• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 Day Travelcard prices

AY1975

Established Member
Does anyone know the prices of inboundary One Day Travelcards after the March fare increase? I can't find anything on the TfL or oysterfares.com site (or in these forums).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
From https://www.london.gov.uk/who-we-ar...yoral-decisions/md3221-march-2024-fare-change (PDF from there attached below):

The prices of both the Zones 1-6 off-peak Day Travelcard, and the Zones 1-4 Anytime Day Travelcard, will increase by 70p to £15.90. The Zones 1-6 All Day Travelcard ticket price will increase by £1.10 to £22.60. These fares are set in agreement with TOCs and are increasing overall by 4.9 per cent, reflecting the national government's rail fare policy.
EDIT My initial search led me to information on the March 2023 fare rise on the TfL Web site, I agree. A bit more hunting led me to the correct information elsewhere.

1706541866261.png

Attachments

• MD3221 Fares 2024 Changes - Signed.pdf
    494.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

jon81uk

Fares frozen i believe
Only on TfL controlled fares. Travelcards are joint between TfL and DfT as they are valid on TfL and National Rail, therefore the Mayor can only freeze the TfL element. Also as part of the settlement agreed with TfL and the Mayor last year (where they threatened to withdraw TfL) out-boundary day travelcards will be going up significantly.

Edvid

Established Member
How far in advance are revised NR fares (outside London) generally released? In the not-so-distant past it was 4 weeks if memory serves; if that's still the case then the various outboundary fares for this year should be made public next week.

jfollows

Established Member
Only on TfL controlled fares. Travelcards are joint between TfL and DfT as they are valid on TfL and National Rail, therefore the Mayor can only freeze the TfL element. Also as part of the settlement agreed with TfL and the Mayor last year (where they threatened to withdraw TfL) out-boundary day travelcards will be going up significantly.
Outboundary presumably +8% or so. +4.9%+3% is either +7.9% or +8.05% depending on how the extra 3% is applied.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I was under the impression that the 3% would be applied to the TfL element as well and that as it was on top of the regular fare increase, they can still apply the 3% to the base Travelcard despite the TfL fares freeze?

AY1975

Established Member
What about Child and Railcard discounted Day Travelcards? And what about Zones 1-9 Travelcards?

jon81uk

I was under the impression that the 3% would be applied to the TfL element as well and that as it was on top of the regular fare increase, they can still apply the 3% to the base Travelcard despite the TfL fares freeze?
All thats known is that it will be 3% on average, so some routes will go up more than others, but yes it would be on the price of the travelcard, similar to the in-boundary going up by 4.9% as that is what DfT wants, the freeze by TfL didn't make much difference.

What about Child and Railcard discounted Day Travelcards? And what about Zones 1-9 Travelcards?
From the above linked docuement
Concessions and discounts on TfL rail services
1.21 For under-16s, all-Day Travelcard prices and peak PAYG daily caps are set at half the adult rate and increase in line with adult prices. The under-16s off-peak cap available through the Zip Card increases by 10p to £1.80.
1.22 Accompanied under-11s continue to travel free on all TfL services; and on TOC services, provided a valid Zip Card is held.
1.23 These fares are set in agreement with TOCs and are increasing overall by 4.9 per cent, reflecting the national government’s rail fare policy.

Tube fares for travel beyond Zone 6
1.25 Beyond the Greater London area, PAYG and cash single fares involving Zones 7 to 9 applying on the Tube and on certain other rail services will increase in line with the general NR increase of 4.9 per cent.
1.26 Travelcard prices and the associated PAYG caps with coverage in Zones 7 to 9 increase by an average of 4.9 per cent, as set by agreement with the TOCs and reflect national government rail fares policy

Edvid

Established Member
Child and Railcard discounts are still 50% and 34%, I think. Adult Z1-9 one day issues have risen from £27.20 to £28.50 (anytime) £16.20 to £17.00 (off-peak).

(Note: The main MD3221 document erroneously states the 2023 changes for Z1-9 daily caps / ODT prices).

Attachments

• MD3221 Appendix 1.pdf
    289.4 KB · Views: 10

CyrusWuff

Established Member
How far in advance are revised NR fares (outside London) generally released? In the not-so-distant past it was 4 weeks if memory serves; if that's still the case then the various outboundary fares for this year should be made public next week.
If it's the same as the past few years, they shouldn't be displayed prior to them coming into effect.

That doesn't mean they won't get leaked (accidentally or otherwise) though.

winks

Travelling into London on a day travelcard looking like 7.9% increase but we’ll have to wait and see.

Edvid

Established Member
New fares are now up.

On my patch (Thameslink stations on the MML, i.e. Radlett to Bedford inclusive) the outboundary fares have all risen by the suggested 7.9%, give or take. The weekend super off-peak Travelcards are very good value (especially with Railcards) so I'm chuffed.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
On my patch (Thameslink stations on the MML, i.e. Radlett to Bedford inclusive) the outboundary fares have all risen by the suggested 7.9%, give or take.
Given the nature of TfL's complaint and the fuss they made about it, it does seem a little odd that the pricing of outboundary travelcards appears to have just risen uniformly around the network, rather than all being reset to a consistent formula.

Still, I guess it is a good outcome for those passengers who benefit from the cheapest Travelcard prices.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Given the nature of TfL's complaint and the fuss they made about it, it does seem a little odd that the pricing of outboundary travelcards appears to have just risen uniformly around the network, rather than all being reset to a consistent formula.
The one-off additional 3% increase was the only condition for retaining Day Travelcards, so I'd assume that's all most TOCs have done.

Doesn’t mean there can't be further revisions at a later date, of course.

fandroid

Established Member
Interesting anomaly here. One day Travelcards from here (Basingstoke) have increased as follows:

Via Woking (priced by SWR) increase by 4.9%

Any Permitted (priced by GWR) increase by 7.9%

I used to always plump for the Any Permitted, to give me flexibility on my return journey as, with a Railcard discount the price difference was only 10p!

Now that difference is 80p.

Interesting in that SWR have not apparently pushed the outboundary Travelcard prices up beyond the national average increase, in spite of TfL negotiating for a greater increase. That's remembering that the add-on to the London terminals day return price was always (and remains so) very good value on that line.

Edvid

Established Member
Inboundary Z1-9 issues priced by Southeastern are now in line with those priced by TfL. Good news for passengers from Swanley at least; at Dartford the HS1/not-HS1 routes are still used so I don't know if Travelcards from there are valid across Z7-9 or not.

Inboundary issues priced by Greater Anglia (at the same Z1-9 rate) are still limited to Z1-7 from Waltham Cross and Z1-8 from Cheshunt.

(All according to BR Fares)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Interesting anomaly here. One day Travelcards from here (Basingstoke) have increased as follows:

Via Woking (priced by SWR) increase by 4.9%

Any Permitted (priced by GWR) increase by 7.9%

I used to always plump for the Any Permitted, to give me flexibility on my return journey as, with a Railcard discount the price difference was only 10p!

Now that difference is 80p.

Interesting in that SWR have not apparently pushed the outboundary Travelcard prices up beyond the national average increase, in spite of TfL negotiating for a greater increase. That's remembering that the add-on to the London terminals day return price was always (and remains so) very good value on that line.

A reverse of what it was like a couple of years ago when the Any Permitted was cheaper than the 'via Woking' fare

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
at Dartford the HS1/not-HS1 routes are still used so I don't know if Travelcards from there are valid across Z7-9 or not.

They are not.
However, the prices are identical to the zone 1-9 travelcards, so I think it's quite misleading to say the least. A travelcard bought from Swanley is valid at Dartford, whereas one bought from Dartford is not valid at Swanley*. There are some people who live in villages like Wilmington who might use the bus to get to the station and would like the flexibility of returning to the other station.

*unless it is bought with a different origin, like Amersham.

ServerHoster

Looks like the travelcard fare from my local station, Winsford, has gone up by 5.85%

Previously £53.00. Now £56.10.

Not as bad as I thought it would be, thought it would go up to like £60 or something!

MrJeeves

Established Member
Looks like the travelcard fare from my local station, Winsford, has gone up by 5.85%

Previously £53.00. Now £56.10.

Not as bad as I thought it would be, thought it would go up to like £60 or something!
Certainly less than the 4.9% + 3% that was promised! Some TOCs seem to be eating up some of the Travelcard margin.

I got lucky as my Travelcards were already incredible cheap, so the 7.9% increase means my railcard-discounted Travelcard goes up from £10.80 to an eye-watering(ly still cheap) £11.65.

Still just £1.90 more than a super off-peak day return for me, so a no-brainer!

fkofilee

Certainly less than the 4.9% + 3% that was promised! Some TOCs seem to be eating up some of the Travelcard margin.

I got lucky as my Travelcards were already incredible cheap, so the 7.9% increase means my railcard-discounted Travelcard goes up from £10.80 to an eye-watering(ly still cheap) £11.65.

Still just £1.90 more than a super off-peak day return for me, so a no-brainer!

This Thameslink Super Off Peak from Gatwick?
Same Price for me.

MikeWM

Established Member
7.9% increase on a super-off-peak (weekend) GN Ely Travelcard, exactly as 'expected'. 8.0% increase on Cambridge.

The GA-only super-off-peak (weekend) Travelcard from Cambridge, however, doesn't appear to have increased at all! I suspect I'll be putting up with the 720s rather more often going forward, as the difference in price is getting significant...

Kite159

Veteran Member
7.9% increase on a super-off-peak (weekend) GN Ely Travelcard, exactly as 'expected'. 8.0% increase on Cambridge.

The GA-only super-off-peak (weekend) Travelcard from Cambridge, however, doesn't appear to have increased at all! I suspect I'll be putting up with the 720s rather more often going forward, as the difference in price is getting significant...
Couldn't you use the Norwich - Stansted service to Stansted to change onto a Stansted Express service. Slower than going direct but will hopefully* avoid the high density 3+2 seats (*at least with GA on RTT you can see if the Stansted - London train which the Norwich - Stansted train connects into is a 745 or 720)

MikeWM

Established Member
Couldn't you use the Norwich - Stansted service to Stansted to change onto a Stansted Express service. Slower than going direct but will hopefully* avoid the high density 3+2 seats (*at least with GA on RTT you can see if the Stansted - London train which the Norwich - Stansted train connects into is a 745 or 720)

Yes - connections were a bit of a pain when the Stansted Express was only running every 30 minutes, but now they are back to 4tph, that's pretty much exactly what I usually plan to do :)

fkofilee

Mine was TL Super Off-peak from Wivelsfield/Burgess Hill/Hassocks.

I think the Gatwick one went up from £10 to £10.80 with a railcard in this price increase?
Something like that - IMHO - It seems steep - almost 10% increase, but its 80p extra per journey... That to me is still ridiculously cheap!