• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alstom Pendolino variants

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeS

How many Alstom Pendolino variants are there?

In addition to carrying the Alstom name

I've seen (in the Milton Keynes area)
a) End cars with lots of black and extra black along the train
b) End cars effectively just carrying the Alstom branding, and the rest of the set looking normal
c) Vague memories of a set half way between a & b?

and I've seen photos of the 11 car variant.

Are the variants being added to quarter by quarter?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
By variant do you mean UK livery?

The Pendolino has been in existence on the continent for around 30 years or so, I've seen photographs of an Italian Railways one from the early1980s.

Dreadnought

Curerently

390004 has additional Alstom branding on nose and sides
390022, 390027 & 390052 have Alstom badges on nose plus the name of a British Olympian
390054 has Alstom badges on nose and Alstom Pendolino branding on the side (no Virgin branding) - also ran round for a while as 11 car though now only 9 car.

In addition 390029 has carried 2 advertising liveries, one for a Superman film and one for an event in Manchester (seem to remember it had gorillas on it!)

390031 also had Liverpool City of Culture branding around its nameplate for a while.

Thats all the varieties that I can remember anyway.

driver9000

Established Member
I hadn't realised the design was so old.

There are many different variations on the Pendolino built to suit the various countries that use them of which the 390 is just one. They all physically look different to each other in the same way the Siemens Desiro has different physical incarnations.

mallard

Established Member
They all physically look different to each other in the same way the Siemens Desiro has different physical incarnations.

Just pointing out that the "Desiro UK" is pretty much a completely different design to the continental "Desiro"...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
How many Alstom Pendolino variants are there?

In addition to carrying the Alstom name

I've seen (in the Milton Keynes area)
a) End cars with lots of black and extra black along the train
b) End cars effectively just carrying the Alstom branding, and the rest of the set looking normal
c) Vague memories of a set half way between a & b?

and I've seen photos of the 11 car variant.

Are the variants being added to quarter by quarter?

I think they are all the same "Variant" but have a slightly different livery

Mr Spock

In addition 390029 has carried 2 advertising liveries, one for a Superman film and one for an event in Manchester (seem to remember it had gorillas on it!)

The livery was to advertise a show called "Monkey-Journey to the West".

starrymarkb

Established Member
By variant do you mean UK livery?

The Pendolino has been in existence on the continent for around 30 years or so, I've seen photographs of an Italian Railways one from the early1980s.

Older still - They go back to the 1960s! Early models were passive tilt while later models were active tilt (the sold APT technology helped Fiat refine the tech but they were at a pretty similar stage to the UK in their research)

IIRC the UK Pendos don't use the Fiat tilt system as per Europendos, instead using SIG gear

Status
Not open for further replies.