• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zone 1 Underground station to Gatwick Airport fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
According to the TfL fare finder, a single fare from London Victoria to Gatwick Airport on a Gatwick Express service is a (rather absurd) £20, peak or off-peak.

However, for any journey from a Zone 1 Underground station, the fares are £16 peak and £10 off-peak, with no mention of Gatwick Express restrictions.

This being the case, does an off-peak journey to Gatwick Airport involving Gatwick Express cost "half price" if started from, say, Oxford Circus, instead of Victoria NR?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
The £16.20 and £10.20 fares do not include Gatwick Express. If you use the TfL single fare finder for Oxford Circus to Gatwick Airport, at the bottom of the screen it says this:

Fares shown do not include travel on Gatwick Express or Southeastern high speed services unless stated.

And nothing on the screen says that the fares stated do include Gatwick Express.

All Line Rover

Established Member
The top of the page says: "Find out the cost of a journey between any two stations on Tube, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and National Rail services where pay as you go (contactless or Oyster) is accepted."

As Gatwick Express falls within that description it is rather misleading not to display a separate fare if a separate fare applies.

Having overheard conversations of airport travellers waiting at Victoria station it is clear that most don't know which fares apply, or which fares to buy (especially if they already hold a Travelcard).

PeterC

Established Member
It seems odd not to have a Gatwick Express fare from zone 1. Is there no OSI to the Gatex platforms?

Having checked the Single Fare Finder for myself it takes a lot of scrolling to find the restriction. To a layman, the Gatwick Express is the logical direct route so why scroll down to the alternative fares? I have to agree that in this exceptional case the fare finder is misleading..

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It seems odd not to have a Gatwick Express fare from zone 1. Is there no OSI to the Gatex platforms?

Having checked the Single Fare Finder for myself it takes a lot of scrolling to find the restriction. To a layman, the Gatwick Express is the logical direct route so why scroll down to the alternative fares? I have to agree that in this exceptional case the fare finder is misleading..

No, there is not. Both the Gatwick Express and the HS1 fares are stand-alone fares which are never combined with any other travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.