• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£5 East Sussex Day Ticket, multi operator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Is the £5 East Sussex Day Ticket a multi operator ticket? Looking at the websites it does not appear to be yet you can buy the ticket on compass , Stagecoach, Metrobus etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James H

I started a thread about East Sussex ticketing a few weeks ago.

No, it does not appear to be a multi-operator ticket.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I can certainly understand the confusion here. I googled "£5 East Sussex day ticket" and found this in the results:

New lower fares on East Sussex bus services
Information on lower fares for bus services in East Sussex for Summer 2022 (updated 05 August 2022):

Stagecoach services
A new £5 East Sussex DayRider ticket for all Stagecoach buses in East Sussex. Also for journeys starting or finishing in East Sussex, but you can only buy it in East Sussex. The East Sussex DayRider can be purchased on bus or on Stagecoach’s mobile app.
A new East Sussex family and group travel ticket offering up to 4 under 19s free travel with an adult fare paying passenger or concessionary pass traveller. Available for any Stagecoach journey in East Sussex and also for journeys starting or finishing in East Sussex, but you can only use it with tickets purchased in East Sussex. Proof of age will need to be shown to the driver if requested.
Unaccompanied young people aged under 19 (proof of age may be requested) can make a one way journey for £1 in East Sussex. Please be aware you cannot buy this ticket in Kent. This offer is available anytime during the Summer school holidays.
A lower short hop £1.30 fare has now been introduced in Eastbourne. Short hop fares will be introduced in other areas too.
The above offers are valid on any Stagecoach route that runs through the County of East Sussex. All trips must either start or end in the East Sussex County Council Area, with the first trip of the day starting in East Sussex. Individual journeys that are wholly within the Kent County Council area are not valid on this ticket.

More details are available Stagecoach’s website.

Brighton & Hove Buses and Metrobus Services
East Sussex Day Tickets
A new £5 East Sussex Day Ticket. Valid on any Brighton & Hove or Metrobus route that runs through the county of East Sussex. All trips must either start or end in East Sussex. Buy it on the Brighton & Hove Buses mobile app or Metrobus mobile app.
The new East Sussex family and group travel ticket now allows up to 4 young people to travel free on Brighton & Hove Buses and Metrobus services with an adult fare paying passenger or concessionary pass traveller. Young people may be required to show proof of age such as their Brighton & Hove BusID.
Unaccompanied young people aged under 19 (proof of age may be requested) can make a one way journey for £1. This offer is available anytime during the Summer school holidays.
The above offers are valid on any Brighton & Hove or Metrobus route that runs through the County of East Sussex. All trips must either start or end in the East Sussex County Council Area, with the first trip of the day starting in East Sussex. Individual journeys that are wholly within the Brighton & Hove City Council or West Sussex County Council area are not valid on this ticket.

More details are available the Brighton & Hove Buses website, including how to apply for a BusID.

Compass Travel bus services in East Sussex
Buy these tickets from the bus driver (contactless payment is accepted). They are available for travel on all Compass Travel services within East Sussex and also for travel journeys starting or finishing in East Sussex with the first trip of the day starting in East Sussex.

A new £5 East Sussex day ticket on Compass Travel bus services in East Sussex. Also for journeys starting or finishing in East Sussex, but your first trip must start in East Sussex.
A new East Sussex family and group travel ticket offering up to 4 under 19s free travel with an adult fare paying passenger or concessionary pass traveller. Available for any Stagecoach journey in East Sussex and also for journeys starting or finishing in East Sussex, but your first trip must start in East Sussex. Proof of age will need to be shown to the driver if requested.
Unaccompanied young people aged under 19 (proof of age may be requested) can make a one way journey for £1 in East Sussex. Also for journeys starting or finishing in East Sussex, but your first trip must start in East Sussex. This offer is available anytime during the Summer school holidays.
Most Compass Travel single and return fares in East Sussex significantly reduced.
More details are available on the Compass Travel website.

Cuckmere Buses Services
A new £5 day ticket on all Cuckmere Bus services
A new East Sussex family and group travel ticket offer allowing up to 4 young people to travel free with an adult fare paying passenger or concessionary pass traveller. Young people must show their proof of age.
Unaccompanied young people aged under 19 (proof of age may be requested) can make a one way journey for £1. This offer is available anytime during the Summer school holidays.
More details are available on the Cuckmere Buses website.

North Wealden Community Transport (Wealdlink) services 224, 225, 226
A new £5 day ticket.
A new East Sussex family and group travel ticket offer allowing up to 4 young people to travel free with an adult fare paying passenger or concessionary pass traveller. Young people must show their proof of age.
Please visit this page regularly for more updates. These initiatives are part of the new East Sussex Bus Service Improvement Plan.

This suggests that there are multiple £5 tickets available, and nowhere on the page does it indicate that the ticket is multi-operator. I feel that it does require some clarification, though. Perhaps it would be worthwhile contacting East Sussex County Council.

I know for a fact there is a £9 multi operator rover ticket for East Sussex and Kent. Can’t remember what it’s called but fairly sure it’s the “something” explorer ticket

Last edited by a moderator:

route101

Established Member
I used a Compass service yesterday between Uckfield and Haywards Heath and asked for a single. I got the East Sussex Day Ticket and was wondered if I could use it on other operators. In the end I got the train down to Brighton.

Man of Kent

The £5 day tickets are not interavailable between operators (other than Brighton & Hove and Metrobus, which is all on the same O licence these days anyway). It may happen later, once East Sussx's Bus Service Improvement Plan is approved.

Most other south east authorities were also looking for their own local, lower cost version of the Discovery ticket, but the East Sussex versions are the first to break cover. Operators have the usual concerns about revenue loss from acceptance - Discovery has a mechanism in place to deal with this, though I am not aware that it has ever been used.

Status
Not open for further replies.