• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alex's trip reports (ft. Least Used in Scotland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexf380

Established Member
I never realised how hard it was to come up with a catchy title until now!

Anyway, after reading through a few trip reports here I have decided to have a go myself. The one I've settled on for now is a Central Scotland 3 in 7, as it gives me three days to complete the task I've set out. That being, to clear the set of Class 170s due to move to Southern for haulage. I believe someone else has done something incredibly similar quite recently but the name escapes me!
I haven't done it yet, so sorry to anyone who was expecting a story here, but it will be before the month is out (I was thinking either 16th-18th or 23rd to 25th) as the first 4 will move down on or before April 1st (not joking!).
If on the off chance I clear them on the second or even first day and have time to kill, Ill pop over to Glasgow and get started on the 314s, as they are likely to go in the next few years and who knows how long it'll take to clear them all for haulage!

That's where I'm at right now folks. Any advice or tips for spending a day or two on the rails would be much appreciated as this is the first time I'm doing anything like this.

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The best place to score the 170s would be Haymarket - Edinburgh - shuttling between the two will get everything on Edinburgh - Dundee/Aberdeen/Inverness/Stirling/Dunblane/Fife Circle, and a few 158s sprinkled in as well. The Haymarket 8 (158782/6/9, 867 - 871) might also be worth getting if you can because their future in Scotland would appear limited following the decision to move 170301 - 309 down to Chiltern from TPE.

The Cathcart Circle would be your best bet for the 314s from what I gather, although I don't know so much about Glasgow as I do Edinburgh.

A few tips about this sort of thing generally:
  • Plan carefully, including contingency if anything goes wrong. When I did something similar in the North West (of England) I planned one of my days in such a way that if I left my origin station 90 minutes later, I could still get back at the same time that evening. It also saves time as you don't waste time figuring out a plan on the move - having said that if anything goes wrong then you may end up doing that anyway, but see above.
  • Carry change with you, as you never know when you may need it, for instance covering a bus fare or buying a chocolate bar of some description.
  • Take a pen & paper to record your moves, and a spare pen should you run out of ink. I find it easier to record moves the traditional way rather than using a smartphone.
  • Charge all batteries before you leave, for cameras, videocameras, mobile phone etc. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail as the mantra goes.
  • Try and do something different everyday, be it a new line, different area etc., otherwise it may be a tad repetitive.
  • This depends on your age and whether or not you will be going with anyone, but let someone know where you will be. The best way of doing that would be to leave a copy of your plan with them and text throughout the day saying where you are and if anything changes.
  • Most importantly of all, enjoy it!

alexf380

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I have a general idea of the Edinburgh area so I think I know what to expect there.

My plan for the day is basically see a train, get on it but I've got time to come up with a structure for the trip. Change shouldn't be a problem, as is pen and paper. Notebook to the rescue!
Thanks for the tips there, a few things I'd considered but some I hadn't.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The loveable 314s work mainly on the Cathcart Circle (Circle diagrams, Newton & Neilston), and the Paisley Canal branch. Lovely units, just make sure you don't need the loo.

If you need 318/320/334s then Patrick to Hyndland shuttles are a good bet, island platform at Hyndland which makes life a lot easier (although I think you will need a Roundabout ticket as the central scotland rover might not cover those lines)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You found it hard to create a title for this thread? Try coming up with catchy hashtags on Twitter or good trip titles 24 or more times a year! ;)

314s, well it varies depending on when you do them but I got 5 of them in one day last year. Granted, I did have two pairs of them on the Inverclyde route! Cathcart Circle, Neilston, Paisley Canal, Newton all get 314s so you'd have a good bit of luck there.

Don't just do Haymarket leaps as it gets so boring so quickly! So many routes to explore on one of the best value tickets in the land, I loved my Central Scotland trip and can't wait to do another one!

I think 43074 has covered all my usual points to bear in mind, I'll only add to make sure you allow time for meals!

alexf380

Established Member
Just made a wee discovery after looking at the validity map of the CenScot-3in7, It's not valid on the Cathcart Circle or any of its branches (as is the Maryhill line to Anniesland, surprisingly), so the alternative plan on 314 bashing is now "oot the windae" so to speak. I'll need another backup idea....let the brainstorming commence!

Just made a wee discovery after looking at the validity map of the CenScot-3in7, It's not valid on the Cathcart Circle or any of its branches (as is the Maryhill line to Anniesland, surprisingly), so the alternative plan on 314 bashing is now "oot the windae" so to speak. I'll need another backup idea....let theW brainstorming commence!

What you need in the Glasgow area is an SPT Day Runabout ticket.

Available at SPT outlets and at major stations. Should cost £6.50 a day and covers 110 stations in the old Strathclyde area, as well as Subway.

More details on www.spt.co.uk

Kite159

Veteran Member
You found it hard to create a title for this thread? Try coming up with catchy hashtags on Twitter or good trip titles 24 or more times a year! ;)

314s, well it varies depending on when you do them but I got 5 of them in one day last year. Granted, I did have two pairs of them on the Inverclyde route! Cathcart Circle, Neilston, Paisley Canal, Newton all get 314s so you'd have a good bit of luck there.

Don't just do Haymarket leaps as it gets so boring so quickly! So many routes to explore on one of the best value tickets in the land, I loved my Central Scotland trip and can't wait to do another one!

I think 43074 has covered all my usual points to bear in mind, I'll only add to make sure you allow time for meals!

Haymarket leaps gets boring after the first couple, nothing much of interest apart from tunnels and views of the castle. Better doing it on a weekly season ticket ;)

AndrewR232

I use this rover a lot. I feel it offers good value - at £12.10 per day it is cheaper than an Edinburgh-Glasgow Off-Peak Day Rtn at £12.60, so even if you did that and nothing else it's still a saving!

If you like, Alex, I can post a sample itinerary which will show the sorts of journeys I normally make with this rover.

Established Member
like many have said the SPT Roundabout ticket is cracking value, just get to Partick and buy it there as an add on, increase your boundaries. You'll get the 314's on the agenda to Paisley then.

AndrewR232

I also think it would be worth buying a Roundabout ticket as an add on, for one of the days you use the rover. The earliest train you could use the rover on would be the 0915 Edinburgh to Glasgow QS - if that arrives on time you could probably buy the Roundabout there and walk to Glasgow Central in time for the 1025 service to Gourock, which is (booked to run as) a 314.

I'm working on that itinerary, will definitely get it posted tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

alexf380

Established Member
That's not a bad shout indeed! If I manage to clear the 170s and 158s I want out the way I might just do that. No rush on the itinerary by the way, got about a week or so before things get serious.

Established Member
why walk if you get the roundabout ticket at Queen St. Hit the low level to Hyndland and get a train to Central. Suppose if your after a certain train, walking maybe quicker

Last edited:

alexf380

Established Member
Is it possible to do Queen St - Partick - Central in 15 mins or so, then walk up through the maze to the high level at Glasgow Central? I've never done the low level lines, I thought it would be longer than that.

alexf380

Established Member
09:15 Edinburgh - Glasgow QS arr 10:06
Hot foot it down to the low level platforms for the +5 connection onto the 10:11 to Helensburgh, arr Partick 10:17
Across the platforms for the 10:20 departure to Motherwell, arrive Glasgow Central 10:26. Don't think it would work I'm afraid.

AndrewR232

Ignoring the Roundabout idea for the moment, this is the sort of thing I would use the rover for (if I was starting from Edinburgh):

Edinburgh dep 0933 to Stirling arr 1024
Stirling dep 1123 to Glasgow QS arr 1203
Glasgow QS dep 1224 to Haymarket arr 1322½
Haymarket dep 1344½ to Kirkcaldy arr 1424
Kirkcaldy dep 1441 to Haymarket arr 1517
Haymarket dep 1553 to Carluke arr 1626
Carluke dep 1633 to Lanark arr 1643
Lanark dep 1651 to Glasgow Central arr 1741
Glasgow Central dep 1803 to Edinburgh arr 1910

Again, this is just something that I might do, which could be totally different from what you want to get out of the rover. But it might hopefully give you an idea or two. :)

alexf380

Established Member
Well folks, I've decided to do this bash over the coming week for two reasons, 1) I know my shifts at work and can plan around them and 2) I just want to get out there! So, that means that in just over 36 hours I'll be going on my first recorded bashing day. The first train I get is likely to be the 10:33 Edinburgh to Dunblane, which I know is a late start for most but I'm doing a late shift on Sunday night so an early start to Monday is not possible. Hopefully many a winner is caught over the three days and a good time is almost certainly going to be had! The accompanying trip report (can't resist doing one, seems like fun) shall be posted as the week goes by.

That's all for now,
Alex.

Established Member
Well folks, I've decided to do this bash over the coming week for two reasons, 1) I know my shifts at work and can plan around them and 2) I just want to get out there! So, that means that in just over 36 hours I'll be going on my first recorded bashing day. The first train I get is likely to be the 10:33 Edinburgh to Dunblane, which I know is a late start for most but I'm doing a late shift on Sunday night so an early start to Monday is not possible. Hopefully many a winner is caught over the three days and a good time is almost certainly going to be had! The accompanying trip report (can't resist doing one, seems like fun) shall be posted as the week goes by.

That's all for now,
Alex.
Happy hunting Alex, hope you get a load of winners

alexf380

Established Member
Just home from day 1 of the trip and all is well. 13 winners for haulage in total, with many more for sight. The trip report will be started this evening once everything has been sorted.

Bring on day 2!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Here we go then, trip report up a lot quicker than anticipted :D

My main goal for these three days is to clear the batch of 170s (415-424) due for transfer in the coming months, and at least score the "Haymarket 8" 158s (782,786,789,867-871) for sight, haulageif possible but no biggie of not. Here's what happened:

08:30 and the alarm goes off to signal the start of Central Scotland rover day 1. Morning routine and last minute prep finished and I’m out the door in plenty of time for the 09:43 Lothian Buses service 40 down to Brunstane, today in the hands of Bus no. 159.
Heavy traffic on the way in to town means a swift walk up the hill to Brunsatne station is required and I only just make it onto the platform as winner (there were a lot of those) 158729 is pulling in to whisk me away to Edinburgh. We arrive at 10:27, cutting it fine as there’s only 6 minutes to buy my ticket and head over to platform 18 for my next move, the 10:33 Dunblane. Luck was not on my side as I leave the ticket office at 10:32. Missed it. I scour the boards looking for a replacement train, and spy a Barbie liveried 170 on platform 13. I decide to opt for that as I want to clear those units as they are to move away soon.
Every cloud has a silver lining as they say and the unit turns out to be 170424. Score! On passing Haymarket depot I notice 170417 is sitting with some blue tape holding what looks like part of the bodywork to the rest of the train! Looks like she won’t be out in service today. I take 424 out to Linlithgow where there is a roughly 7 minute connection onto a service back to Edinburgh. However, the southbound Highland Chieftain (43251/43302 today) is running about 15 late. They pass and the Edinburgh train rolls in. would-be-winner 170458 was the unit but an express from Glasgow is due in a few minutes later. I let 458 go on the off chance I may score something better and would you believe it, 170423 appears and carries me away, fantastic! I alight at Haymarket to see what can be seen towards Fife, and shortly I’m onboard 158716 on a Perth train. The rover isn’t valid as far as Perth (only up to Markinch) so I get off at Inverkeithing and race over to platform 2 for a +3 connection onto 158720 back to Haymarket.
170422 is just leaving on a service to Edinburgh, so a quick check of RealtimeTrains suggests it will head out to Glasgow QS in about half an hour so I start planning moves. I contemplate 170406 to Falkirk but instead go for 334026 towards Edinburgh. On approach I see a Barbie 170 lurking in one of the west end bay platforms so I go and investigate. It’s 170407 on a Glenrothes train, which I use to fill the time until 422 is due out. I discover I’d have 5 minutes to run up and over at Haymarket, which I manage….just. 170422 is taken to Polmont where a chilly 14 minute wait is had until 170394 takes me back to Edinburgh for some lunch.
Burger King devoured, it’s time to head back to the action and 158741 is found on a Glenrothes working. 158870 is also on a Glenrothes train leaving 8 minutes later from a different platform, odd! (I later discover the earlier one goes via Kirkcaldy, whilst the later one via Dunfermline). On the way out of Edinburgh, I pass 170419 heading the other way and immediately work out its next move. It was due to work a Dundee service so I leave 158741 at Inverkeithing (again) and spend 12 minutes in the waiting room-come-fridge.
158870 comes and goes before, sure enough, 170419 rolls in and takes me to Kirkcaldy. Under and up to the southbound platform as I notice the second departure in line southbound is a through service to Newcraighall, which I can use to get home. A rough calculation works this out to be 158870 (having gone the full Fife circle) so instead of waiting in the cold at Kirkcaldy, I hop aboard 170471 so I can wait in the cold at Haymarket.
Upon leaving 471, however, I realise that there will be a longer wait here than anticipated, the best part of half an hour. To make matters worse, 170421 rolled in on platform 4 with a Glasgow train. I though seriously about running for it, and worrying about homeward moves once onboard, but by the time I have contemplated doing that the doors were closing and I’d missed the opportunity. Hey-ho, two more days on the rover still, plenty of chances still to come. What seems like an age passed before 158870 (I knew it!) rolled in to take me home.

All in all; 13 Winning haulages with 4 from the required group, 51 new units for sight and a few stations as well (but I'm not really keeping track of those). No trips tomorrow, working til 3pm and then my theatre company are meeting to rehearse, so it'll be Wednesday before I'm on the rails again. Bring it on!

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds very productive indeed, especially with scoring 51 units for sight in a local area! A good start to your target for the trip, hopefully Days 2 and 3 are equally good!

Certainly enjoyed the read and looking forward to reading more on Thursday's commute to work :)

alexf380

Established Member
Day 2 didn't quite go as planned. Cut the day short due to worsening cold-like symptoms. This also means I may not do day 3 tomorrow but might wait until Saturday as I have a bit of free time then.

Still managed quite a few winners today however, and a slightly shorter than desired report is still to follow.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It is difficult to keep bashing when ill, I had the same problem on this year's Kent Rover. Day Nurse sorted me out thankfully!

Hope you get better asap!

AndrewR232

It is a shame you had to finish early but probably best to take it easy for a day or two.

I also hope you will be better soon!

alexf380

Established Member
It's always a good sign when you start a day of bashing by taking cold and flu medication. :lol: I still needed 5 of the 9 I had set out to complete, and an early-ish start to the day filled me with confidence. Here's what happened:

An earlier start than Monday today, up at 7:20 and comfortably out the door in time for the 08:08 Lothian Buses service 40, today worked by 151 (SN57DCF). Another walk up to Brunstane station where today I have a few minutes to relax before double duds (surprisingly) 158733 and 158729 arrive on the 08:45 to Glenrothes. I opt for 733 as I had 729 yesterday from Brunstane. The plan is to take these to Haymarket, where I will board the 09:19 (09:15 off Edinburgh) to Glasgow, meaning I avoid the barriers at Waverley before the rover becomes valid. However, that almost didn't happen as when we arrived at Edinburgh, a cleaner came through and said the two units had split, and only 729 was heading through to Fife. I dash over to the awaiting unit with only about a minute or two to spare. That was close!
Arrival at Haymarket was uneventful, and a few minutes later i'm onboard a packed 170408. So busy in fact, that around Croy the guard decides to declassify first class, score! I finish the journey in style.
At Glasgow, there are a few minutes before my next move, so I note the comings and goings for a bit. One train that catches my eye is 170413 which is leaving to Aberdeen (I believe, could be wrong. Either way, I don't see it again throughout the day) 158789 arrives to form the 10:18 to Alloa, where I meet up with fellow enthusiast AndrewR232. We take this as far as Stirling, and then onto 170451 to Falkirk Grahamston, where I say goodbye to Andrew (he was staying on to Edinburgh) and I await my next move. Nothing passed by in the time I was waiting here, and the 11:38 to Dunblane got later and later as time went by. To my surprise, 170395 arrived on this train. I was expecting a 158, so begrudgingly I boarded, but only for a short hop to Larbert, where I was relieved from the Hull Trains train by......another Hull Trains train, 170393 carried me to Stirling. The plan was to stay on to Alloa but by this point I was starving and I wasn't sure of the facilities at Alloa, so I use the 20 minutes at Stirling to buy and consume a big bag of doritos. Yum!
My plan was now well and truly out the window and I started planning some moves to see what i could get. 170396 to Edinburgh? Not thanks, I'll pass. (looking through my notes at home, I probably should have taken this, as it would have cleared the ex-Hull Trains units for haulage) Eventually, freshly duddified 170471 comes in on a Glasgow service, which I take as far as Croy. After watching some Mk1 170s pass (nothing I want, mostly low numbered ones) 170451 (didn't I just have that from Stirling??) takes me to Glasgow for lunch.
A Greggs sandwich deal is sought and devoured (and what great value they are too) before joining Winner (yay! not had one of those in a while) 170409 on the 14:00 to Edinburgh, as far as Falkirk High. By now I'm feeling less than great and decide that if nothing else of value shows itself in half an hour or so, I'll call it a day. 170406 and 170407 both pass on Glasgow and Edinburgh trains. Nothing there. The 14:45 Glasgow approaches and I see it is another Barbie 170. Are things finally about to kick off??
No. 170408. The one I had earlier in the day.
I decide enough is enough, as luck isn't on my side today. I await the 14:52 to Edinburgh to take me home, no matter what the unit is. Yet another Barbie 170 comes round the corner, and any guesses what the number is?

170421.<(

I board the winning set, and contemplate reversing my decision to call it quits, but I decide the best thing would be just to have a rest for a couple of days.
170417 is seen on Haymarket Depot, still with the blue tape on its bodyside, and 170432 is also seen in a sorry state after it decided to go tree climbing outside Elgin last week. Edinburgh is reached just after three o'clock, and before I know it, I'm on an unidentified (I forgot to write down the number) 158 back to brunstane.

Not the best second day I could have wished for, with 7 winners for haulage, Only 1 from the "hit-list", and between 15-20 for sight.
It can only get better on Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.