• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

10x8 print issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenn

Major Headache

I'm trying to get 10x8 prints of all my images from Long Marston.
Problem is when using Snapfish tool to crop to a 10x8 its taken out part of the image.
How can i just get the image i took directly onto a 10x8??
The image dims are all around 2200x1496 and 1.00mb.

Any help would be really appreciated as to how i can overcome this otherwise the pics are wasted.
Glenn

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
Assuming you are using an SLR, the photos usually are 3:2 ratio (same as 35mm film). 10x8 is a 4:3 ratio, which is the same as most digital compacts. Therefore some of the image will be lost. You should either crop before you send them off for printing, or scale them down to fit 10x8, which will result in white bands top and bottom.

12x8 is the nearest 3:2 equivelant, but less frames are available.

mumrar

Established Member
The dimensions for the image file you have given are quite perplexing. 2200x1496 is a ratio of 3:2 which is the same as 35mm film, but at that resolution I don't think prints as large as 12x8 inches are justified giving around 180pixels per inch, especially as you want to do all the images you took at Long Marston. Are these the full size images that came off your camera or have you reduced them?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've just had a quick google and found that a Nikon D40 in 3.3 megapixel mode kicks out close to that resolution. Is this what you have? I hope you didn't shoot everything in this mode if so

Status
Not open for further replies.