• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£10,000 fines for organisers of prohibited gatherings quietly shelved

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
The National Police Chiefs Council last week instructed police forces of England and Wales to cease issuing £10,000 fixed penalty notices to organisers of large gatherings. The prohibited gatherings of over 30 people, including indoor raves, gatherings at private dwellings, and certain outdoor events, had carried the largest value of fixed penalty notice in UK legal history since late August.

The NPCC stated that only one of 66 £10,000 FPNs issued to date had been paid. The reason for the change was so that the cases could be dealt with by courts instead which would set a fine more in line with the offender’s income. Forces are now instructed to temporarily deal with these cases by way of summons instead of FPN.

This is unlikely to solve any problems. The police do not have the power to prosecute breaches of the Covid19 regulations; the regulations state prosecutions are to be brought by the CPS of councils.

(see also: The Times, 18/11/20, page 11 print edition, unable to find online)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I believe I read last night that they are now back as of yesterday?

Police forces can resume handing out £10,000 fines for breaches of coronavirus regulations, the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) has said following discussions with the government.

It comes after an emergency order was made to stop officers handing out the fines to Covid rule-breakers, amid concerns the government’s flagship deterrent is unfair.

Officials are scrambling to stop the crackdown on large gatherings in England and Wales, which was announced by the prime minister this summer, from imploding after serious problems emerged.

Last edited by a moderator:

island

Veteran Member
Well, that just goes to show that the rules are changing so fast nobody can keep up :D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does anyone know how they have been made fair? Or if perhaps they haven't but they found a loophole...

bramling

Veteran Member
That is a horrible way for the country of my birth to be heading. It distresses me greatly.

It’s disgusting. Whilst I do think people organising raves and such are taking the proverbial, £10k fixed penalties are absolutely not the way we should be going. It’s pretty concerning that something like that can be handed out by a police officer on the spot.

Especially when we haven’t seen politicians set much of an example - even recently with the latest Boris Covid scare.

Trackman

Established Member
£10k might as well be £100k to a lot of people.
I thought if you accepted the FPN it didn't go court unless you pay it.
Thing is those who have refused a covid FPN in the past have received a bigger fine in court.
All a bit barmy to me.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
It’s disgusting. Whilst I do think people organising raves and such are taking the proverbial, £10k fixed penalties are absolutely not the way we should be going. It’s pretty concerning that something like that can be handed out by a police officer on the spot.

Especially when we haven’t seen politicians set much of an example - even recently with the latest Boris Covid scare.

The Police are just getting frustrated that they don't get to engage in their usual passtime of smashing in the heads of football supporters.
Hence this and the heavy handed anti lockdown protest "policing"

Status
Not open for further replies.