• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zonal Ticket - Clear definition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickswift99

So looking at the new NRCOT, a question I'm not clear on is what is formally a zonal ticket.

Clearly a Z1-6 Travelcard is a zonal ticket.

Is a <outboundary station> to Z1-6 travelcard also a zonal ticket?

If I hold such a ticket and want to travel from zone 1 to <distant station, on same route> is the additional ticket I need a BZ6 to <distant station> or a ticket from <outboundary station> to <distant station>?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The boundary zone fare would be fine.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
So looking at the new NRCOT, a question I'm not clear on is what is formally a zonal ticket.

Clearly a Z1-6 Travelcard is a zonal ticket.

Is a <outboundary station> to Z1-6 travelcard also a zonal ticket?

If I hold such a ticket and want to travel from zone 1 to <distant station, on same route> is the additional ticket I need a BZ6 to <distant station> or a ticket from <outboundary station> to <distant station>?

The National Rail Conditions of Travel define a Zonal Ticket as follows:

“Zonal Tickets” are those Tickets which permit travel only within a defined geographic area.

If I have understood your question correctly (feel free to correct me), an example might be holding a Luton Out-boundary Travelcard and wanting to travel on to Bedford later.

It's a curious question. A Travelcard is undoubtedly a Zonal Ticket, however, an out-boundary Travelcard only gives a single or return journey to enable you to get to or from the Travelcard area, and then travel within the zonal area.

At this point I would have to say that if you wished to join a train that did not stop at the origin station (Luton in my example) you would need a ticket from the last station the train stopped at before that station, or a 'boundary zone 6' ticket.

If you wished to go back to London afterwards and then travel back out to your origin station, you would need the 'Boundary Zone 6' return ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.