• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

34067 Tangmere and 70013 Oliver Cromwell on the Great Britain 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34067James

Nice shots there mark 8-) good to see tangmere replaced a failed nunny Castle that thing always fails :lol: but it looks as if tangmere was working hard at Liskeard but Oliver working the train at Dawlish 8-)

James

34067James

Nice video mate yeah tangmere sure does know how to smoke 8-) or it could be Pete Roberts driving is this a WCRC working or DBS UK?? What was Tangmere like up parkstone bank.

James

almark

It was WCRC i dunno who it was,i think Ray Churchill was in one and Andy Taylor in the other.

It was ear pierecing i have never heard anything like it,very sharp beat,no vid tho :(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think this is the climb,i have ever heard it like this since, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0nYk5tllgQ

CraigS

Established Member
Nice shots and video Mark, really like the shot of 34067 and 70013 passing Liskeard, shame about the weather though. :smile:

Wish they would do a double header like that down in Kent or Sussex.

almark

Cheers Craig,in actual fact we were praying for the sun to stay in!! Very bizarre i know,but had it of come out we would have had a load of shadows on the side and a darkened front!

Cheers,
Mark

34067James

It was WCRC i dunno who it was,i think Ray Churchill was in one and Andy Taylor in the other.

It was ear pierecing i have never heard anything like it,very sharp beat,no vid tho :(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think this is the climb,i have ever heard it like this since, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0nYk5tllgQ

Wow she sounds nice :p:p a real beast and not many people like her <( but she is at the moment and past few years been the most busiest mainline steam loco , She has just work three of the great briton 2 railtours:D cant wait to ride behind her again soon.

I might get to hear that sound if I do the Cathedral express to Weymouth in July

James

almark

I don't know why there is this hatred,but there is,i think it is a brilliant engine,people always doubt it but it's a lot better than many engines out there and to be honest i think it made a fool of 6024 on the Torbay Express last year,with all these Doubters,it really stormed away!

34067James

Just seen a video of tangmere trying parkstone bank in the wet on youtube ,but what annoys me is this coment tangmere is rubbish with hills and The S&D 7F`S used to fly up there with 10 on in the 50`s 7 60`s! Of course they dont get out much to see her up hills I mean just watch the video off her in the dry going up parkstone bank she is brilliant and with the same stock the Green train set,she does it better then the MHR Standard 5MT going up the same bank but I mean she is hauling a 12 coach train in the wet <( Anyway cant wait for her trip to swanage on the 2nd may :razz:

James

almark

Just seen a video of tangmere trying parkstone bank in the wet on youtube ,but what annoys me is this coment tangmere is rubbish with hills and The S&D 7F`S used to fly up there with 10 on in the 50`s 7 60`s! Of course they dont get out much to see her up hills I mean just watch the video off her in the dry going up parkstone bank she is brilliant and with the same stock the Green train set,she does it better then the MHR Standard 5MT going up the same bank but I mean she is hauling a 12 coach train in the wet <( Anyway cant wait for her trip to swanage on the 2nd may :razz:

James

exactly,since when were BOB's designed to haul 12 coaches in the wet up there unassisted!!!

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I'll second your last point, 34067James. I was at Folkestone this year, both for Tangmere's and for Cromwell's ascents of the harbour branch.

Cromwell certainly didn't disgrace herself; grinding steadily and sure-footedly up the incline, on each of the three harbour branch runs. I think she set off a couple of car-alarms, she was that loud!

"Tangy" however made a mockery of the 1:30 gradient; actually accelerating with ten on plus a lethargic Brush at the rear. And she seemed to have steam to spare. Quality!

almark

The diesels always push up there though! Not usually full throttle but neither would make it alone.

34067James

exactly,since when were BOB's designed to haul 12 coaches in the wet up there unassisted!!!

When they did haul 12 coaches up banks they always had a banking engine on the rear.

I'll second your last point, 34067James. I was at Folkestone this year, both for Tangmere's and for Cromwell's ascents of the harbour branch.

Cromwell certainly didn't disgrace herself; grinding steadily and sure-footedly up the incline, on each of the three harbour branch runs. I think she set off a couple of car-alarms, she was that loud!

"Tangy" however made a mockery of the 1:30 gradient; actually accelerating with ten on plus a lethargic Brush at the rear. And she seemed to have steam to spare. Quality!

Yeah I was there for both trips well the one with tangmere I was on and she is a working powerhorse though power of both locos are near the same the Power Classification for both locos is BoB/WC is 7P5F and a Standard Class 7 is 7P6F:o. though Oliver cromwell did wheel slip on its first run half way up the bank and tangmere took it with easy. Yeah the 47 on the rear only power at parts of the track then sits back in idol , though the steam loco does most off the work and makes the better sound sight and smell :p

James

Status
Not open for further replies.