• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket - using alternative operator for part of the journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
I’ve noticed LNER generally offer advances on their Harrogate services

£4.40 from Wakefield Westgate
£3.70 from Leeds

But if I start my journey in Castleford I have to buy an additional ticket to Leeds

If I bought the Wakefield advance would that be valid to then travel Castleford - Leeds via Northern then join LNER at Leeds?

A bit of a cheeky request perhaps but I’m curious now!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I’ve noticed LNER generally offer advances on their Harrogate services

£4.40 from Wakefield Westgate
£3.70 from Leeds

But if I start my journey in Castleford I have to buy an additional ticket to Leeds
Or Wakefield, as you prefer.
If I bought the Wakefield advance would that be valid to then travel Castleford - Leeds via Northern then join LNER at Leeds?
I can't see how it would be valid from Castleford, what would your argument be?

JBuchananGB

You 100% require the additional ticket from Castleford to Leeds for your journey from Castleford to Harrogate. You could split your tickets at Leeds so as to use the LNER Advance ticket for Leeds to Harrogate, but as far as I can tell any combination of Castleford - Leeds plus Leeds - Harrogate will cost more than a simple Castleford to Harrogate ticket.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are not LNER and Northern not just different brands of OLR?
They are legally speaking two different companies (London North Eastern Railway Limited and Northern Trains Limited). They simply happen to fall under common ownership.

Chiltern has dedicated "Chiltern only" fares from Leamington and Banbury to Birmingham but you can't use those on XC just because they're both owned by Arriva/DB.

johntea

Established Member
You 100% require the additional ticket from Castleford to Leeds for your journey from Castleford to Harrogate. You could split your tickets at Leeds so as to use the LNER Advance ticket for Leeds to Harrogate, but as far as I can tell any combination of Castleford - Leeds plus Leeds - Harrogate will cost more than a simple Castleford to Harrogate ticket.

Certainly a return journey you are correct but I only needed to make a single journey on Friday as I was staying overnight, so the combination of a £4.40 Castleford - Leeds single then the £3.70 Leeds - Harrogate advance saved a couple of quid!

Can be annoying sometimes how booking engines don't seem able to advise on using such a combination of tickets actually, like I've just done a search on the LNER booking engine for a Castleford - London Kings Cross trip in the middle of January and only get shown advance fares if I search Leeds - London Kings Cross for example!

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I've just done a search on the LNER booking engine for a Castleford - London Kings Cross trip in the middle of January and only get shown advance fares if I search Leeds - London Kings Cross for example!
That's not the booking engine,that's the Northern service not having an allocation for the LNER Advance.

Haywain

Veteran Member
That's not the booking engine,that's the Northern service not having an allocation for the LNER Advance.
It's that there are no Advance fares from Castleford to Harrogate. Nothing to do with availability on Northern.

nanstallon

More generally, if I buy an advance ticket,say from Plymouth to Taunton, for a specific train which stops at Totnes, would I be allowed to join the train at Totnes with that ticket?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
More generally, if I buy an advance ticket,say from Plymouth to Taunton, for a specific train which stops at Totnes, would I be allowed to join the train at Totnes with that ticket?
No, not under the terms and conditions of the ticket. (In practice, there are no ticket gates at Totnes so you would probably not encounter any issues but technically it isn't allowed.)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
According to the terms, no, but in practice the railway will not enforce this unless there is a clear intent to evade a fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.