• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

‘Ivanhoe Car Stop’

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
Platform four at Leicester has some rather interesting stop boards with the words ‘Ivanhoe Car Stop’. What train type does this refer to please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Platform four at Leicester has some rather interesting stop boards with the words ‘Ivanhoe Car Stop’. What train type does this refer to please?
Presumably the stop marker for the 2 car 156s/158s currently used on the Ivanhoe line, most of the stations reopened when local services were reintroduced on this line can only take 2 car trains as they have 2 car platforms.

_toommm_

Established Member
Presumably the stop marker for the 2 car 156s/158s currently used on the Ivanhoe line, most of the stations reopened when local services were reintroduced on this line can only take 2 car trains as they have 2 car platforms.
Didn’t even know that that section was referred to as the Ivanhoe Line - thank you, that makes sense now :)

station_road

Connected to this, when Willington station opened in 1994 (between Derby and Burton) it was also branded as part of the Ivanhoe line - you can see the logo on the BR totem sign outside the station in one of the photograps on it's Wikipedia page, and it also appeared on the station name signs. That was when the plan was to run services from Loughborough - Leicester - Burton - Derby via Coalville.

Photograph of Willington station showing Ivanhoe Line branding

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Didn’t even know that that section was referred to as the Ivanhoe Line - thank you, that makes sense now :)
It's only for the local services and was named as such because Ashby de La Zouch (where part of Walter Scott's Ivanhoe novel was set) was supposed to have a new station as a part of a later phase of reopening (along with Swadlincote, Coalville and Leicester Forest East on the Leicester to Burton upon Trent line) , hence the Ivanhoe line marketing. I think the main barrier to reopening that line (serves around 120k people not served by rail at all, so an easy win) is the lack of a Leicester-facing junction at the line's junction onto the Midland Main Line at Aylestone . The land formerly used by the junction has been built upon with industrial units, you'd have to compulsory purchase those to reopen viably without reversing on the MML.
You're welcome :D

NoRoute

I think the main barrier to reopening that line (serves around 120k people not served by rail at all, so an easy win) is the lack of a Leicester-facing junction at the line's junction onto the Midland Main Line at Aylestone . The land formerly used by the junction has been built upon with industrial units, you'd have to compulsory purchase those to reopen viably without reversing on the MML.

Selling off the land at the junction seemed a bizarre decision though, to have a route between Leicester and Burton, carrying mineral traffic with potential for diversionary traffic, north-bound freight and passenger traffic, then removing the junction to allow trains to travel north toward Leicester. The railways seem to have a habit of shooting itself in the foot with poor decisions which then hinder it later it at later date.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Selling off the land at the junction seemed a bizarre decision though, to have a route between Leicester and Burton, carrying mineral traffic with potential for diversionary traffic, north-bound freight and passenger traffic, then removing the junction to allow trains to travel north toward Leicester. The railways seem to have a habit of shooting itself in the foot with poor decisions which then hinder it later it at later date.
Indeed, but the railway was broke and perhaps saw no value in keeping a junction on what could have been and (was later proved to be) a valuable piece of land to sell.

Roast Veg

Established Member
You'd also be on the wrong side of the MML, which is likely to become four tracked and grade separated at Wigston. You might just about get a single track grade separated underpass at Aylestone in on the current formation - maybe.

plugwash

Established Member
Is there something special about the ivanhoe trains that mean they need special stop boards, rather than just a regular "2 car stop"?

LowLevel

Established Member
Is there something special about the ivanhoe trains that mean they need special stop boards, rather than just a regular "2 car stop"?

It was because they were originally located at platform 4B for various reasons, subsequently being moved to 4A a few years ago. They were introduced as part of the commencement of guard self dispatch of EMT 15x units at Leicester in 2013 or so.

They didn't want them to be taken by Cross Country 170 drivers arriving from the east as an indication they should stop at the B end, hence Ivanhoe car stop to show they only applied to EMT Ivanhoe services.

They could be overriden by the platform staff giving the usual hand signals to the driver.

Some time later it was decided it was unnecessary to stop the trains at the North (B) end and indeed poor customer service as half the train was in the rain so the boards were moved to the A end. They're now non standard and I expect they'll be removed at some point.

Roast Veg

Established Member
It was because they were originally located at platform 4B for various reasons, subsequently being moved to 4A a few years ago. They were introduced as part of the commencement of guard self dispatch of EMT 15x units at Leicester in 2013 or so.

They didn't want them to be taken by Cross Country 170 drivers arriving from the east as an indication they should stop at the B end, hence Ivanhoe car stop to show they only applied to EMT Ivanhoe services.

They could be overriden by the platform staff giving the usual hand signals to the driver.

Some time later it was decided it was unnecessary to stop the trains at the North (B) end and indeed poor customer service as half the train was in the rain so the boards were moved to the A end. They're now non standard and I expect they'll be removed at some point.
There are (or used to be) Ivanhoe stop boards on platform 1 as well. Good riddance to the 4B nonsense.

As a sidenote, XC 170s stable overnight at Leicester and often in the same platform (1/4) as EMR locals. I doubt the stop boards are useful then anyway, as permission to pass the signal at danger ought to keep a driver wary!

LowLevel

Established Member
There are (or used to be) Ivanhoe stop boards on platform 1 as well. Good riddance to the 4B nonsense.

As a sidenote, XC 170s stable overnight at Leicester and often in the same platform (1/4) as EMR locals. I doubt the stop boards are useful then anyway, as permission to pass the signal at danger ought to keep a driver wary!

Platform 1 was the reserve platform.

You pass the signal with the calling on position lights and during stabling you stop as directed by the station staff. XC 170s usually go down to the depot now.

Roast Veg

Established Member
XC 170s usually go down to the depot now.
To Tyseley? That's a surprise. Only a couple of years ago they'd be stacked up two or three units deep at Leicester. I can't remember if they were coupled or not - the EMR 153s/6s obviously weren't coupled to them!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
To Tyseley? That's a surprise. Only a couple of years ago they'd be stacked up two or three units deep at Leicester. I can't remember if they were coupled or not - the EMR 153s/6s obviously weren't coupled to them!
No. Leicester depot / locomotive inspection point.

For example:

Andy Pacer

Established Member
No. Leicester depot / locomotive inspection point.

For example:
Interesting I didn't know that.

I used to regularly get the 0639 Leicester to Luton and would see the XC 170s being prepped by a West Midlands Railway guy (never quite worked out that one, is it because they're based at Tyseley) but I've not done that "post covid" so didn't realise the arrangements had changed.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Interesting I didn't know that.

I used to regularly get the 0639 Leicester to Luton and would see the XC 170s being prepped by a West Midlands Railway guy (never quite worked out that one, is it because they're based at Tyseley) but I've not done that "post covid" so didn't realise the arrangements had changed.
The XC 170s are often(?) driven by WMT drivers, with XC guards. That may only apply to services as far as Leicester and not the Stansteds.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The XC 170s are often(?) driven by WMT drivers, with XC guards. That may only apply to services as far as Leicester and not the Stansteds.
Not sure where you get that idea from!

LowLevel

Established Member

No they aren't, except when being shunted on Tyseley depot.

They're maintained by WMR who outstation a pair (I think) of fitters at Leicester to keep up with running repairs.

They now stable on the UKRL depot.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Could have sworn I got the idea from witnessing it myself... oh well!

Mollman

Established Member
Is that the sidings to the side of the station, as opposed to the UKRL depot?
No it is the UKRL depot:
UK Rail Leasing’s Leicester depot is set to get a boost: from May 2021 it is to carry out overnight servicing and maintenance on CrossCountry’s Class 170 DMUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.