• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Thanks for the advice.

I believe what you meant by high profile is true. It's high profile in the sense that it's a sought after job, one of the most competitive roles to apply for and of a very high standard. So I understand what you meant and agree. It's a once in a lifetime role for me, and a dream job, so I consider it high profile and high priority.

Looking at BAC calculators online, it would appear that to still have alcohol in your system after 72 hours would mean you'd have to have had enough alcohol to die, so I'd probably appeal a positive result haha.

Thanks anyway guys. Some great information here and a helpful community.
No problem at all.

I’m glad you got what I meant by high profile. For me it is highly sought after and a dream career, so I worded it as such. I get the other posters response and appreciate that too. It is indeed a very responsible and safety critical job.

Yeah having alcohol in the system 72hrs after consumption as stated above by another poster would mean you’d have to be dead pretty much. I know I joked about knowing people who have drank enough to be over the limit after 2/3 days, but that was an exaggeration of course.

Glad you’re mind is now at ease and you can focus on getting that start date and IST. Like I said, good luck when it comes. I am hopeful I can make IST myself in the near future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NRnoob

No problem at all.

I’m glad you got what I meant by high profile. For me it is highly sought after and a dream career, so I worded it as such. I get the other posters response and appreciate that too. It is indeed a very responsible and safety critical job.

Yeah having alcohol in the system 72hrs after consumption as stated above by another poster would mean you’d have to be dead pretty much. I know I joked about knowing people who have drank enough to be over the limit after 2/3 days, but that was an exaggeration of course.

Glad you’re mind is now at ease and you can focus on getting that start date and IST. Like I said, good luck when it comes. I am hopeful I can make IST myself in the near future.
To be fair my mind will only truly be at ease when I get that email from them confirming the negative result! But talking to you guys has made me much more relaxed about the outcome etc.

As for your IST, I hope you land your role my friend! I'm sure with your attitude, you'll do very well! :)

The Puddock

I believe what you meant by high profile is true. It's high profile in the sense that it's a sought after job, one of the most competitive roles to apply for and of a very high standard. So I understand what you meant and agree. It's a once in a lifetime role for me, and a dream job, so I consider it high profile and high priority.
Let's not go mad here. Compared with most other professions, signalling is pretty far down the pecking order. Look at requirements to secure a job as a barrister, surgeon, dentist, commercial pilot, mechanical engineer or architect for example. You don't need a degree or even level one qualifications to be a signaller. I wouldn't say it's especially competitive or sought-after either; a number of recent vacancies in my local area have had no external or internal applicants and have had to be readvertised multiple times. Certainly we don't see the level of applications that TOCs are inundated with for train driving roles.

It's a job that carries a lot of responsibility and can be rewarding and challenging at times but realistically it's not like you're competing for a place at Oxford to study medicine.

(edited for bad spelling, which kind of proves the point...)

Last edited:
To be fair my mind will only truly be at ease when I get that email from them confirming the negative result! But talking to you guys has made me much more relaxed about the outcome etc.

As for your IST, I hope you land your role my friend! I'm sure with your attitude, you'll do very well! :)
Haha I totally get that. Never guaranteed until that confirmation comes through!

Thanks you for your kind words. I have an interview next week and I am confident I have what is needed to become a Signaller. I have the correct attitude, experience and ability to give a robust interview, so I hope I do well enough on the day to show them that. All I can do is try my best and hope it’s enough.

I guess time will time.

croydonboy

On a 12 hour shift it's currently 2 x 90 minute breaks per shift. However there has been a lot of staff shortages and it's not been unknown to have shorter breaks or no breaks at all.

There is also no guarantee the breaks won't be further watered down as more workstations come in.
Thanks very much for explaining. The staff shortage thing happens some days here too..I guess it is what it is at the moment. Lots of Manchester ROC jobs going at the minute on internals..

Let's not go mad here. Compared with most other professions, signalling is pretty far down the pecking order. Look at requirements to secure a job as a barrister, surgeon, dentist, commercial pilot, mechanical engineer or architect for example. You don't need a degree or even level one qualifications to be a signaller. I wouldn't say it's especially competitive or sought-after either; a number of recent vacancies in my local area have had no external or internal applicants and have had to be readvertised multiple times. Certainly we don't see the level of applications that TOCs are innundated with for train driving roles.

It's a job that carries a lot of responsibility and can be rewarding and challenging at times but realistically it's not like you're completing for a place at Oxford to study medicine.
Very surprised jobs had to be re advertised, but I guess not everybody knows of or thinks about Signalling. In all honesty it’s a job I never thought about until my friend who drives for LNER told me about it. He only knew as one of his friends had applied and told him, otherwise I wouldn’t even be on this thread annoying you all, so I do get your point. I do wish the position I have applied for had no other competition, might give me a better chance haha

I like the sound of the challenging part at times though, as I think I would get bored otherwise. I do think it’s a job that will suit me and I really hope I manage to become a Signaller very soon.

The Puddock

Very surprised jobs had to be re advertised, but I guess not everybody knows of or thinks about Signalling. In all honesty it’s a job I never thought about until my friend who drives for LNER told me about it. He only knew as one of his friends had applied and told him, otherwise I wouldn’t even be on this thread annoying you all, so I do get your point. I do wish the position I have applied for had no other competition, might give me a better chance haha

I like the sound of the challenging part at times though, as I think I would get bored otherwise. I do think it’s a job that will suit me and I really hope I manage to become a Signaller very soon.
The reality of being a signaller is that most of the time the work is boring and repetitive. I always say it's a bit like working on the production line in a car factory; it's important that you do your job correctly and to a high standard but at the same time it's all a bit mind numbing.

The reality of being a signaller is that most of the time the work is boring and repetitive. I always say it's a bit like working on the production line in a car factory; it's important that you do your job correctly and to a high standard but at the same time it's all a bit mind numbing.
My current job is similar. Then we get days where we have disruption and the service is chaos, then yours truly has to fix it. I love a bit disruption now and again, but wouldn’t want it to happen all the time. It keeps you on your toes from time to time though.

Last edited:

Bradts

Have long have you been waiting for that email mate? If you don’t mind me asking.

NRnoob

Have long have you been waiting for that email mate? If you don’t mind me asking.
One day, so no big deal. I'd say Monday I should know if all 2 units of alcohol had left my body before the medical!

Let's not go mad here. Compared with most other professions, signalling is pretty far down the pecking order. Look at requirements to secure a job as a barrister, surgeon, dentist, commercial pilot, mechanical engineer or architect for example. You don't need a degree or even level one qualifications to be a signaller. I wouldn't say it's especially competitive or sought-after either; a number of recent vacancies in my local area have had no external or internal applicants and have had to be readvertised multiple times. Certainly we don't see the level of applications that TOCs are inundated with for train driving roles.

It's a job that carries a lot of responsibility and can be rewarding and challenging at times but realistically it's not like you're competing for a place at Oxford to study medicine.

(edited for bad spelling, which kind of proves the point...)
I didn't mean that it compared to any of those professions you quoted here. What I meant was that for a lot of the people on this thread, it does mean a lot to them and is something of an achievement in their career. It is a highly competitive role within Network Rail, and is one of the most sought after positions within the organisation, one that carries a lot of history, a lot of procedures and a great deal of responsibility. Nothing compared to becoming a barrister, but just as competitive within its own right in its own field for what it is, and that's a job of importance, no matter how "boring" you may find it.

Last edited: