• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

18/19 February - A Video Diary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Hi all,

Firstly, I appreciate that this is a little late, considering I'm going to be at Temple Meads in 33 hours anyway! Also, a note for the moderators, if you feel that this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it. Note that I need to say as much...

Anyway, you may have noticed from the Mileage Competition thread that I am making a ridiculous overnight run north of the border (i.e. to Scotland; for the record, I have previously suggested that the furthest north I have ever been is the not-so-far-north resort of Scarborough). This whole run will last approximately 28 hours, and if it had been planned more aggresively it could probably challenge EM2 for the 24-hour record, but that is besides the point. My questions are as follows.

First and foremost, am I likely to face any problems with regards to keeping an occasional video diary on my laptop (besides countless confused faces!)? In particular, am I likely to face any problems on the Caledonian Sleeper? I would just visit the Lounge Car once every-so-often in that particular example, though; otherwise, the computer would simply be on the airline-style fold-down table before me (except for the First-Class Anytime run from Edinburgh to Glasgow, which costs a fantastic £2.70 courtesy of XC).
Secondly, which operators - in particular the High Speed routes of XC, GR, VT, SE and GW - provide wi-fi capabilities on their trains? I can tell from transportphoto's thread that East Coast [i.e. GR] do, but what of the other operators? (If you're wondering how SE fit in, I'll explain later.) Similarly, are there any high speed operators (I'm guessing SE fit this one) that do not provide power outlets?
And thirdly, would anyone have any advice for the Caledonian Sleeper? I have never travelled on a Sleeper service before, and find it extremely difficult to sleep whilst on the move, so I would have seven hours to pass! (Not that I'm complaining particularly.)

Thank you for any advice, and similar to transportphoto I shall be sure to post occasional updates (unless advised otherwise). As for the run to Leeds and back... Well, that actually has a purpose. So it shall remain personal in that respect. It just means I have to leave at 04:45...

Anyway, once again, any advice would be appreciated. I will be pleased to provide an itinerary if requested.

Ivo

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
EC have free wifi
VT have one you have to pay for in standard
None of the others have wifi

Power Outlets
XC
GR
VT

Established Member
VT has it free in first class.....why not stand in a 1st class vestibule ;) :p

EM2

Established Member
Power outlets on GW (on the HSTs anyway).
Can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to video yourself. Are you using a webcam to do it? As far as I can see, it's no worse than talking to yourself, and loads of people do that every day :lol:

Ivo

Established Member
I shall indeed be using a webcam for the job. But the fact that only East Coast (I don't know why I mentioned Virgin, I'm not travelling with them! :?) are actually able to offer me a wifi connection could be an issue. Ah, well, never mind; there's always McDonald's :roll:

(I found out earlier today that I should be getting a voice recorder soon, like the things the press use, as part of my Disabled Student's Allowance. That would have been so useful...!)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Okay, I've made my first video. It outlines basic details and little else. I've uploaded it onto my Facebook account [yawn...!], so if anyone wants to see it just use the link to my Videos page, below. You will need an account to do this. In the event that you have to "be my friend" [aww!!! :D] to view it, and still wish to see it, just send a Friend Request stating RailUK Forums. All of the other ones will be added in due course; probably in one lump when I return.

The Caley All-Anglo Voyage: Part 0

Last edited:

googolplex

Might be a bit late now, but you can (just about, in places) get 3G connectivity if you have a phone+cable or a dongle. It can be rather hit and miss though, especially on FGW's HST routes.

Ivo

Established Member
Hi all,

Currently travelling on a 225 on the ECML south of Darlington. I've had no problems thus far, although some of the video quality has been a bit poor! I'm doing a video about once an hour, although I'm not sure about the Sleeper later. I can safely say that I am further north than ever (and obviously getting further north by the second :roll:); not that it actually matters.

Yet to have a table, unsurprisingly [that's Bath Spa staff for you; Bristol TM actually help!], so everything is feeling a bit cramped. This GR service is essentially full; hopefully Eureka will sort that (sure it will! :lol:). As for videos, I will try to upload them tomorrow morning, given the amount of time I have to travel from Euston to St Pancras (may not be possible though). If it comes to it I will upload them at home tomorrow evening.

Anyway, that's enough of me. Just about to stop at Darlington now.

Capybara

I am making a ridiculous overnight run north of the border (i.e. to Scotland; for the record, I have previously suggested that the furthest north I have ever been is the not-so-far-north resort of Scarborough).

Anyway, that's enough of me. Just about to stop at Darlington now.

I take it you remembered your passport?

Status
Not open for further replies.