• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alstom directors arrested on suspicion of fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dolive22

It's shocking. My jaw actually dropped, and I don't remember that hapenning before.

Do we know what the contracts were for?

Burkitt

Do we know what the contracts were for?

According to the article they were in Singapore, Indonesia Venezuela and Brazil in the late 1990s. In one specific case, it was alleged that Swiss and Brazilian police had met to discuss suspicions that Alstom paid $6.8m (£4.5m) to help win a $45m contract to expand Sao Paulo's underground network.

Paul

Dolive22

For some reason I just never had Alstom down as bent. I wasn't aware of the extent of their operations in the shadier parts of the world, and I didn't know how old the allegations were.

WatcherZero

Established Member
They changed their name didnt they? It used to be some longer unpronouncable french name and they simplified it to Alstom. What year was that?

ailsa

The land of crop circles and white horses
They changed their name didnt they? It used to be some longer unpronouncable french name and they simplified it to Alstom. What year was that?

Shamelessly copy-and-pasted from Wiki:
1928 - The beginning of Alsthom was from the merger of Thomson-Houston and Société Alsacienne de Constructions Mécaniques. (SACM)

The same is on the Alstom website, but as a Flash presentation, not so easy to drag and drop :p

Edit: My French is atrocious but I think that means "Alsatian Construction Society".

WatcherZero

Established Member
Ahh it was the 1989 name change I was thinking of thanks, must have just been the power generation unit of the company that changed however.

Burkitt

Alstom aren't the first major railway company to be done for bribery either. In 2008 Siemens was fined $1.6 billion for paying bribes totalling $1.4 billion including to Venezuelan officials to give them railway contracts.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.