• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ZIP Card Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk688

Hi

Im in the final year now , of my Oyster ZipCard , and I had a quick query about them .

I believe all train fares are meant to be 70p , but recently many times on my journey home from school ( New Barnet - Finsbury Park - Euston - Hatch End ) , or ( High Barnet - Kentish Town - West Hampstead - Finchley Rd - Pinner ) , I have been charged £1.50

I am not complaining at this , as it is still stupidly cheap , but I just wanted to know why sometimes the fares are higher than usual

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can you upload a screenshot of your journey history for any of the journeys in question?

Hatch End to New Barnet is quite some commute, although it's still quicker by rail than by bus despite having to go all the way into central London.

CheapAndNerdy

The normal fare for that journey is 75p (11-15 zip). As £1.50 is twice that I wonder if you are being charged for 2 journeys. According to the TFL website, your journey covers 11 zones (6,5,4,3,2,1,2,3,4,5,6) and is allowed 170 minutes on weekdays. Are any of your journeys taking longer than that?

As Yorkie says, your journey history should provide a clue.

edit:

Another possibility is that you have taken too long when interchanging. For example, when changing at Euston from London Underground to National Rail, you have 40 minutes in which to touch out and then touch back in. If you exceed that then the journey will be considered complete and a new journey started.

Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi

Im in the final year now , of my Oyster ZipCard , and I had a quick query about them .

I believe all train fares are meant to be 70p , but recently many times on my journey home from school ( New Barnet - Finsbury Park - Euston - Hatch End ) , or ( High Barnet - Kentish Town - West Hampstead - Finchley Rd - Pinner ) , I have been charged £1.50

I am not complaining at this , as it is still stupidly cheap , but I just wanted to know why sometimes the fares are higher than usual

That's a nice easy one. All off-peak single fares are 75p with the off-peak cap set at £1.50. Your journey home starts between 1600-1900 and so is charged at the peak rate, but capped by the off-peak cap.

If this doesn't answer the query then please do copy your journey history.

sk688

Thanks all , this does mostly answer my question .

A quick final question though
Today at Finsbury Park , I changed from the Moorgate 313 at Platform 2 , to a 365 on another Platform . When I tapped in there , it said my balance was £2.25 , but when I tapped out at Kings Cross , my balance was £4.75 . Was I seeing things or was it a glitch and if so , why would that happen

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Was I seeing things or was it a glitch and if so , why would that happen

You weren't seeing things. It's a consequence of the weird arrangement of gates at Finsbury Park NR. The lower balance included the entry charge deduction which you don't normally see. The higher charge was your actual balance after the fare for the journey so far had been deducted.

Status
Not open for further replies.