• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AC traction motors in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannytoro1

Greetings all. I came here interested to know what the state of AC traction motors used in the UK. More specifically if there are any 670kw class AC motors in the switching/shunting application?

In the USA there really are not any apart from those used on the Republic RX500 switcher. Which are a lot lighter duty. And of course the big EMD SD70 and GE AC series use plus 746kw ac traction.

I was curious if the advantages of synchronous AC drive in low speed/high torque applications had been done in the UK.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Locomotives form the Class 68 onwards have tended to use AC Motors.
The 68s use 600kW ABB units, beyond that I don't expect anything but AC motors to be used.
The last large locomotive orders of Class 66 and Class 60 are both DC motors, but where the 66 is a 'simple' series wound motor, the 60s are Sepex, which does bring some of the advantages of AC motors, but retains the near infinite starting torque and "simpler" controls. Although nowhere near as simple as previous locomotives like the 47.

Dannytoro1

Thanks.

I see here there are many thousands of switchers here. But all are more or less stuck using DC traction motors with all of their issues.

I am sort of shocked no companies saw a market for a drop in AC replacement motor to fit standard EMD and GE trucks.

There are plenty of great Tier 4 diesel engines, computer management, frequency inverters and power conditioners already around. Just no AC traction motors....lol

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Many hundreds of switchers (shunting locomotives) were built in the UK in the 1950s to a modified pre-war design, known as Class 08. This was a very simple design with a single DC motor (I think) and steam-type coupling rods between the wheels. Not many years later, big changes to the UK freight market began which have ultimately reduced switching to almost nothing as most freight runs in fixed trainloads.

This design is good enough for a not very demanding job and with so many having been built, is nearly always chosen for the few places where a dedicated shunting locomotive is needed. Elsewhere the "road locomotive" does whatever switching is needed.

There were some locomotives developed for industrial use over the years and one recent development is linked below. There are a few kW ratings for traction motors in the brochure link but I didn't see a mention of whether they are AC - but I guess they would be.

Clayton shunters / switchers & locomotives are becoming the haulage choice of UK industry

Cut carbon emissions by keeping on track with Clayton Equipment locomotives

Dannytoro1

Thanks. I'll check that out too.

Good info there. Looks like Hybrids are better received there. So far there have been a number of companies offering c/o-gen multiple small diesels, a number of dead end all battery locos and a few hybrids that have not entered production. EMD is pouring a lot of money into it's Leaf concept though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.