• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zugspitze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Train jaune

Took the rack and pinion railway up the Zugspitz in the Bavarian alps last week. It really is a steep climb, the first part with fantastic views of the mountains and forests followed by 20 minutes in a tunnel climbing to the top. When you got there to stepped out into a snowy mountain wonderland with awesome mountain views and the chance to get out and about in the snow. I'd recommend this trip to anyone if you're staying in Munich, don't even need to forsake the beer as there's a bar at the top too and reasonable priced considering they've a captive audience.

http://zugspitze.de/en/summer/mountain

Attachments

• DSCN0176.jpg
    DSCN0176.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 42
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestRiding

Did it last year in September from Munich and really enjoyed. I was a bit annoyed at how early the last train down was though, about 4pm.

coppercapped

Established Member
Did it last year in September from Munich and really enjoyed. I was a bit annoyed at how early the last train down was though, about 4pm.

IIRC the cable car runs a bit later. Generally, though, mountain railways close early - people should be off the mountains by nightfall unless they are staying in one of the Hütten or other accommodation. Chancing it across a snowfield at twilight can be very dangerous as one can no longer see the contours.

Ianigsy

This is a distinct possibility for my trip to Bavaria in July - it's either the Zugspitze or Neuschwanstein- so it's interesting to get another input.

I guess that it may work on the same basis as Snowdon- after the public services have finished, the railway operates a couple of empty trains to the summit to bring staff and rubbish back down again.

TheEscapist_

Just done this a few weeks ago and loved it! Got the train to Eibsee(?) and then the cable car from there to the top. The train wasn't going any further when i was there. The train is interesting and the views from the cable car are breathtaking! Tight fit in there and a bit shaky when it passes the pylons but fun! Expensive but worth every penny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bradford758

a926732b6c37cc206295e524239d8034.jpg

Was in Garmisch one December, a few years ago. Due to bad weather the day before, the Elbsee cable car and trails were closed but thankfully the train was running.
The level portion at "ground level" is part of the local transport system, with normal fares. There is a premium to travel upwards, but it's certainly worth it.

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.