• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

14 Year Old Fined!

AngryMother

My son only just decided to tell me last night, that whilst he was out with friends last week he didn’t buy a ticket to get on the metrolink and got a fine. His reasoning was that his battery had gone so he had no way of paying as he has Apple Pay. I completely understand that this is his fault and I am not disputing this.

My question is that I have read an old article that says the first time this happens they should just get a warning rather than a fine.

I have received a letter today (addressed to Parent/Guardian of) saying if I don’t pay £60 by Saturday it will double.

My son has stupidly already appealed himself and even tried to sell his belongings to pay himself before telling me.

Do I have any right of appeal? Do they offer any lenience for a child?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ikcdab

There are three levels of appeal. The first two are usually rejected but the third level is reviewed by independent people and is the one that can succeed.
However, what grounds are you appealing on? Being a child of 14 isn't one of them.
Have you received a response to the first appeal yet?

furlong

Established Member
There are three levels of appeal. The first two are usually rejected but the third level is reviewed by independent people and is the one that can succeed.
Please ignore that part of the post - Metrolink doesn't do things like that.