• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any idea on when Parkrun might be up and running again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
I’m sure most of you have heard of Parkrun, the popular event that takes place every Saturday where you do 5k at your local park and your time gets published on their website. I am a keen member, having joined last August, but due to the Coronavirus, all events have been suspended since March, with no word on when they might resume again.

I understand the spirit of Parkrun is for lots of people to get together and the event would not be the same without that atmosphere, but social distancing is likely to be in place until some time next year which would render large gatherings impossible until then. Having not done a Parkrun since February (due to bad weather before COVID), and with many sectors reopening, I would like to think that they could start a phased return to physical events sooner rather than later. Maybe introduce a limit on how many people can attend each week with advance reservations compulsory. If that does not satisfy demand, maybe introduce more Parkruns on different days of the week, or allow people to do their run alone on Strava then submit their time to the Parkrun database.

These are just some ideas, but it would be nice to have some clarity on when Parkrun might be starting again, particularly as most indoor gyms and sports facilities are now open. Are there any fellow parkrunners on here who feel the same?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would think it will be a while, possibly a few years. The larger events get up to 800 people and there is no practical way to control it even with reservations because it occurs in a public place so Parkrun would have no right to stop people simply turning up and running (though if unbooked they'd presumably not get a time).

I think they're stuck with "virtual" until large, non distanced public outdoor gatherings are allowed again, which isn't going to be soon.

The upside for them is that their income streams are unrelated to participation so being suspended for a very long period won't kill them.

I reckon them getting on board with some sort of app based couch to 5K thing, or possibly even "run our route in your own time" via an app, is probably the best they can do for now and I'm sure they are thinking about it.

PTR 444

Established Member
I would think it will be a while, possibly a few years. The larger events get up to 800 people and there is no practical way to control it even with reservations because it occurs in a public place so Parkrun would have no right to stop people simply turning up and running (though if unbooked they'd presumably not get a time).

I think they're stuck with "virtual" until large, non distanced public outdoor gatherings are allowed again, which isn't going to be soon.

The upside for them is that their income streams are unrelated to participation so being suspended for a very long period won't kill them.

I reckon them getting on board with some sort of app based couch to 5K thing, or possibly even "run our route in your own time" via an app, is probably the best they can do for now and I'm sure they are thinking about it.

I’d imagine a “run your own route app” is probably going to have to be best option for now. Thinking about it, there’s nothing to stop people just turning up and forming unofficial Parkruns at their local park. My local during uni term time, Southampton was the second busiest in the country, with over 1200 participants a week in January, and was even featured in the local news for that feat. It got so busy they had to expand the finishing lanes and even start up a new event at Itchen Valley a few miles away. Think that was just two weeks before lockdown.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I’d imagine a “run your own route app” is probably going to have to be best option for now. Thinking about it, there’s nothing to stop people just turning up and forming unofficial Parkruns. at their local park. My local during uni term time, Southampton was the second busiest in the country, with over 1200 participants a week in January, and was even featured in the local news for that feat. It got so busy they had to expand the finishing lanes and even start up a new event at Itchen Valley a few miles away. Think that was just two weeks before lockdown.

I don't doubt that some people are rocking up on Saturday at 9am and running their regular route, but to avoid them ending up in disrepute Parkrun have asked people not to do that (but rather to do random times and routes instead) and given the nature of the beast I think most people will comply.

The silver lining in the cloud is that it literally is just a case of saying "go" once distancing can be eventually ended. It's such a simple organisation that if told yesterday they could restart normally, I don't doubt that most of them would have operated today, or at worst for the ones needing lots of marshals next week. But I just don't think the concept works with any form of distancing in place - running clubs do, but not Parkrun.

PTR 444

Established Member
Parkrun is hoping to resume events from next month

parkrun Global Chief Executive Officer Nick Pearson announces intent to resume parkrun events in England toward the end of October.

Ever since parkrun events closed in the UK and across the world, we’ve been focused on understanding how and when we would be able to resume in a safe and appropriate way.

Throughout, we have sought to understand the evidence, to be a part of discussions with government and public health bodies, to listen to the parkrun community, and to communicate regularly, transparently and honestly.

Following detailed conversations with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), Sport England, and Public Health England, I am delighted to announce that we intend to reopen parkrun and junior parkrun events in England toward the end of October this year.

Unfortunately, as things stand, and due to current restrictions across Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, we are not able to commit to the same timeline across the other Home Nations. However, we are aware of the implications of only opening in England and are continuing our work to overcome the challenges that this presents. We are also as committed as ever to opening our events outside of England as soon as possible.

Over the years, we’ve come to understand the significant health benefits of being physically active, together, in the great outdoors. It boosts our self-esteem and mood, increases sleep quality and energy, builds immunity, reduces the risk of developing many diseases, and promotes quality of life.

Whilst the public health benefits of parkrun events have been clear for many years, the last six months have increased inequalities around health and wellbeing, with many people more isolated and less active than ever in their life. Across many communities our events provide the most accessible and inclusive opportunities for people, of all abilities and backgrounds, to come together and be active. Disadvantaged communities have been hit the hardest and likely have the most challenging journeys ahead of them, and with every passing week, and with winter approaching, those challenges become greater.

Since we first started back in 2004, thousands of people have shared their stories of how parkrun not only changed their life, but saved their life, and we know that every week without parkrun represents a cost to the health and wellbeing of hundreds of thousands of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.