• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are there any steam / preserved lines near Wiesbaden or Koblenz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

I'm visiting both in August on two separate trips, so thought I would check.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dutchflyer

Established Member
depends what you call nearby. But most that I know-the tipical weekend only-old lines now run by enthusiasts are more old diesel/railbus. Steam may run-but in DE thats often only on some special weekends or for special occasions. It may even be on the normal mainline.
On the best german forum, drehscheibe-online.de, you can find links to about anything that Germany has to offer, there should also be a general overview of such tourist//heritage-operations.

maxiboy

I was on a steam service between Bensheim and Worms last October, it was operated by the Darmstadt-Kranichstein Railway Museum, not too far from Wiesbaden.

Deutsche Bahn operates a railway museum at Koblenz. (Their main corporate museum is in Nürnberg though. Admission free for DB frequent travellers (bahn.comfort), discounts for others upon production of a valid rail or local public transport ticket valid for the day.)

Veteran Member
Not steam mostly but check out Eifelquerbahn in the Koblenz area. And Rhein in Flammen fireworks.

steevp

Not steam mostly but check out Eifelquerbahn in the Koblenz area. And Rhein in Flammen fireworks.

Unfortunately the Eifelquerbahn is no more :cry:

"The volcano Eifel-Bahn Betriebsgesellschaft mbH (VEB) regrets communicated to, that more will be 2013 no leisure traffic season of the Eifel railway. For 12 years, rattled the historic Railbuses until October in the 2-hourly between Daun, Gerolstein and Kaisersesch, ELMS now from may, in the summer, complemented by the very popular steam trains and transported several hundred thousand passengers. We would like to further offered the rides, however, it lacks funds for much-needed investment to the maintenance of the rail infrastructure. Unfortunately they could not provided on the part of the State of Rhineland-Palatinate also, as the Vulkaneifel district day with a majority of CDU and citizens Union Vulkaneifel (BUV) has spoken out against the Eifel railway. Rien ne va plus!

The VEB thanked for the support over the years and hopes that the Eifel railway remains all passengers in good memories with your Railbuses and the always friendly service on the trains!" - translated by Google

It is not local (about an hour away) and not steam either, but I have done the Drachenfels railway at Königswinter and would recommend it

Last edited:

stuartmoss

I ended up going on the Nerobergbahn - a very nice but short ride with great views, I would certainly recommend it if you're ever in the area, and they take Bahncard discounts!

[youtube]XF0fyyFEgWo[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.