• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hstmatt

Hi i was just wondering why was 82119 scrapped it says on wikipidia that it was scraped in 2005 but i have saw a pic of it in one livery .why was it scrapped thanks. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First post - hi to all!

Captainbigun's understanding, is my understanding too.

The rolling stock leasing companies were once being saddled with increasing numbers of MkIII vehicles, coming off lease from Virgin West Coast and Cross Country.

Thus came the 'make a point exercises' and the disposals of 82119 and a MkIII TSO (I think it was 12040).

82119 was dispensed with to try and nudge other potential users of redundant MkIII DVT's to come out if the woodwork, though I dont think 82119's disposal was done publicly. I have an inkling that it was sent to C.F Booths, for final demolition.

The tearing up of the MkIII coach was done in the full gaze of the railway media, using a JCB!
I seem to remember reading in RAIL Magazine that they and other railway journalists were invited to Long Marston, by the leasing company owner, to watch its demolition, with a mechanical grab.
I have a feeling that this particular vehicle had been subjected to a non-standard conversion by VWC, possibly as their prototype businesspersons coach, and equipped with fax machine facilities and other such office technology.
Being non-standard, enabled the leasing company to justify making a publicity spectacle of its disposal, rather than disposing of a leasable vehicle.

The intention seemed to be to shock potential users into realising that these vehicles wouldnt be lying around forever, with the leasing companies paying storage fees at MOD bases.
A 'use em or lose em' kind of thing.

Sorry to be vague with the details, but hope the above helps.
Hopefully someone will be able to confirm the above, or add corrections.
Paul

p.s yep - 82119 was disposed of in ONE Railway livery.
It was the DVT used to lauch the brand and carried the earlier deeper metallic blue version of the ONE livery, in 2004.

I was a bit surprised when I read of that vehicles passing.
Perhaps it was mechanically tired, which made it an easy DVT to dispose of.

p.p.s 'the junction' website is showing MkIII 12040 as in service with NXEA in ONE livery, so it wasn't 12040 involved. Really irritated that I cant remember that vehicles identity. grrrrr
One other thing I vaguely remember is that the vehicle involved had been painted in a derivitive of Virgin livery, with blue replacing the red for its role as the fax coach. Hope this helps jog some people memories.

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
p.p.s 'the junction' website is showing MkIII 12040 as in service with NXEA in ONE livery, so it wasn't 12040 involved. Really irritated that I cant remember that vehicles identity. grrrrr
One other thing I vaguely remember is that the vehicle involved had been painted in a derivitive of Virgin livery, with blue replacing the red for its role as the fax coach. Hope this helps jog some people memories.

The coach concerned was 12140 - it was non standard in that it had T4 bogies (which it had had since the 1980s if I remember rightly). The fax coach was an FO I think.

captainbigun

I'm pretty sure 82119 was disposed of at Caerwent where Porterbrook had sent the four 87s, sent to their maker for similar reasons as the DVT.

Captainbigun is correct that 82119 was cut up at Caerwent. This vehicle was off-leased due to extremely high mileage and well worn bogies, and a number of major components were removed before it was stored at Caerwent. Further recoveries of key components, together with the mechanical status rendered it very costly to recover, and as there was a large surplus of much better DVTs, it was the best vehicle to dispense with. The ONE livery was only a vinyl coat over a well worn Virgin livery, and the vinyls had trapped water making the body condition worse than any other DVT.

As previously stated, TSO 12140 was also broken at Caerwent to make a point that you cannot store vehicles indefinitely, and the longer vehicles are stored, the more costly it is to return them to a serviceable condition. In addition, four class 87s were dismatled around the same period 87005; 87015; 87016 and 87024 - condition and spares recovery being the major factor here too (although with hindsight, 87024 possibly should not have been broken up at that time, as it was in better condition than some of the ones later offered for sale).

captainbigun

The decision to cut the four 87s was ultimately regretted. As for the spares removed, they sat under tarps (in the loosest sense) and were somewhat crispy by the time they were removed for site. The good transformers were re-used. 87016 was cut first, a good year before the others. It came straight out of traffic, stopped needing level 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.