• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zone U12* Londn tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

calc7

Established Member
I cannot find the information anywhere online after thorough searching of NRE

If I am travelling with a ticket, say, off-peak return from Zone U12* Londn to Milton Keynes C, rte Virgin Only, the first train out of Euston it is valid on is the 0943, fine. But what is the validity of the tube portion? I had always assumed it was an invariant of the tube peak, as I fail to see how somebody could get from most Zone 2 stations to Euston in time to get the 0943. I ran into trouble at the Euston barriers this morning trying to exit before 0930.

Clarity would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I don't believe there is a restriction on them, I can't say I have seen anything specific about it.

calc7

Established Member
I don't believe there is a restriction on them, I can't say I have seen anything specific about it.

Me neither, hence I was suprised to be told by the gateline assistant and subsequently the Virgin Train guard that I was wrong. No such restrictions are given in the online sales stage!

Similarly, what about if I return to London in the afternoon on this ticket (no peak in this direction) and want to take the tube journey between 4 and 7?!

noblergt

I think evening peak time zonal fares only apply to oyster PAYG, never paper tickets.

calc7

Established Member
I think evening peak time zonal fares only apply to oyster PAYG, never paper tickets.

Ah ok.
Well I tried using the return portion at around 18.45 in the Euston gates. Got error code 13 (additional fare payable?!) but the assistant waved me through.

I had checked with a guy in the booking office at Euston. He said the tube connection is fine at any time, the "off-peak rtn" refers to the Virgin train. He agreed that if I get any further hassle I should write to Virgin to obtain a letter confirming this. My guess is the magnetic strip is encoded incorrectly on this particular ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.