• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

8A Rail

Established Member
Not aware of 319365 unless it has arrived very recently. The two training units are 319366 and 319379(?) - neither of them are able to operate on the Passenger trains as not refurbished in any way what so ever, hence training units at Preston and Stockport.

I thought 319364 was fitted out when it arrived but I've read elsewhere that it has not been so internally - awaiting seats etc. I'm sure someone will confirm shortly.

Update now on Northern Class 319's - currently there are 8 units in the area.

As far as I am aware these are the current status of "Northern" Livery units.
319361 - awaiting some internal fittings but being used on "Driver Training"
319362 - apparently now awaiting further repairs??
319363 - In traffic
319364 - complete
319365 - complete
319380 - awaiting some internal fittings.

319366 - Thameslink livery - Driver Training (Preston)
319379 - Thameslink livery - Driver Training (Stockport)

In the meantime, I have added 12 new images to my Picasa Image site (L&M Section) showing further progress as well as completion of two/three locations, click this link and refer to the last 12 images of the 136 on the section - http://picasaweb.google.com/104517932653927762904/LMElectrificationWorkMerseyside201415 Constructive comments welcome.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LDECRexile

Established Member
Update now on Northern Class 319's - currently there are 8 units in the area.

As far as I am aware these are the current status of "Northern" Livery units.
319361 - awaiting some internal fittings but being used on "Driver Training"
319362 - apparently now awaiting further repairs??
319363 - In traffic
319364 - complete
319365 - complete
319380 - awaiting some internal fittings.

319366 - Thameslink livery - Driver Training (Preston)
319379 - Thameslink livery - Driver Training (Stockport)

In the meantime, I have added 12 new images to my Picasa Image site (L&M Section) showing further progress as well as completion of two/three locations, click this link and refer to the last 12 images of the 136 on the section - http://picasaweb.google.com/104517932653927762904/LMElectrificationWorkMerseyside201415 Constructive comments welcome.

Classy shots as always. How do you get the sun to shine on you all the time, are you righteous?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I visited Bamfurlong Sidings Junction today to see if the last 100 yards of the Ince Moss Chord had been wired.

It has.

Apart from some autotransformer wires, I reckon all Phase 2 knitting is up west of Salford Central. Does anyone think otherwise?

Have added three shots to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/16589181277/in/album-72157648494725811/

Dave

8A Rail

Established Member
Classy shots as always. How do you get the sun to shine on you all the time, are you righteous? ................... Dave
No is the simple answer. With the odd exception, I only go out when I have a chance of the sun shining in the first place otherwise wasting my spare time either side of my work hours. So no chance of the sun like today, I do other things instead.

Dixie

It's interesting to see in photo 3234s that where the branch line merges with the WCML goods lines an new upright has been added almost adjacent to an existing upright for a headspan pair, rather than attach a further set of registration arms to the headspan itself for the new wiring. Would be interesting to know why that course of action was taken?

driver_m

Established Member
Weekly Notices and posters now state that huyton-st helens-springs branch/ince moss will all be considered live from this Sunday.

DJH1971

Established Member
Classy shots as always. How do you get the sun to shine on you all the time, are you righteous?
I visited Bamfurlong Sidings Junction today to see if the last 100 yards of the Ince Moss Chord had been wired.

It has.

Apart from some autotransformer wires, I reckon all Phase 2 knitting is up west of Salford Central. Does anyone think otherwise?

Have added three shots to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/16589181277/in/album-72157648494725811/

Dave

I wish to add that 319365 is now in traffic.

EastMidlander

Weekly Notices and posters now state that huyton-st helens-springs branch/ince moss will all be considered live from this Sunday.

RealtimeTrains shows STP paths next Monday and Tuesday nights covering all these lines - a visit from Mentor I would guess.

snowball

Established Member
Quite a bit of back-and-forthing: Derby - Crewe - Bamfurlong - St Helens - Olive Mount - St Helens - Wigan NW - St Helens - Olive Mount - St Helens - Wigan NW - Crewe.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Welcome, and what a debut!

You call yourself EastMidlander, are you from those parts?

Highlights of the runs below for those of us who struggle with realtimetrains on the move.

All tantalisingly close to dusk or after dark.

Any errors are mine.

Attachments

• MENTORmarch2015.xlsx
    11.3 KB · Views: 75

EastMidlander

Welcome, and what a debut!

You call yourself EastMidlander, are you from those parts?

Highlights of the runs below for those of us who struggle with realtimetrains on the move.

All tantalisingly close to dusk or after dark.

Any errors are mine.

Thanks for the welcome. I caught the railway bug growing up on the Leicester to Peterborough line in the 70's, but i've been exiled in Wigan for the last 25 years!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Had a mooch round Victoria today after an absence of a couple of months.
It may well have been noted elsewhere, but the station platforms look ripe for wiring.
In fact there's a length of return wiring already in place over the P5/6 route, eastwards almost up to the main passenger footbridge.

At the east end of the station, the terminal masts have auto-tensioners ready for the final length of wiring.
The final mast for the P5 wires appeared to be missing, until I realised the offending mast was installed east of the Cheetham Hill Road bridge.
There are 3-ish other plate-style empty mast bases installed east of the bridge, it's not clear if they have a role in the Phase 2 project.

The station itself is beginning to emerge from its chrysalis, with most of the new concourse now visible if not useable.
There are still a couple of missing panels in the roof, so the concourse is not yet waterproof.
The new barrier line even has its own weather protection.
Most of the ugly scaffolding/barriers are still in place, constricting P1-3.
No doubt a lot of progress will be made in the April blockade.

Two platforms of the tram stop are in operation, but the northbound PIS was not working.
It took a while to work out what "dbl10" meant on the southbound PIS.
Double tram in 10 minutes I suppose. Not very obvious, especially to tourists.

snowball

Established Member
I wonder why Huyton-Wigan is getting two nights' attention when Liverpool-Earlestown managed with one.

Maybe they were more desperate to get Liverpool_Manchester in service.

They had test electric runs the same night as Mentor. Any chance of that this time?

EastMidlander

I wonder why Huyton-Wigan is getting two nights' attention when Liverpool-Earlestown managed with one.

Maybe they were more desperate to get Liverpool_Manchester in service.

They had test electric runs the same night as Mentor. Any chance of that this time?

I wondered that too but couldn't see anything on RTT. You're probably right about there being less urgency. I'm going to view this at Bryn on the 1st run, then again later at Wigan NW.

nw-sparks

Tonight's test train is indeed an electrification test coach with 37s top and tail. Observed passing Huyton in the down direction, pantograph up.

It seems to have gone down to Edge Hill to reverse, not Olive Mount as booked.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Just noticed that link is for tomorrow nights working.
Tonights is http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U03681/2015/03/16/advanced
currently between Uttoxeter and Stoke.

Tonight's test train is indeed an electrification test coach with 37s top and tail. Observed passing Huyton in the down direction, pantograph up.

It seems to have gone down to Edge Hill to reverse, not Olive Mount as booked.

I've just seen this arrive at Wigan North Western Platform 6, 13 early. Formed of 97301 and 97303 top and tailing a mark 1 with pantograph and a mark 2 vehicle.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Paul and I went to Salford Crescent, Man Vic and Man Picc today.

Couldn't see much change at Salford Cres, though there is change in the non-railway hinterland, with building work a-plenty.

We noticed 'new' mast bases on the west side of the tracks south of the bridges at the station's southern end. I say 'new' because we simply didn't see them last time which might because they weren't there or because we missed them.

Couldn't see any new bases between Salford Crescent and Salford Central, but the bridgework was striking.

No changes evident Salford Central to Deal St Jn, inclusive.

At Man Vic new hanging arms from which to hang wires in place more or less opposite the platform entrance. Several gaps still in the lightweight wire holders attached to the latticework between Platforms 3 & 4.

Gateline in use on a trial basis, ie people all directed through it, but it wasn't stopping anyone or asking for tickets. Customer acclimatisation we reckon.

Huge transfer deck to the Arena (?) now obvious and seemingly in use, but not by many people, presumably because there was nowt on there mid afternoon on a March Monday.

More 'slab' bases are in place east of the road bridge off the eastern end of the platforms.

Proper danglies in place at the eastern ends of the platforms.

Biggest and most striking change is to the western end footbridge, which my head tells me is for the better, but my heart sank a bit - the parapet is being raised by a good foot, maybe nearer 2. When completed this will end the view except for giants on tiptoes and people with ladders, periscopes or drones. It will, of course, reduce the risk of death or injury.

When complete the infamous spot where Graham and Paul have leaned out towards a wire will be well and truly fettled.

319s and 350/4s at Picc a fine sight.

Photos now added to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Last edited:

AdamHewitt

It took a while to work out what "dbl10" meant on the southbound PIS.
Double tram in 10 minutes I suppose. Not very obvious, especially to tourists.

I happened to be interviewing some Metrolink and TfGM guys at the NOC the day this 'dbl' change came in, in private there were mixed views on it!

As a regular user, it’s useful information, obviously – lets you know where to stand. The displays I see have gaps, so will say 'Piccadilly dbl 5 mins'

I agree that without gaps or 'mins', it could be confusing.

You think they should have presented it with pictograms of single or double trams instead, maybe?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
They do that, at Amsterdam Zuid at least, on the PIS for the Amsterdam Metro. Little carriage icons (I didn't take a picture for some reason, probably due to it being peak time thus busy platform) show how many carriages the next train has. Very useful as it makes positioning on the platform easier.

Rather off-topic I know, but it can be done and would be easier for use on the Metrolink PIS. Mind you, if we can't have any PIS on the Bury-Altrincham line anyway I suspect copying Amsterdam's PIS might be a bit too much!

As for the progress at Victoria/Salford, good to hear it's coming on well. Going to be mighty weird for a while having less DMUs there when the change arrives!

LDECRexile

Established Member

PDG1949

Paul Gaskell has sent some shots taken at Manchester Victoria and Piccadilly on our joint jaunt yesterday. I have woven them into series 3516 and 3520 photos.

He has also come up trumps with some smashing shots of MENTOR going though St Helens Central.

Many thanks, Dave. So has local St. Helens (and area) photo/videographer 'Robbob', who did a video of some of the MENTOR runs through St Helens Central on Monday and has been kind enough to allow us to link

http://www.sthelens-connect.net/for...15/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

(if you look carefully on the first (lighter) run on the Monday, you may just spot yours truly [pdg1949] in the middle of Platform 1 near the footbridge, wearing his tea cosy !)
Paul Gaskell has sent some shots taken at Manchester Victoria and Piccadilly on our joint jaunt yesterday. I have woven them into series 3516 and 3520 photos.

He has also come up trumps with some smashing shots of MENTOR going though St Helens Central.

Many thanks, Dave. So has local St. Helens (and area) photo/videographer 'Robbob', who did a video of some of the MENTOR runs through St Helens Central on Monday and has been kind enough to allow us to link

http://www.sthelens-connect.net/for...15/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

(if you look carefully on the first (lighter) run on the Monday, you may just spot yours truly [pdg1949] in the middle of Platform 1 near the footbridge, wearing his tea cosy !)
Another video from St Helens photographer 'Robbob' of a later evening MENTOR pass at St Helens Central on Tues Mar 17th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iE_vcFQdtZ0

Cheers

pdg1949

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Last edited:

nw-sparks

Presumably the top link must have a return path to Allerton perhaps yet not entered as I doubt the unit 'dies' at Wigan North Western.

I noticed one of the test trains a couple of weeks ago was one way only in the schedule, I guess they use ad-hoc intstructions from control for the other leg.

Anyway, no sign of any movement yet, 25 minutes after it was due to start, so Maybe it's off for tonight. I'm off to bed, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.