• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any suggestions for an overnight stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

les.

We will be making our annual trip up to Plockton in The Scottish Highlands in May. We usally break our journey overnight but this time we are traveling up from Grimsby in one day.

However, coming back I am looking for somewhere decent to stop off for a night on the way back. So far we have broken our journey at Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling, Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy and Aberdeen but was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations for somewhere decent to stop off on the way back.

Not really bothered about there being anything of interest train related but would just like to stop off somewhere new with a decent town centre/seafront close to either the Inverness to Glasgow/Edinburgh lines or the line from Inverness across to Aberdeen and down to Edinburgh.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anti-pacer

Established Member
My mate lives in Carrbridge, I'll give him a bell for you. He's got a big house.

Seriously though, Cairngorm Hotel opposite Aviemore station is lovely, but if you're wanting to be further south I can recommend the Castle View B&B in Edinburgh. The very top room is really nice, the breakfast is lovely, and it's very cheap. It's in Tollcross so a short bus ride from Waverley station.

les.

My mate lives in Carrbridge, I'll give him a bell for you. He's got a big house.

Seriously though, Cairngorm Hotel opposite Aviemore station is lovely, but if you're wanting to be further south I can recommend the Castle View B&B in Edinburgh. The very top room is really nice, the breakfast is lovely, and it's very cheap. It's in Tollcross so a short bus ride from Waverley station.

We were thinking about Aviemore but wasn't sure if there was much there or not. Don't really want to stop over in Edinburgh as we've done that 3 or 4 times before.

anti-pacer

Established Member
We were thinking about Aviemore but wasn't sure if there was much there or not. Don't really want to stop over in Edinburgh as we've done that 3 or 4 times before.

Well the hotel is literally across the road from the station so it's handy for the train. There's plenty of pubs, restaurants, etc. Depends what you want really. The countryside around Aviemore is also lovely.

les.

Well the hotel is literally across the road from the station so it's handy for the train. There's plenty of pubs, restaurants, etc. Depends what you want really. The countryside around Aviemore is also lovely.

Sounds good. Looks like it might be Aviemore to stop over at this time. Cheers.

Veteran Member
No idea about accommodation, but Perth? Or Pitlochry if it's not too touristy?

leightonbd

Let me put a word in for Dunkeld & Birnam, two adjacent/ contiguous villages or small towns. Especially in May. Aviemore has bustle but if you can't see the majestic Cairngorms view it is, scenically, just a bit drab. Dunkeld, with the river in the heart of the town, and the cathedral, is a much better walkaround.

Status
Not open for further replies.