• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zimbabwe Army moves to successfully oust Mugabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
I think in regards to some of these black despots, some of them have left their countries worse off. In the case of Mugabe, he was bad, but beforehand it wasn't much better. Much like South Africa there was an apartheid government that was ruled by whites who weren't exactly the friendliest to their citizens. Mugabe on the other hand is bad in a different way. He's thrown out white supremacy in favour of tribal supremacy, even though the result is that Zimbabwe is now worse off than before.

Slight correction there, from my reading of the situation in Zimbabwe and many post-colonial African countries. It is not a racial issue as much as a tribal one - Presidents and rules have a loyalty to their tribe and the descendants of it, others - be they black, white or from anywhere else - will get the short shrift.

Problem is 'we' (Europeans) split Africa by geography and ruler, not considering the situation on the ground and how trying to merge different tribes into a single 'country' was never going to work. Obviously Rwanda was the worst example, but it can be seen in most sub-Saharan nations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Up_Tilt_390

Slight correction there, from my reading of the situation in Zimbabwe and many post-colonial African countries. It is not a racial issue as much as a tribal one - Presidents and rules have a loyalty to their tribe and the descendants of it, others - be they black, white or from anywhere else - will get the short shrift.

Problem is 'we' (Europeans) split Africa by geography and ruler, not considering the situation on the ground and how trying to merge different tribes into a single 'country' was never going to work. Obviously Rwanda was the worst example, but it can be seen in most sub-Saharan nations.

To be fair I did amend my original post to just a void message of removal, because I was finding many different reasoning and opinions and couldn't really decide what to write in the end. What you said seems to fit some of the things I've read though, such as the thing with tribes and the splitting into countries not working out for them. Regardless, you can just ignore the post you quoted, because admittedly I made a few mistakes about some things and I was changing it so much.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Would you feel that the "tribal" nature of matters also is seen in areas of the Middle East?

najaB

Veteran Member
Would you feel that the "tribal" nature of matters also is seen in areas of the Middle East?
As much as it's seen in Europe with, for example, many in the Catalan tribe not seeing themselves as part of Spain, the Bavarian tribe not seeing themselves as part of Germany or the Cornish tribe not seeing themselves as part of England.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I've worked in Zim, and with Zimbabweans. Tribe really isn't at the heart of what is going on, and tribe there is much, much less prevalent than in Kenya and Rwanda.

This is an internal power struggle within Zanu-PF

najaB

Veteran Member
Looks like it is the end for Mugabe after all...

Zimbabwe's ruling party sacks Robert Mugabe as leader
Zimbabwe's ruling party has sacked President Robert Mugabe as its leader, officials say.

Zanu-PF has appointed ex-vice-president Emmerson Mnangagwa, who had been fired by Mr Mugabe two weeks ago.

The first lady has been expelled from the party altogether.

Mr Mugabe is set to meet military leaders on Sunday and a motorcade has been seen leaving his private residence.

Tens of thousands of Zimbabweans had attended street protests on Saturday, demonstrating against the Mugabes.

Mr Mugabe is still the president of Zimbabwe, although the Zanu PF move increases the pressure on him that has been building for days.

Calthrop

Established Member
When I first heard of the news from Zimbabwe, my immediate thought was shown by the letters reversal of the name of the leader....

"E - BA - GUM"...:p

I gather that in recent years: Zimbabweans opposed to Mr. M.'s rule, took to referring to him, coded-ly, as "The Yorkshireman" -- by reason of the backwards-reading of his name as given by you.

southern442

Established Member
Mugabe is making a speech now. It's being shown live on the main updating BBC news page about it. He hasn't resigned yet so you're not too late if you wanted to be there when/if it happens!

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
That was an absolute shambles! At the end I think he either said he read the wrong speech or it was a long speech. Although it wouldn't surprise me if that was a second speech...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
He says he’s staying on. Saga continues.
He wants martyrdom - be careful what you wish for, Bob, look what happened to your old mucker Gaddafi. These people are so deluded and narcissistic they truly believe they are omnipotent. Could yet go the way of Rumania.

tspaul26

Established Member
Perhaps they will revert to a non-executive presidency á la Banana with Mugabe serving the remainder of his term in a 'father of the nation' capacity?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Perhaps they will revert to a non-executive presidency á la Banana with Mugabe serving the remainder of his term in a 'father of the nation' capacity?
That might well be the solution to any impasse that arises... considering his status as the leader of the independence movement, the way he conducted himself in office is very much in support of the old saying about how power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I do wonder what odds you'd get on a Bruce Grobelaar presidency? He'd certainly sort out the corruption! :lol:

najaB

Veteran Member
So, an unpopular President who won an election in suspect circumstances and who has been ruining his country into the ground while enriching himself, his family and cronies at the expense of the common people is being impeached - and it isn't Trump. <(

Steveman

Mugabe has resigned according to the speaker of the Zimbabwe parliament.

dgl

Established Member
In the end the act of impeachment was a step to far and he decided to go with "dignity".

He knew there was no way out in the end but possibly never thought that it would get as far as impeachment and that one or more party members would save him, but in the end it did and so he decided that if he was going to go it would be his decision rather than being removed as a criminal thus saving any small amount of dignity he had left however small it is.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Well people are celebrating in the streets, but it is going to take a lot of work to get the country back into shape and it doesn't look like ZPF are planning to hold elections any time soon, so presumably any replacement is going to have been someone who has supported Mugabe up until now.

tspaul26

Established Member
Well people are celebrating in the streets, but it is going to take a lot of work to get the country back into shape and it doesn't look like ZPF are planning to hold elections any time soon, so presumably any replacement is going to have been someone who has supported Mugabe up until now.

Zimbabwe's Constitution provides that ZANU-PF must nominate a successor to see out the remainder of the term within 90 days.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Do not forget the very long history of the Arab nations move into their Northern, Western and Eastern African areas where Islam has ruled for countless centuries.

Bromley boy

Established Member
In the end the act of impeachment was a step to far and he decided to go with "dignity".

He knew there was no way out in the end but possibly never thought that it would get as far as impeachment and that one or more party members would save him, but in the end it did and so he decided that if he was going to go it would be his decision rather than being removed as a criminal thus saving any small amount of dignity he had left however small it is.

Frankly if he'd ended up being dragged out and dealt with in the same fashion as Gaddafi that would still have been far less than he deserved. An abomination of a man - good riddance...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Did Mugabe resign, or was he resigned, as it were? A clever way out of the impasse, methinks, with no way back for the ogre.

Calthrop

Established Member
Childish humour, I know; but logging-on just now, in only-just-got-up-state of incomplete mental clarity, I thought I was reading, in most-recent-message-on thread summary: "Latest -- Zimbabwe taken over by Paul Sidorczuk". Well, I'm sure you'll do a better job than the last bloke... Please can you get the Zimbabwe Railways to restore regular steam working, in strength? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.