we'd stamp a bit of paper and permit travel in this circumstance. If this is a question to try and catch me out for marking tickets that had been excessed once, don't worry - it was done in such a way that wouldn't affect anyone with legitimate intentions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.