• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

An Amtrak train with 183 passengers has been stranded in snowy Oregon since Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adlington

After record snow slammed Oregon, almost 200 people remain trapped on a train that came to a sudden stop Sunday [24 Feb.] evening south of Eugene.
After 36 hours stuck in one spot, the train finally started moving Tuesday [26 feb] morning. But it stopped again after about half a mile.
Amtrak said no one was hurt Sunday when the train hit a tree that had fallen onto the tracks.

With the help of heat, power and (so far) food, passengers said the mood on board has been surprisingly upbeat. "It's just been like a giant kumbaya party," Rebekah Dodson told CNN early Tuesday. "Strangers are playing cards. A teenager played his ukulele to kids to get them to sleep. Ladies who have never met before were dancing in aisles."

Still, she said, the ordeal has been stressful as passengers cannot go anywhere. The train is surrounded by feet of snow. Some Los Angeles-bound college students have "panicked" because their professors won't accept their excuse for missing class, Dodson said.

"Due to worsening conditions, area road closures and no viable way to safely transport passengers or crews via alternate transportation, Train 11 stopped in Oakridge, Oregon," [Amtrak spokesman] said. "We are actively working with Union Pacific to clear the right of way and get passengers off the train." The train had power and enough food on board, for which passengers will not be charged,

But Dodson said Tuesday morning that passengers had been told breakfast would be the last meal available. She said she can see nearby Oregon Highway 58, closed due to snow and ice. The town of Oakridge has no electricity due to the weather, she said.

The National Weather Service had predicted Sunday that up to 2 feet could fall in the area. By Tuesday morning, at least a foot had accumulated, the weather service said. Oakridge averages 1.1 inches in February.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/26/us/oregon-train-passengers-stranded-trnd/index.html

For comparison: a year ago hundreds of freezing passengers have been stranded overnight on trains between Waterloo and Bournemouth with no food or heating as the big freeze caused rail lines to buckle amid intense snow (and I don't think "intense" means 2 feet).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/26/us/oregon-train-passengers-stranded-trnd/index.html

For comparison: a year ago hundreds of freezing passengers have been stranded overnight on trains between Waterloo and Bournemouth with no food or heating as the big freeze caused rail lines to buckle amid intense snow (and I don't think "intense" means 2 feet).

Not a reasonable comparison. Amtrak Train 11, aka the southbound Coast Starlight, runs 1377 miles from Seattle to Los Angeles, taking approx 35 hours, and has already covered 350 miles by the time it reaches Oakridge. Waterloo to Bournemouth by comparison is 108 miles. Not surprising then that the Amtrak train is equipped like a land cruise with plenty of provisions. But OTOH the Pacific North west region away from the high mountains has a relatively mild climate, almost a wet version of southern England, and snow is unusual. This winter however is different; Seattle has struggled with the first meaningful snowfall in many years and it is not too surprising that the PacNW region is generally a little disrupted in the same way that we are when a proper winter happens.

It's all down to the Northern Polar Jetstream behaving in an untypical manner. Across North America it's way south of its usual track bringing polar air across the whole US (even Las Vegas has seen snow) but this side of the Atlantic is swinging around to the north of the UK bringing tropical air from the Caribbean, hence the record breaking temperature highs we have been experiencing recently.

Adlington

Not a reasonable comparison.
I agree, but on numerous occasions I was told in uncertain terms by Their Excellencies The Moderators that when creating a new subject I should make a comment on the quoted material, something to start a discussion.
So a discussion follows....

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
One of the best known (and serious) incidents of a passenger train getting stranded in the US due to snow happened in 1952 on Donner Pass (in California) - the City of San Francisco train was almost buried by snow (by a fierce blizzard) for three days - see https://www.sfchronicle.com/thetake/article/Snowbound-in-the-Sierra-3-days-of-hell-on-a-6880330.php

(photo from that article)
gallery_xlarge.jpg

That winter the summit of the pass accumulated about 20 metres of snowfall - it averages about 10 m.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

At least one of those was in a station (Brockenhurst, I think) where the passengers could quite possibly have availed themselves of local hotels which would have had one or two no-shows, but most I think chose to kip on the train rather than spend money.

Adlington

At least one of those was in a station where the passengers could quite possibly have availed themselves of local hotels which would have had one or two no-shows, but most I think chose to kip on the train rather than spend money.
One or two non-shows for a hundred passengers... 50 to a bed seems sort of uncomfortable.

BTW, would the passengers who did go to a hotel get a refund for accommodation from the train operator?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One or two non-shows for a hundred passengers... 50 to a bed seems sort of uncomfortable.

I was being a bit sarcastic, to be fair - I'd expect in those conditions many no-shows. Though I don't know how many hotel beds there are in Brockenhurst, it isn't massive even if it is a tourist trap.

Adlington

the City of San Francisco train was almost buried by snow (by a fierce blizzard) for three days - see https://www.sfchronicle.com/thetake/article/Snowbound-in-the-Sierra-3-days-of-hell-on-a-6880330.php
The quoted article says
The lack of ventilation had contributed to near-asphyxiation for about 60 passengers as gas from a broken coupler leaked into one of the cars.
Questions:
a) what does any sort of gas do in the coupler?
b) the coupler is on the outside - why/how did the gas leak into the carriage?

ac6000cw

Established Member
I suspect it refers to a pipe coupler (joint in a gas pipe) rather than the coupler between coaches.
That is my take on it too.

There is no gas involved in the (purely mechanical) auto-couplers between the vehicles. Heating would have been steam and lighting electric in those days, cooking probably used compressed gas (maybe stored in cylinders under the floor) which I suspect is where the gas leak came from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.