• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A topic to debate- Management of Heritage Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koscha

First up, thanks to all those who took the time to answer my questionnaire, Some of your comments were very interesting and have got me thinking.....

A lot of you have mentioned that the managers at your respective railways are lacking somewhat. Why is this? I'm not looking to cause bad feeling here, i'm just trying to understand, just why this has happened. Is it a lack of contact? Do they not relate to the volunteers well? Do they not take your opinions into account when making funding decisions?

Sorry so many questions, but i'm currently working along the lines that there are 2 types of volunteer management style relevant to the heritage railway system;

First is 'membership management' where the needs and desires of the volunteers are taken on board and policy is shaped by this. It is claimed this style makes for the happiest volunteers... would you agree with this?

Second is 'project managment'. This is where the organisation is run like a business first, with getting tasks done (such as revenue raising) first above all other considerations. This it is claimed makes for a more longer lasting organisation, but creates alienation and hence forth high turnover of volunteers...

Are there any volunteers who think that thier railway has managed to intergrate the two styles successfully? If so i'd love to hear about it, as this would make a for a perfect policy!

your thoughts would be appreciated. As always anonimity will apply if I choose to use a quote in my thesis and i'll contact you for permission to use it.

Fire Away! (though not at each other please) and not direct finger pointing or naming names either ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.