• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£2 bus fare cap, 10 months on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edvid

Established Member
So here's how the scheme has been structured since its introduction:

* Set at £2 for 1 January 2023 - 31 March
* Extended to 30 June
* Extended to 30 November 2024, increase to £2.50 on 1 November 2023
* Increase cancelled, extended to 31 December 2024

Among those to join the scheme today are Sullivan Buses (84 only) and Grant Palmer - for two months. at least. Now that it's here to stay for at least another 14 months, MDs of small/medium-size operators have once more had their say on it:

This month’s HS2 announcement means more money for BFCG, but some operators are feeling forced into the scheme​

The extension of the £2 capped bus fare in England, announced by the government this month, has been welcomed but concerns remain, particularly around the level of reimbursement.

The price of single fares on in-scope routes run by operators signed up to the Bus Fare Cap Grant (BFCG) scheme was due to rise to £2.50 on 1 November. However, as part of a package of measures for bus announced on 4 October from savings made via the government’s partial scrapping of HS2, up to £260 million is being made available to ensure the cap remains stable until the end of December 2024.

The Department for Transport (DfT) lists 178 operators participating in BFCG, which began in January and has been extended twice. However, some, particularly smaller, operators have expressed unease over the level of the lump-sum reimbursements.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It seems odd that they're using HS2 money saved to fund it, given that's money from Phase 2 of HS2 that would have been borrowed in the 2030s. Almost as if the two are unconnected.

Whilst the savings are welcome, it does mean a lot more people are paying for individual tickets on routes that were previously largely people using phones or at the very least day or longer season tickets. Several of the routes I use have significantly slower boarding, now.

TUC

Established Member
The policy has damaged overall bus service provision. Marginal services on evenings have become unprofitable and been withdrawn. A poorly thought through policy,

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The policy has damaged overall bus service provision. Marginal services on evenings have become unprofitable and been withdrawn. A poorly thought through policy,

Why have they become unprofitable if they weren't before? Are you saying the payments through this are lower than they should be? My local bus company seems to have had more passengers.

johncrossley

Established Member
It seems odd that they're using HS2 money saved to fund it, given that's money from Phase 2 of HS2 that would have been borrowed in the 2030s. Almost as if the two are unconnected.

Whilst the savings are welcome, it does mean a lot more people are paying for individual tickets on routes that were previously largely people using phones or at the very least day or longer season tickets. Several of the routes I use have significantly slower boarding, now.

There is no need for long boarding times in 2023. Single fares can be bought using apps or tap and cap. Maybe operators still not providing adequate alternative to driver payment for single fares should be excluded from the scheme. Even the TfGM Bee Network still insists on driver payment for single fares! (Yes, I know they have their own separate £2 scheme).

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There is no need for long boarding times in 2023. Single fares can be bought using apps or tap and cap. Maybe operators still not providing adequate alternative to driver payment for single fares should be excluded from the scheme. Even the TfGM Bee Network still insists on driver payment for single fares! (Yes, I know they have their own separate £2 scheme).
My local company used to have a lot of people using on-app tickets, providing incentives to do so. But now, for those just doing 1 or 2 trips a day, there's no saving, so people just pay as they get on.

johncrossley

Established Member
My local company used to have a lot of people using on-app tickets, providing incentives to do so. But now, for those just doing 1 or 2 trips a day, there's no saving, so people just pay as they get on.

Maybe driver payment should be excluded from the scheme altogether.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

So I need a new app every time I travel in a different area? Not keen on that one, either. It's just a shame it's sabotaged many companies efforts to take ticketing off bus.

johncrossley

Established Member
So I need a new app every time I travel in a different area? Not keen on that one, either. It's just a shame it's sabotaged many companies efforts to take ticketing off bus.

I would expect tap and cap to be the primary way of paying for the £2 fare. It is hardly cutting edge technology, given that TfL have accepted contactless for about 10 years now. I just mentioned apps to give an additional option and because operators already provide apps in most cases if they don't do tap and cap. TfL don't even accept apps yet have 0% driver payment.

K4016td

Wasn't the whole principle to bring in occasional passengers for whom a £3.50 single for a 2 mile journey down the road was a significant entry barrier? Seasonal ticket still represents more-less the same value as before so nothing changed for the regulars.

Back to the main thread - I think it was a great idea, it definetely helped with the cost of travel, the best example being my mum and 16yrs old sister who were occasional bus users (part time work) and ever since the cap kicked in, they use the buses much more than before - shame that similar approach can't be taken for train tickets. I always had a continental approach in which public transport is as crucial for the population as is hospital, school or a care home and shouldn't be a ''for profit'' activity.

johncrossley

Established Member
Wasn't the whole principle to bring in occasional passengers for whom a £3.50 single for a 2 mile journey down the road was a significant entry barrier? Seasonal ticket still represents more-less the same value as before so nothing changed for the regulars.

It was explained earlier that many people have switched to driver payment because getting singles is cheaper than what they used to get. Newbies paying with card don't need to pay the driver if the bus has tap and cap.

I always had a continental approach in which public transport is as crucial for the population as is hospital, school or a care home and shouldn't be a ''for profit'' activity.

The "continental approach" means few, if any, people paying the driver.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
For those who have queried the closure of this thread, please see the reason for the closure of the previous thread on the subject.

Other than the fact that the £2 fare cap has been extended, there isn't really much more that can be said on the matter. As the thread is drifting onto other matters, we'll bring it to a close.

If there are any further developments regarding the fare cap, let us know via the report function and we'll consider reopening the thread.

Other ticketing issues can be discussed in a separate thread.

Nothing has fundamentally changed since this decision was made. Since this thread was opened it didn't take long before the topic drifted as before.

If there are any significant changes to the £2 fare cap scheme in future, we will look into the matter and consider re-opening the debate. Until then, there is absolutely no point in going over old ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.