• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone familiar with Crewe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn1975

Hi all,

Is anyone familiar with Crewe? We're planning a trip to the Heritage Centre - just wondering if there is anything else worth visiting whilst we are there?

Also, any suggestions for places to eat would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You could walk down Gresty Lane to Gresty Bridge DRS depot. The gate off the road is usually open (but not the one into the depot!) You can get good views of the locos closest to the road.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Not sure what you're tastes are food wise, but leaving the station via the new exit/entrance on Weston Rd a 3 minute walk across the car park will bring you to Crewe Central Premier Inn with its onsite pub/restaurant. stayed here for a couple of nights recently and ate breakfast twice which was quite ok, they do food all day but didn't sample that so can't comment on its quality, prices look very reasonable though. Also the the refurbished Crewe Arms hotel is just opposite the the main station entrance, this has a restaurant if that's what you are looking for.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
There are reasonable Indian and Thai places on Nantwich Road, a shorter stroll from the station.

About 3/4 mile walk from the station and not far from the Heritage Centre is Hops Bar. Google around for more information - they don't seem to have a full website.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Passage to india does very nice food, but avoid the garlic naan breads as they just spread garlic paste on the naan after it's been cooked, very messy.

Hops bar is great but only does food at lunchtime, and then restricted to sarnies and the like. There's another pub just up from Hops which does more substantial food and a 'spoons a bit further

martinsh

Established Member
ops bar is great but only does food at lunchtime, and then restricted to sarnies and the like.
Hops doesn't do food at all on Sundays unfortunately

There's another pub just up from Hops which does more substantial food and a 'spoons a bit further
Alberts Corner - food is good but pricey. Gaffer's Row (the Spoons) is next to the bus station.

Two mins walk from station on Nantwich Road is Giovannis - an Italian restaurant that's been a Crewe institution since 1980. Expensive but very good - I have a friend who frequently drives all the way from Gloucester to go there !

The best fish & chip shop is opposite the Crewe Alex football ground, but opening times sre limited. [ Mon - Sat lunch & early evening I think ]

Plenty of other places on Nantwich Road.

For a beer, I recommend the craft ale house Beerdock on Nantwich Road - about 10 mins walk on right hand side. Look for the vbenches on the pavement. [ Closes at 8pm Mon -Wed and 5pm Sundays ]

gordonthemoron

Established Member
beer wise there's also the Borough which is quite close to the Heritage Centre (follow WCML and cross the first bridge on the right)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
And for crap service (not up to the usual chain brand standard at all) go to spoons - the Crewe branch without a doubt the worst Iv ever visited!

It's a good walk from the station. I went in there one lunchtime and there was only one person serving. On top of that, somebody with the appearance of a rep was trying to tie the girl up further,

martinsh

Established Member
And for crap service (not up to the usual chain brand standard at all) go to spoons - the Crewe branch without a doubt the worst Iv ever visited!

Really ? What's wrong with it ?

It's not my favourite branch by any means, but I was in 6 Spoons branches over the weekend, none of which I could honestly say was overall better than the Crewe one. [ And I've certainly never had beer as foul in Crewe, as I did in one of those other branches ]

Blindtraveler

Established Member
On my 1 and only visit there were 3 members of staff in total only 1 of them (the manager) was old enough to sell booz. The other 2 were a young lad in the kitchen and serving food and a girl who admitted she was only just 16 clearing up and cleaning as well as washing dishes and glases. TBF my Large mixed grill was faultless but shouldnt have wated an hour for it and every time something ran out at the bar it was a long time before it was available again.

martinsh

Established Member
On my 1 and only visit there were 3 members of staff in total only 1 of them (the manager) was old enough to sell booz. The other 2 were a young lad in the kitchen and serving food and a girl who admitted she was only just 16 clearing up and cleaning as well as washing dishes and glases. TBF my Large mixed grill was faultless but shouldnt have wated an hour for it and every time something ran out at the bar it was a long time before it was available again.

If that's the worst experience you've ever had in a Wetherspoons then you've been very lucky !

Not that I think your experience was acceptable of course. There ARE usually more staff than that on duty at Crewe - even at quiet times.

Statto

Established Member
Although i've never been in them there's a few boozers on Nantwich Road within a few minutes minutes of Crewe Station, also a few Cafe's that do Breakfasts also on the Nantwich Road short walk from the Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.