• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accessing Derby Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthjth

In a few weeks time I’m going on a rail tour that starts at Derby station at 0430. I’m contemplating staying in the Holiday Inn Express in Pride Park. I know nothing of the local area. Is it reasonably easy to walk from the hotel and enter the station at that time? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bangor-toad

Hi,
It's a very short walk to the eastern entrance of Derby station. It's just along Roundhouse Road and I think its about 250m to 300m.
However, I don't know what time that entrance opens. Derby apparently opens at 4:55am so you might have to walk round to the main entrance to get in early. That's a bit further - you have to walk up to the river, come under the railway tracks and the A6 and then head down to the main entrance. That looks to be about 800m to 1km walk.

I've never been near Derby station at that time of the day so I can't give any more tips...
Cheers,
Mr Toad

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Hi,
It's a very short walk to the eastern entrance of Derby station. It's just along Roundhouse Road and I think its about 250m to 300m.
However, I don't know what time that entrance opens. Derby apparently opens at 4:55am so you might have to walk round to the main entrance to get in early. That's a bit further - you have to walk up to the river, come under the railway tracks and the A6 and then head down to the main entrance. That looks to be about 800m to 1km walk.

I've never been near Derby station at that time of the day so I can't give any more tips...
Cheers,
Mr Toad
Even having to go that way round it still shouldn't take particularly long so definitely reasonably easy.

Hi, I've stayed at the HIE Pride Park a few times probably a 5-10 min walk to the station, assuming the Roundhouse entrance is open. Never arrived that early, but given there's a car park at that entrance/exit, I cant see why it wouldn't be open at that time. Especially as there's a few hotels located on that side of the station.

Pre-Covid, I started staying at the Derby Midland BW hotel, which is about 70 yards from the main entrance on the left. Lovely hotel with a great breakfast, although last time I looked in May 21, they were not accepting reservations.

Status
Not open for further replies.