• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zip Oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramitamimi

Hello

I had a 11-15 Zip Oyster card, valid till 30.09.13, and when I turned 16, I applied for a 16+ card.

However when I came to collect it, it was 11-15 card, and my old 11-15 card was blocked.

I was advised that I have to pay another £10 fee, for a new card in September.

So why a person who is 16 gets a 11-15 Photocard, and is there nothing which can be done about it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trivran

Was your old 11-15 of the yellow and blue design? TfL may have assumed you were wanting to replace that because they're being withdrawn at the end of July.

34D

Established Member
I would contact TfL, if you're lucky they may agree you can have the next one free.

The correct card for 16 year olds in school year 11 is the 11-15 one, though.

ramitamimi

No it was green ,and the new card is exactly the same

So is ZIP oyster given for 1 year only?!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I would contact TfL, if you're lucky they may agree you can have the next one free.

The correct card for 16 year olds in school year 11 is the 11-15 one, though.

+1 to this. The 11-15 card is extended until a month into year 12 studies because the 16+ card often needs verification from the school to enable bus discounts. Above 15 the zip and student cards are tied to academic years rather than birth years.

The big bonus is that depending on when your birthday is you can get up to 13 months additional child fares on all rail services in London (apart from those that don't accept Oyster of course).

ramitamimi

My birthday is in December,and I am going to year 13 in September if this helps...

So what will happen to the card after 30.09? Will it just stop working ,or will higher fares be deducted?

trivran

It's going to stop working. 'Specially so if the expiry date is still 30/9.

RJ

Established Member
My birthday is in December,and I am going to year 13 in September if this helps...

So what will happen to the card after 30.09? Will it just stop working ,or will higher fares be deducted?

Any remaining PAYG credit can be used up beyond that date, but no credit or products can be added. That said, I shouldn't think it woild be permitted to use the remaining credit as the card has an expiry date printed on it.

34D

Established Member

So you're currently aged 16 and in year 12? In that case, you've been issued the wrong product.

ramitamimi

On the application form (online) it does not ask anywhere ,which year are studying ,only DOB.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
You can't apply for a 16-18 Zip card with free bus travel online - you need to go to a Post Office and ask for a "16-18 Oyster card form", fill it in, take it to your school to be stamped, and then post it to the address given on the front

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You can't apply for a 16-18 Zip card with free bus travel online - you need to go to a Post Office and ask for a "16-18 Oyster card form", fill it in, take it to your school to be stamped, and then post it to the address given on the front

You can apply online, but you can't submit the application. You fill everything in and then it offers the option to print the form on your printer. You then get that signed/stamped by the school and take it to a post office. At least that's how it worked for my eldest last year.

ramitamimi

Is not it for Londoners only (if you want to get free bus travel)?! (I live outside London)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is not it for Londoners only (if you want to get free bus travel)?! (I live outside London)

Yes it is. Discounts on TfL rail services still apply, but buses is only for those living in London.

John @ home

Established Member
Is not it for Londoners only
It seems to me that:

ramitamimi

Thats what I received from them today...

Dear Mr

Thank you for your email to the Oyster Card Helpdesk.

I'm sorry your application for a 16+ Photocard was not succesful. You can only apply for a 16+ Photocard 1 month before the 11-15 Photocard you currently posses expires. Any application made before this date will be treated as a replacement application for the same card.

I hope this answers your enquiry.

Please contact us if you need any further help.

Kind regards

Winston Mars
Oyster Customer Services

NewForest

Any remaining PAYG credit can be used up beyond that date, but no credit or products can be added. That said, I shouldn't think it woild be permitted to use the remaining credit as the card has an expiry date printed on it.

I know this thread has been dormant for a few days, but I just wanted to digress slightly to share my experience regarding refunds of PAYG credit on expired Oyster Photocards (eg 11-15 and 16+) that was mentioned earlier. To me, it's a matter of principle to get all refunds due, rather than "donate" them to TFL - but this won't happen without action on your part.

You can't use the credit an expired Oyster Photocard - it won't work the barriers, so a refund is the only option. TFL are quite efficient at writing to about-to-expire Photocard holders to invite renewal or application for the next level up (eg 11-15 moving to 16+), collecting another £10 fee along the way, but they fail to mention that you are entitled to a refund of your unused PAYG credit. They could easily mention this in the letter but choose not to do so - probably a nice little earner for TFL?

The complication is that the card has expired. In this situation, the only way (that I'm aware of) to get a refund is to phone the Oyster Helpline. But they will only speak to the responsible adult who applied for the card (unless the holder is now over 18). From the reaction I got, it's not a common request and can require considerable persistence. I’ve done this two years running (16+ cards are only valid for 1 year) and it was hard work both years. At various stages I was told: (1) it wasn't possible as they couldn't access expired cards; (2) when they traced the expired card, they didn't know how to refund the credit (because refunds could only be made to the same card, which had expired - Duh!); (3) I was passed to the Oyster Photocard Applications office - but this is a totally separate, sub-contracted operation in Northampton that deals only with issuing new Photocards and has no power to access the live system nor to make refunds; (4) finally, they agreed it could (and should) be done, and I got my refunds both years. It really shouldn't be so difficult to recover own money!

Also (and this applies to all Oyster refunds), the Oyster Helpline will often tell you that they can only refund onto another Oystercard, which you must pick up at a nominated Tube station ticket gate within 8 days - tricky if you're not a regular Tube traveller. But in fact they can also refund to your online Oyster account (if you have one) or by BACS transfer to a bank account - but it's a matter of luck whether the Helpline operator will know this. On occasions, I've been told point blank that it wasn't possible, only to phone back and have it done without question.

34D

Established Member
Thats what I received from them today...

Dear Mr

Thank you for your email to the Oyster Card Helpdesk.

I'm sorry your application for a 16+ Photocard was not succesful. You can only apply for a 16+ Photocard 1 month before the 11-15 Photocard you currently posses expires. Any application made before this date will be treated as a replacement application for the same card.

I hope this answers your enquiry.

Please contact us if you need any further help.

Kind regards

Winston Mars
Oyster Customer Services

I am confused. Please can the OP confirm which school year they are in, and the month and year in which they were born.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I am in year 12 (AS level) ,and was born in December ,96 ,if that helps...

Something is strange here. Not necessarily wrong, but my eldest is in year 12 and just taken AS levels and he was born in Nov 95. It would appear that you are a year ahead of others at the same age.

If you write back to TfL explaining this, and possibly enclosing a letter from the school confirming the confusion, then I'd hope that TfL might refund your £10.

Status
Not open for further replies.